S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Leaky roof in downpour

Old 10-06-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky roof in downpour

I thought I had no problems with my roof. It's been in rain and nothing got in (other than a drip on the seal from opening and closing the door)...

However I've noticed today, with heavy rain and wind driving at the side of the car, on the passenger side it was more than just a trickle. there was a drip near the back (1) but a small run, Maybe 4-5 teaspoons of water had got in at point (2) I know this is where the seams join, and the roof is only 3-4 months old (newly fitted when I bought it).

Any ideas/help of what to look for?

thanks.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:03 AM

I have been having the same issue on my drivers side but only in the front location you circled. Never happened once before and now its been happening frequently.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:16 PM

You can always regrease the seals with Shin-Etsu, should help expand the seals.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:28 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Instead of Shin-Etsu the identical silicone dielectric grease is available for much, much, much less at most auto part stores, made by 3M. A little goes a long way.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:54 AM

do you have the name Cosmomiller? or just 3m silicone grease?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Grease the seals, then try adjusting them. I had a leak in the front bit of the passenger side, so i undid the screw at the front of the seal, and pushed it forward a little bit. It doesn't leak anymore.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by BlakeKleinCalabrese
You can always regrease the seals with Shin-Etsu, should help expand the seals.

Exactly what I did last night
Old 10-07-2014, 11:22 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by bikky
do you have the name Cosmomiller? or just 3m silicone grease?
It is an 8oz bottle with built in brush, black label with "Car Care" on top, 3M with Silicone Grease in the middle and Dielectric in a label below. <$10. Got it at a Napa. Here is the data on it and another description from a post I did below it:

Silicone Paste
Technical Data Sheet October, 2011
3M Part No.(s)

3M Part Descriptor(s)

3MTM Silicone Paste
Product Description
Features, Advantages, Benefits
Typical Physical Properties
3MTM Silicone Paste is a non-hardening, water resistant, silicone based compound designed to lubricate, protect surfaces from oxidation and serve as a dielectric compound. It is a high viscosity paste that will remain in place for a long period of time. It can be applied heavily to help seal out contaminates and environmental elements that lead to oxidation and corrosion or it can be spread thin to leave behind a virtually unnoticeable film. A brush is permanently attached to the top to make applying it more convenient.
Features
• Lubricates, Protects From Oxidation, Dielectric Properties
• Water Resistant
• Screw-Top Bottle with Built-In Brush
Advantages
• Mutilple Purposes
• Seals Out Moisture • Convenient Package
Benefits
• Saves Money
• Keeps Out Oxidation
• Seals Out Contaminants, Brush is Always Available
Note: The following technical information and data should be considered representative or typical only and should not be used for specification purposes.
Container
10 Oz. Plastic bottle with screw top and built-in brush
Packaged 6 bottles to a case
Net Weight
8 Oz. (226 grams)
Chemistry
See package label or MSDS
Specific Physical Form
Paste
Color
Translucent white
Odor
Mild
Base
Silicone Paste
Flash Point
570°F [Test Method: Tagliabue Closed Cup]
Specific Gravity
1.03 [Ref. Std: WATER=1]
Solubility in Water
Nil
Volatile Organic Compounds
0 g/l [Test Method: calculated SCAQMD rule 443.1]
Service Temperature - °F
-40°F to +400°F
3MTM Silicone Paste 08946
Product Uses
Typical Performance Properties
For use in numerous vehicle and non-vehicle applications. Use as a lubricant for plastic-to-plastic, plastic-to-metal, plastic-to-rubber, rubber-to-rubber, and rubber-to- metal assemblies. Will not cause swelling or deterioration of elastomers. Use to seal out contaminates, moisture, or elements that lead to oxidation and corrosion. Use as a dielectric paste on low voltage electrical parts where arching and oxidation may occur and as a heat transfer membrane between heat-sinks.
Note: The following technical information and data should be considered representative or typical only and should not be used for specification purposes.

TESTS
ASTM TEST METHOD

RESULTS
N.L.G.I. Grade
----------
Penetration Worked
ASTM D-217
220 - 250
Flash Point, EF
ASTM D-92
Dropping Point, EF
ASTM D-566
None
Pour Point, EF
ASTM D-67
Water Washout, %
ASTM D-1264
Dielectric Strength, @ 25EC, volts/mil
----------
Specific Gravity, @ 25EC
----------

Here is more from a previous post:

Rubber Seals on top/Shin Etsu/Plumbers Grease/ Keeping the squeaks and creaks away as well as the water out.

