S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Jacking up the S

Old 06-16-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jacking up the S

This may be a really dumb question, but I'm gonna ask anyway... Using just the jack that came with the car, is it possible to change more than 1 wheel at once? The reason I ask is because I'm getting ready to do the caliper paint thing and I'm wondering whether it'll be possible to do more than one caliper at a time.

Please don't shoot me! I'm just a newbie, remember!

Dean
Old 06-16-2004, 12:48 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Okay Mr Newbie ,

I do brake caliper painting (check my sig line), so I know from experience......trust me.

Here's what you do:

Get yourself four jack stands. They are inexpensive and will save your arse alot of trouble, and from killing yourself.

Use the front jacking point. Since the car is sooooo stiff, it will pick up both wheels at the same time. Slide a jackstand under the frame rails for support. The frame rails are toward the middle of the car, compared to the jacking points which are on the perimeter. I'll try to find a diagram to eliminate confusion.

Anyway, jack stand under the front and rear on one side........lower onto stands.

Walk around to the other side and repeat. Now you can use the jack easily without trying to squeeze the jack and stand together on the same perimeter jacking point. Make sense, or confuse?
Old 06-16-2004, 01:05 PM

I just use to normal jack point and use the jackstand. Don't ever use scissor jack to raise your car for to long I seen them break before when my friend was working on his own car.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:15 PM

Consider buying one of these floor jacks from Harbor Freight, and don't bother with the scissor jack. $139.00 is not too expensive, and it's good quality. Fits under the car with no ramps required.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...itemnumber=3941

Oh and get some jack stands too, like Hockey suggested. Those are quite cheap.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:01 AM

I'm overwhelmed with how helpful you guys are. Thanx! I was expected to get scolded. Badly. I mean, come on... I don't even know how to jack up my car!

I'm just a little confused...

1. Jack up the front using the jack that came with the car.

2. Slide two jackstands under the frame rails for support on left side (one front, one rear).

3. Jake the right side, slide jackstands under and lower?

Thanks so much! Great diagram too! Now I know what a frame rail is... I learn something new every day!

Regards,

Dean
Old 06-17-2004, 10:32 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Your number 1 and 2 are fine. Make sure you use the front jacking point, and both the front and rear will come up.

Just lower down onto the stands after number 2, so you can use the jack on the other side.

Your good to go!!!

Your welcome. Sometimes you catch us in the right mood.
Hahahaha. After learning so much here, I almost feel obligated to share.

Hockey
Old 06-17-2004, 08:56 PM

I'm not that cool with using scissor jack but try not to shake the car if you use the scissor jack.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:23 AM

I actually put the car on stands last weekend and by following the directions in the photo, I found it was a little unstable. I think the front stands would be better situated further forwards, however, I'm not sure what is the ideal stand point is that is ahead of the orange highlighted rails.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BeachBum
I actually put the car on stands last weekend and by following the directions in the photo, I found it was a little unstable.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BeachBum
I actually put the car on stands last weekend and by following the directions in the photo, I found it was a little unstable.

Quick Reply: Jacking up the S