S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Leaky Roof in my '02 !

Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaky Roof in my '02 !

I've had my 02 s2k for about 2 months now, and am just realizing that it might have a problem in the rain. Now if I am driving my car in the rain, I am totally fine. However if I let it sit, in a parkinglot, being rained on for an hour or two, when i come back to it, there is water built up somewhere in the rubber on the drivers side over the window. It seems to be coming out of that joint that bends when you put the top down (basically, imagine yourself in the drivers seat and the joint is about 12 inches to the left of the dirvers head). Im not sure where the water is actually getting IN at, but, I was hoping somebody had a suggestion or two for how to get rid of this frustrating problem.

Any ideas???
Old 10-26-2005, 07:43 AM

Does it look like the water might be getting in through where the top of the window meets the soft top's rubber seals? I'm having trouble imagining what you're describing, so forgive me if I'm way off.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:44 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Might want to treat the seals with some shinetsu grease.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:47 AM

Yes you are correct. I think that the water is coming in up front/left, where the top meets the windshield and the drivers side window. But i'm not positive. There is no obvious physical deformity anywhere. Maybe there is some sort of water repellent treatment for the rubber?
Old 10-26-2005, 07:49 AM

If that's where the water looks like it's getting in, then Cyclon is right, try Shin-Etsu grease first. Apply it along the rubber seals and then wipe off the excess. It might leave a minor mess along the top edge of the window, but it should help.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Maybe there is some sort of water repellent treatment for the rubber?
I take it from this statement, that you have never treated the rubber seals on the car. They should be treated once or twice each year to keep them in good condition. Go to a Honda dealer and ask for the treatment for window seals. It'll pricey for what you get, but it lasts a long time. Or, if a GM dealer is handier, get some GM Silicone Emulsion. In a pinch, you can spray all the seals with Silicone spray and wipe off the excess. This won't last long but can be done frequently.

ps. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you haven't been treating the window rubber, I guess you haven't been treating the CV rubber or the steering rod rubber, either? The window rubber is merely an inconvenience for now. Those other rubbers will cost you big money later.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:04 AM

but if you haven't been treating the window rubber, I guess you haven't been treating the CV rubber or the steering rod rubber, either?
Well, you're right. Like I said though. I have only had the car 2 months. Is there any other preventative maintenence I should take care of right away?

EDIT: is the Honda service better than just using the Shin-Etsu grease myself?
Old 10-26-2005, 08:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

See what happens when you don't take care of your rubbers? They leak and leave you with bigger problems
Old 10-26-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mannix16,Oct 26 2005, 10:04 AM
Well, you're right. Like I said though. I have only had the car 2 months. Is there any other preventative maintenence I should take care of right away?

EDIT: is the Honda service better than just using the Shin-Etsu grease myself?
Ahh, didn't know this. The previous owner may have been lax about the rubbers.
If this car is new to you, I would suggest you scan the maintenance schedule for your car and make a list of all things that need to be done up to and including your car's current age and mileage. Most of these will be inspections that aren't hard to do. Without prior knowledge of what was done, it would be good insurance to change the diff fluid for sure. Next up would be the engine oil if you don't know when it was done last. With an '02, a tranny fluid change would not be a bad idea, either. Sooner or later, you should also do the clutch fluid and brake fluid.

If you go to Under the Hood, then to "Technical" and look at the stickied threads at the top entitled "FAQs" and "Oil Journals", you will see all kinds of links to threads on maintenance and what kinds of fluids to use and what kinds to AVOID. One of those threads will deal with the "other" rubbers I spoke of.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:48 PM

Ok,
I got home and did some testing with a bottle of water. Its not the rubber!! well, at least its not the condition of the rubber. There is a small opening for water to get in the elbow joint next to the drivers head, where the two rubber parts meet. It is a VERY small opening, and i'm sure i can fix it myself with some sort of sealant, or even glue. My question is, does anyone know of a sealant that would be acceptable to use on the rubber?

Quick Reply: Leaky Roof in my '02 !