S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Koni advice!

Old 07-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni advice!

Hello all,
I have been thinking about lowering my car for a while now, but due to it being my DD and going over large bumps all the time, I can't go too low. I heard from a few people that I could use the Koni yellows and use the lower perch to get a 1/2 inch drop. And since my car is 76000 miles old, it may be time for new shocks!

My question is, what are your feelings on the Koni's? Did they feel better or worse than stock. Or was it comparable? How far did it drop your car? What settings do you run with them. Do you like them for the track or street?

Give me some input please. Also what should I expect to pay?
Old 07-25-2007, 01:54 PM

No one here runs the Koni Yellows?

Old 07-25-2007, 01:57 PM

I put in koni's on the lower perch with stock springs. I like them. I run 1/2 firm in the front and 3/4 in the back, from a suggestion from someone on the board. When I tracked the car at thunderhill, I ran 3/4 front and full backs. I liked it on the track, stayed planted, but it was my first time on the track so I don't think I was going too fast. Oh, I was running the UK alignment too though.

At street trim (1/2 firm and 3/4 firm), it's comparable to stock, but feels a bit more solid. Not as rocky. There are bumps that still sound bad though, but those are the big major ones.

Here are some pics.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kaho_l...el%3as,8%3af,0

Do a search too, lot of info out there.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by littlerocket777,Jul 25 2007, 01:57 PM
I put in koni's on the lower perch with stock springs. I like them. I run 1/2 firm in the front and 3/4 in the back, from a suggestion from someone on the board. When I tracked the car at thunderhill, I ran 3/4 front and full backs. I liked it on the track, stayed planted, but it was my first time on the track so I don't think I was going too fast. Oh, I was running the UK alignment too though.

At street trim (1/2 firm and 3/4 firm), it's comparable to stock, but feels a bit more solid. Not as rocky. There are bumps that still sound bad though, but those are the big major ones.

Here are some pics.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kaho_l...el%3as,8%3af,0

Do a search too, lot of info out there.
Thank you for the help. I did do a search and I get a 50/50 mix of people saying they are a good stock upgrade, then there are the others that say they suck. Some run them harder in the front and some say the rear

So I just figured I could get some input from guys who run these on daily drivers.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:20 PM

Im running, full firm all around with espilar springs. I might change the front to about 1/2 front and full firm rear. There on the first perch untill i change my wheel set-up then will go with to the 2nd perch and it will be SLAMMED! As for ride stiffer than stock, but 50/50 review from me.

17x8.5 +45 225/40F & 17x8.5 +45 245/40R

BTW: My sig shows 1st perch, with 2nd perch the tire is tucked about 1/2.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:12 AM

Thank you for all the replies, Does anyone else have input on the Koni's? Just trying to get as much info as I can! Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:03 PM

I have the same setup you're talking about.
Konis w/ stock springs.
It lowers like 0.5", and gets rid of that lifted truck look.
I had it set to 1/2 firm and honestly, I think it's slightly softer than stock.
I daily drive my S, and it absorbs the imperfection of the road nicely.
I don't track my car, so can't comment on that.
you can get the whole set for $600 or less online.
I bought mine from tirerack, but people recommend shox.com
Good luck!

Dan
Old 07-30-2007, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by nearwater4me,Jul 27 2007, 12:03 PM
I have the same setup you're talking about.
Konis w/ stock springs.
It lowers like 0.5", and gets rid of that lifted truck look.
I had it set to 1/2 firm and honestly, I think it's slightly softer than stock.
I daily drive my S, and it absorbs the imperfection of the road nicely.
I don't track my car, so can't comment on that.
you can get the whole set for $600 or less online.
I bought mine from tirerack, but people recommend shox.com
Good luck!

Dan
Thanks Dan, Solid advice and that is what I was looking for. I too daily drive the S and this sounds like the way to go for me. Thanks again
Old 07-30-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Koni's in the past and I just ordered another set from LTB motorsports for 575 shipped.

I ran them on the stock height since I was auto-xing on them in stock class. The shocks have less compression dampening than stock which is good since it reduces the unsettling over bumps. The rebound however can be adjusted to be much firmer than stock which is good for quickening weight transfer.

Basically, I'm in the same boat. My car has 92,000 miles and I'm feeling a bit of float over highspeed bumps and such which is making me nervous.

You will scrape your front more often since the compression dampening is softer so be prepaired for that. I plan to run on the lower setting this time since I'm no longer auto-xing the car. Just be sure to get an alignment after you lower the car since your toe will be affected. You will probably even get some toe out in the rear which can be a bad thing if you're not needing it to get the car to turn.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd get a set of springs instead of shocks. Springs would hold the drop better and if you get something like the Tein S.Tech, you gain about 1" all around with appropriate increase in stiffness.

Also, Koni's should be no more than $120 each.

Quick Reply: Koni advice!