S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How popular is the S in the 17-24 age bracket?

Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default How popular is the S in the 17-24 age bracket?

Where is the S2000 on you and your friends top 5 list to buy? When the S came out in 99' it was love at first sight for me as a 21 year old.

My question is, does the S2000 still have that much appeal to kid today, even if it's a very old car in terms of car years. 14 years ago is like a century in car years and it really shocks me the car is still so popular. The only other "old" Japanese car that I can think of that's so popular is the Supra.

Reading posts about younger kids doing anything to pick up an unmolested S makes me wonder how long can the want of this car to go.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well for me i am 19 and i remember seeing the s2000 when it was new and wasnt as much in to cars back then but when i became i teenager i thought it was badass and pretty much told myself "i gotta get one of those one day" and after i got a part time job and saved it i got one right before i turned 18 ( I paid for everything myself). i drove that one for about 7 months and then some kid in a 90's SUV decided to take me out and luckily i got 3,000$ more than i paid for it and took that money to buy another s2k, same year as before (MY2001) with less miles than before too and ive had it since then and want to keep it as long as possible it only have 30,000 miles as of now!

edit: also pretty much all my friends around my age like it and wonder why i got the car goes for a pretty cheap price. I guess 10 year old cars can only hold so much value!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by DallasAp1
Well for me i am 19 and i remember seeing the s2000 when it was new and wasnt as much in to cars back then but when i became i teenager i thought it was badass and pretty much told myself "i gotta get one of those one day" and after i got a part time job and saved it i got one right before i turned 18 ( I PAID FOR EVERYTHING NO OOH YOUR MOMMY BOUGHT IT). i drove that one for about 7 months and then some kid in a 90's SUV decided to take me out and luckily i got 3,000$ more than i paid for it and took that money to buy another s2k, same year as before (MY2001) with less miles than before too and ive had it since then and want to keep it as long as possible it only have 30,000 miles as of now!

edit: also pretty much all my friends around my age like it and wonder why i got the car goes for a pretty cheap price. I guess 10 year old cars can only hold so much value!
What's your friends thoughts on the car?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 22 and i first loved the s2000 when my aunt had bought a AP1 brand new in 2002. Ever since that day when i was 12 i wanted and loved that car, rember i was a kid and being that young had no idea about cars or anything. Now after growing up a little and another ten years have gone by and graduating college, i set out to buy my s2000 and i bought a 2005 AP2 and i love every second of it this car is like a dream come true and people young and old applaud and acknowledge this car as being unique and a nice car
Old 12-02-2012, 11:37 AM

Received 3,390 Likes on 2,461 Posts

I too fell in love with the car when I was "younger" but I wasn't in a position to spend $45K on a second vehicle. Lucky for me the value of this car has dropped to more affordable levels now that I'm middle aged and I can spend a bit of money on a toy.

In our country these cars still aren't that affordable for younger folks as can be a bit expensive for insurance for a younger person and pricing here is a goog bit higher than in the US. Plus they are are mostly a 3 season vehicle, so you almost need a second vehicle to drive in winter if you put this car in storage, not too many teenagers willing to maintain 2 vehicles. I think the cars are still attractive to the younger crowd that grew up knowing Hondas over musclec cars, and the design of the S2000 is almost timeless in terms of exterior design. I would say the last 10 S2000 owners who recently purchased their S2000's that I have met were all middle-aged, I don't know too many S2000 owners who are really young. I think once the age group that grew up with Fast and Furious movies get much older the following group of vehicle owners will be into newer cars coming out these days.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 22 and the s2000 was my first car I bought. In high school I drove my dad's accord (I4 manual) but when I went to Austin for undergrad I didn't really need a car as everything was pretty close and public transport was great. Going into graduate school out here in LA I realized pretty quickly that I needed a car to get around (LA is a huge sprawl of a city and public transport is terrible). I had a few cars on my mind (GTI, mazdaspeed3, miata, frs, g35, 350z, m3, etc) but after test driving all of them the only car I really fell in love with was the s2000. It's a thrill to drive, unique to anything else on the street, feels close to the road, and very minimalistic without all the silly gadgets that most cars try to tout. It felt like a car that was meant for driving, not for doing 5 different things while getting from point A to point B. Being a convertible is also a huge plus for living in socal and almost everyday I drive it topless. My parents were a little doubtful when I was spending $20k on a 8 year old car when I could have gotten a new civic or something used for even less, but I think the fact that I had been contemplating getting a motorcycle again made them happy I was picking that wouldn't have a high chance of death (LA traffic here is a lot worse than Austin). Also, it's a Honda, so I knew it would have great reliability and being in a PhD program I don't have a lot of time to spend fixing cars or waiting for expensive repairs (main reason I didn't even contemplate a 50k+ m3).

Anyways, in short, it's a great car. My grad friends love it and are always surprised when we walk out to the parking garage to drive somewhere. I also love the conversations I get with other car enthusiasts when I'm filling up at gas stations. Really feels like you're part of a group, something I always loved when I had my motorcycle and you would wave at each other when passing. Hope to have her for many more miles, LA drivers please be kind! (I see way too many wrecked cars on my commute down sunset blvd everyday).
Old 12-02-2012, 01:15 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/969...ners-age-poll/
http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.p...wners-Age-Poll
Old 12-02-2012, 02:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In that age group, most would probably admire S2000's, Porshe's, and other sports cars but, speaking for myself and the way I was at that age, it was high performance Mustangs and Camero's, hemi's etc .Guessing that is the way it still is and will always will be in this country.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:12 PM

That really cleared things up, lol. The 2 polls were totally different.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Well, if you add the numbers together I think you'll get your answer

Quick Reply: How popular is the S in the 17-24 age bracket?