S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

July 4th mishap w/S2K

Old 07-05-2006, 12:40 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default July 4th mishap w/S2K

we decided to watch the fireworks at sea world this year and when it was over it took forever for people to leave the parking lot. we were stuck waiting for over a 1/2 hr with no movement until i saw cars moving from another area and that's where i made a mistake. instead of killing myself waiting until traffic moved i followed people that were on dirt roads for a short time to look for a short cut out. when we saw the short cut there was a sidewalk that i had to go down on. i angled the S slowly to lower the left front wheel but as soon as the tire found pavement i heard a LOUD bang and it was followed again when the right front got lowered. the rear area had no problem clearing the height and the car seemed fine after driving it. checked the steering, listened for weird noises and waited to inspect the under carriage until i got home.

when i got home i checked with a flashlight where it could've damaged the car and i spotted the jack rails in front slightly bent and misaligned from both sides. is there anything i should be worry about? the car drove as usual and i didn't hear or feel anything weird.
Old 07-05-2006, 02:42 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

You'll probably be OK
Old 07-05-2006, 05:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-05-2006, 05:25 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You took an S2000 offroad???? Remember..... this is no TRD Tocoma.....
Old 07-05-2006, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine goes off-road daily, down my 1/4 mile gravel driveway. Before I brought the S home I regraded it and added some more gravel in some spots. Max speed on the driveway is 3 mph. I live in the sticks on 30 acres, my other 3 cars are trucks, yeah, one of them is a Toyota rock crawler
Old 07-05-2006, 07:17 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDLiquidSilver,Jul 5 2006, 02:40 AM
i spotted the jack rails in front slightly bent and misaligned from both sides.
I doubt the actual jacking points have been bent out of shape. It can take the weight of the car. There are multiple layers of metal along the underside rail, sort of like laminations. I'm thinking that's what got bent and pulled apart. Get some large channel lock pliers and squeeze them back together and bend them back into position. Don't worry about it. In time, if you take you car to shops for maintenance and repair, they'll like jack it up incorrectly and bugger those up anyway.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:46 AM
AP2

wow you actually tried to watch fireworks from sea world...but anyway a buddy of mine jacked my car up wrong and bent my jacking points as well, i just got some pliers and bent them back and ever since the jack rails seem to be fine, havent experianced any problems yet..
Old 07-05-2006, 07:46 AM

I doubt the actual jacking points have been bent out of shape. It can take the weight of the car
This is true, I accidentally dropped my car about 10" from a hydraulic jack onto the oem jack. I tried to ease the hydraulic jack off but it just fell. There were no signs of damage.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:47 AM

Awtch, and that on a new MY06 Thank God you will keep it till the engine dies, so probably you will keep it forever, that is if you won't do other strange things to your baby!
Old 07-05-2006, 09:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

thanks for all the input guys! i looked at it again this morning and saw nothing bad near the suspension, wheels and chassis.

wow you actually tried to watch fireworks from sea world...
big mistake! i thought i was feeling lucky when i found the short cut cause we were honestly waiting 30+ minutes with no movement. the cd in the car had 11 songs which we popped in before i started the car and we were able to listen to all 11 waiting.

Quick Reply: July 4th mishap w/S2K