S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Known scam?

Old 04-06-2019, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Known scam?

I am in the process of selling my s2000 and I had someone who seemed really interested contact me. I sent him a carfax and a maintenance log, and all seemed well- but now he's insisting I buy him a vehicle history report from https://www.infocarfacts.com- a site which I have never heard of. He claims he needs this report for his loan company to OK the car, but I don't believe that. I told him I would not spend $25 on a no-name car report for a prospect that could change his mind at any time, and he seems really determined to get me to pay that $25...We are 12 emails into this and am pretty certain this is a scam or something- here are some of his messages- even after I gave him a solid NO. Please let me know your thoughts

```Perfect. Before heading to you to inspect your vehicle and to make sure it's exactly as you said I would like to take a look over a history report that can be found at https://www.infocarfacts.com . Don't get me wrong but I heard a few horror stories about vehicle sales and most important , my lender requires it otherwise I can't get the loan for your vehicle. Please let me know when you have it thanks.```

(I had told him to use the carfax instead)
```I believe you misunderstood.. I can't use a report from a different company. My lender require a report from the website mentioned in my previous email.

To be able to come , see , test and make a deal for it face to face , I need the report so I can pass it to my loan officer and make sure he will allow me to buy it .
I need the report because the loan company ask for it .please go to https://www.infocarfacts.com/ and get one . will not make sense for me to get one because I can`t re use it like you can , you will be able to give it to all you potential buyers , me on the other hand if will not be ok I will gave to look for a new vehicle and get a new report .
I know is only $24.99 but if I have to run 5 reports until I find an ok report where will I be ?
if the report will be ok you can consider it sold .

Thank You!
P.S if is about the money I will add the $25 to the final price```

(this is when I gave him a solid no)
```You have to understand me that without the report requested I can't come to see it in person, I have two reason:
1 - My mechanic will won't come with me without checking the report before, and if he doesn't come I don't know what to check, I know nothing about vehicles.
2 - To be able to buy your vehicle, I will need money for that, and to be able to get the money for it I have to print of the report and share with my lender.
I'm really interested and I'd like to move forward with this deal. Like I said in my previous email, I will refund you the money for the report if everything it's ok as you said and be sure I will buy it.
If you decide to provide the report, next day after I'll check with my mechanic or whenever you have time I can come at you or where you want to have a look before we move forward.
Hope you understand my side and you will get that report for me.
Thank you!```

Edit: confirmed scam https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/blog/20...y-report-scams
But what is there to gain? I'm guessing the guy emailing me works for the site and pockets a commission

Last edited by TylerS2k; 04-06-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Scam aside, If it is that important to the buyer then they can spend their own money on it. I would pass on a buyer like this.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-09-2019)
Old 04-06-2019, 08:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you google https://www.infocarfacts.com/ scams, you get tons of info about similar scams. Not sure this one is, but I'd avoid any buyer who pulls this crap. You're coming into summer season with a very desirable car.

I'd tell him, at most, that you'll knock $25 if he buys it.
Old 04-06-2019, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonMG
If you google https://www.infocarfacts.com/ scams, you get tons of info about similar scams. Not sure this one is, but I'd avoid any buyer who pulls this crap. You're coming into summer season with a very desirable car.

I'd tell him, at most, that you'll knock $25 if he buys it.
Thanks, I just looked it up and I found this trustpilot

Be careful of scam on Craigslist about this site.. Someone sends you an email saying he wants to buy your car but you have to get the car information from infocarfacts . Don't fall for that.. it is a scam.. Another version is send me your email address to pass it on to my dad who wants to buy your car. and then supposedly the dad sends you an email and asking you to get the car report from this site.

I appreciate the input
Old 04-06-2019, 08:09 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

He can look it up himself if he wants to.
Levi
Old 04-07-2019, 07:56 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

The wording of his messages betrays the scam. Its all generic. The vehicle. My mechanic. Etc.

Anyone buying a car as special as the S would not be calling it 'the vehicle'.

Its all generic so they can use the same message text and just copy and paste.
Old 04-07-2019, 10:18 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Not even a good scammer in my opinion. Potentially, someone who could actually write a natural-sounding sentence would do well in that sketchy world...
Old 04-07-2019, 10:33 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

The email reads like a generic response scam. It's pretty obvious actually...
Old 04-07-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I had the same type of responses when I sold my last car. Not only do they want you to spend 25 bucks, but some will use your credit card info for other charges and never give you a report at all, just plain crooks. Luckily I didn't fall for their BS.
As someone suggested, tell them you'll give them a $25 discount when they buy the car. Jerks.
Old 04-07-2019, 01:14 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken1997tl
Potentially, someone who could actually write a natural-sounding sentence would do well in that sketchy world...
Man, that's a rather sobering thought.

Quick Reply: Known scam?