S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need some help regarding insurance!

Old 03-23-2016, 01:26 PM
HCN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some help regarding insurance!

Hello, so my car was broken into and my OEM hard top was stolen.

After talking with the insurance, they are estimating around $9593.70 for the OEM hard top, parts and driver side window on a Clean Title 2004 AP2 with 106k miles.

I heard of s2k being total lost due to seat thefts but does this sound right?

What are my options?

thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

A total loss in an insurance eyes (in this case) means the cost of repairs exceeds 50% of the vehicle's market value. With that in mind, yes it can definitely be a total loss depending on your vehicle's market value in your area.
Old 03-23-2016, 03:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Depending on the market, I've known it to be 75-80% of value.
Old 03-23-2016, 04:50 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If they say it's totaled, you can typically "buy it back" from them---they would just deduct the amount of the buyback from the check they write you and you keep the car. Then you would pay for any repairs on the car yourself. Most insurance companies are very open to this because they don't have to deal with taking posession of the car and disposing of it via auction or a salvage dealer.

I'd get an independant estimate on the cost of repairs not including replacement of the hardtop. That way you'll know what it would cost to repair it and that may help you decide what you want to do.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't sound like they are trying to total it but rather estimate the cost for repair(s) and value of lost items (the hard top). I think their estimate is not far off for the hard top and repairs you mentioned. Is there something in particular you are wondering, like if they should total the car instead?
Old 03-24-2016, 08:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is a solid estimate. You can ask for a check and repair the car yourself and put away several thousand easily. Request a check and buy another oem top for $3000 get a used window put it in and have $7000 in your pocket. They total cars usually at the 70% threshold and as far as buying it back if it is totaled it depends on your insurance company and state. I've seen lots of times the cars get parts titles or cod certificate of destruction which means the car cannot be driven on a public road with very minor repairs needed. Those are the cars I tend to bid on at the insurance auctions. Good luck
Old 03-24-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about the lost.
There has been a lot of thieves going around and stealing hardtops in southern califorina lately
A friend of mine had his hard top stolen too in Ktown.
You should get the cash and repair the window and pick up another hardtop, hopfully no damages on the seats too.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:02 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

You can negotiate the total if that's what they are doing, just obtain some comparable cars you can find on the web to substantiate the value you want. that sounds a bit low, at least based on prices here in Norcal. If they total it and pay you it will have a salvaged title and you can buy it back, be ware for ins purposes that means it has diminished value and maybe worth, say, as example 1/2 of the current market for a non salvaged car, but you will have the car and cash to fix it up.

You can also take some cash and part the car out, again sounds like a total and it sounds a bit low.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:28 PM

Received 1,112 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by HCN
Hello, so my car was broken into and my OEM hard top was stolen.

After talking with the insurance, they are estimating around $9593.70 for the OEM hard top, parts and driver side window on a Clean Title 2004 AP2 with 106k miles.

I heard of s2k being total lost due to seat thefts but does this sound right?

What are my options?

thanks
Pics of the damage?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Too Many Stolen Hardtops - Kodokan Needs to Come Back!

Quick Reply: I need some help regarding insurance!