My S is still pretty new, as 09s go, and I want to keep it that way with preventative maintenance. As far as the rubber seals go for the top, I have read quite a bit in discussions and on line about Shin Etsu grease available from Honda. (Its repackaged by Honda-not made by them) Honda recommends its application to rubber seals to maintain their function and appearance. The problem? My dealer wants $70 for a substantial size tube. Ouch! I can see other sizes are available online and from the manufacturer at lower prices.
(BTW I am an military/airline guy and have no financial interest in this stuff)

Now I have found and use Gunk brand 'Plumbers Grease' for household applications: my pool equipment, water softener, plumbing, and other uses. Great stuff. Comes in a small white plastic tub. $3. Why not this instead of Shin Etsu? Time for some research.
Although the precise chemical breakdown is not listed on either containers, you can find out alot from the websites and uses for the products. I will spare you on endless details but let me throw in this definition of 'silicone grease':

Edit: I would like to add 3M products "Car Care Silicone Paste (Dielectric grease)" to this discussion. High quality, comes in big bottle with built in brush and can be found at many auto parts stores. Inexpensive.

Silicone grease is a waterproof grease made by combining a silicone oil with a thickener. Most commonly, the silicone oil is polydimethylsiloxane and the thickener is amorphous fumed silica. Using this formulation, silicone grease is a translucent white viscous paste, with exact properties dependent on the type and proportion of the components.

Silicone grease is commonly used for lubricating and preserving rubber parts, such as O-rings. Additionally, silicone grease does not swell or soften the rubber, which can be a problem with hydrocarbon based greases. It functions well as a corrosion-inhibitor and lubricant for purposes that require a thicker lubricant, such as the operating mechanism of the M1 Garand rifle or S2000 soft top.
The most common use of it is an elastic heat transfer coupling material between semiconductor circuit elements and attached cooling metal parts. This way thermal resistance of touching surfaces is typically lowered by 50 percent. The high thermal stability is the key property that allows these greases to operate on hot, cold and wet surfaces of peltier elements.

Silicone grease is also used widely by the plumbing industry in faucets and seals, as well as dental equipment. Electrical utilities use silicone grease to lube separable elbows on lines which must endure high temperatures. Silicone greases generally have a temperature range of -40 to 400 °C.

Silicone grease is widely used as a temporary sealant and a lubricant for interconnecting ground glass joints, as is typically used in the chemical laboratory. Although silicones are normally assumed to be chemically inert, several historically significant compounds have been prepared by unintended reactions. For example, the first salt of the crown ether (OSi(CH 3 ) 2 ) n (n = 6, 7) were prepared by reactions resulting from contacting organolithium and organopotassium compounds with silicone greases.

Silicone-based lubricants are often used by consumers in applications where other common consumer lubricants, such as Vaseline, would damage certain products, such as latex rubber condoms, rubber/plastic on really cool cars like the S2000, and gaskets on drysuits.

The salient points are the presence of the silicone ingredient and NOT petroleum additives which attack rubber. (Thats why Vaseline and condoms do not go together well)
The 3M silicone paste as well as plumbers grease matches those qualities of Shin Etsu: Has temp range of -40 to 400 degrees F, Does not melt. Waterproof protective coating that prevents rust and corrosion. Rubber and synthetic, plastic, metal and ceramic materials. Certified ANSI/NSF 61. Made in USA.
Contains Polydimethylsiloxane/63148629, Dimethyl Siloxane, Hydroxyterminated/70131678, Silica, Amorphous Fumed/7631869.

Pretty much the same industrial ingredients for this class of product including Shin Etsu.

Bottom line: it seems to me the plumbers grease is really pretty much the same quality and composition at a much cheaper price.

This brings me to the final point: UV protection. Non of these greases offer UV protection. (like to have the top down?)

Some auto detailing suppliers offer products that incorporate UV protection. I will pick on one: Meguiars. (I know I could have said 303) They say they use only the silicone chemical makeup (read more $) that is not harmful to plastic (on the products that has silicone in it) unlike other companies using cheaper but harmful silicone compositions (Armorall) Meguiars makes a ultimate protectant designed for rubber with UV protection.

Where am I going? Why not use the Meguiars ultimate protectant for an initial application and follow up with the grease? That way you get the UV protection and then the benefit of the grease on top of that? I would think your rubber seals would stay in primo condition if you did that several times a year. Anyone?
Old 10-07-2014, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by jimboslice
Grease the seals, then try adjusting them. I had a leak in the front bit of the passenger side, so i undid the screw at the front of the seal, and pushed it forward a little bit. It doesn't leak anymore.

Hmm, Screw at front of seal.... any pic of it? I'll have to try to remember to look for it.

Thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM

Wow that's done post. Thanks for that info. Don't know why it appears so long after of posted back.... Hey that's mobile technology.

Quick Reply: Leaky roof in downpour