S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

intercooler

Old 06-23-2001, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intercooler

Does anyone make one for the s2k? Would it be good to have one if you don't have a turbo? Thanks
Old 06-23-2001, 12:14 PM

an intercooler w/o a turbo will actually slow you down...instead of air just being sucked through your intake filter, it's gonna be sucked through the intercooler (which has lots of bends and piping) even on turbo cars it will slow you down unless you're running lots of boost on a larger turbo.
Old 06-23-2001, 01:48 PM

Actually, I found the S2k to be fairly sensitive to high temperatures. . . not to the extreme of a car running forced induction, but sensitive nevertheless.

One solution to address this is to go with an aquamist system. They are well built, are from england, and have been used by tuners running positive displacement blowers (since routing of an aftercooler/intercooler is difficult with positive displacement blowers).

I know some run an isopropyl/water mix, and add ice in the tank for running at the track.

Not sure how this would work out on a N/A car, but in theory it should work just fine.
Old 06-23-2001, 05:00 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by legendr34
[B]an intercooler w/o a turbo will actually slow you down...instead of air just being sucked through your intake filter, it's gonna be sucked through the intercooler (which has lots of bends and piping)
Old 06-23-2001, 06:03 PM

Gees louise...I know i'm not professional mechanic by any means...but I think i've been around "hooking" up cars long enough to say...no, intercooler is not beneficial for a NA car.

I've read a lot threads here on the board...and it seems as though several of the folks are complete novices to tuning cars. I couldn't but help laugh at this thread. Peoples' ignorance is so amusing at times. The things folks ask sometimes.

SH YONG
Old 06-23-2001, 06:09 PM

When running a turbo, the air gets heated cause it passes right by the exhaust piping through the turbo and it is compressed creating additional heat. The intercooler is designed to cool this air back down closer to the temperature the air is around you.

Its not beneficial on a NA car because the air coming in is already the same temperature as the air outside. The intercooler will not be able to cool the air any more than it already is.

Intercoolers look cool though.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shyong
[B]
I've read a lot threads here on the board...and it seems as though several of the folks are complete novices to tuning cars.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:19 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shyong
[B]Gees louise...I know i'm not professional mechanic by any means...but I think i've been around "hooking" up cars long enough to say...no, intercooler is not beneficial for a NA car.
Old 06-23-2001, 06:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tanqueray
[B]

Um, thanks for laughing at other posters "ignorance".
Old 06-23-2001, 06:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eze8199
[B]

You're an asshole, man.

Quick Reply: intercooler