S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Learning to drive . . .

Old 07-07-2005, 08:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Learning to drive . . .

I've been driving for 10 years, but only on automatic. My wife and I recently purchased an s2k and love it! It's going to be her daily driver (she's been driving manual for 10+ years).

She's taught me the basics, but does anyone have any tips for long time drivers, first time manuals?
Old 07-07-2005, 08:33 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is the PROPER WAY to learn a manual car....

1) Go into a FLAT (no hills) parkinglot or some kind of open space...
2)Put the car into N and take a deep breath.
3)Push the clutch in, and slide the sniper rifle shifter into 1st gear.
4)WITHOUT USING THE GAS PEDAL....ever so slowly begin to release the clutch... you will feel the car crawling. Slowly take your foot off the pedal, until it is completely off. This is the most important aspect of learning a manual car. This will give you a feel for the clutch, and you will be able to perform more accurate shifts, since you know where the clutch begins to grab.

5)After you got the top steps DOWN COLD, after step 4, give it some gas and get about 12mph.....push clutch in, slide into 2nd gear, and let clutch out (dont pop it, just slowly---faster than in the first 4 steps)...if you feel the car jump, you did it too fast. IF you hear your car rev and its not going anywhere, you did it too slow.

After you master these steps, you will be able to drive the car no problems. Pulling a 9000rpm shift however, is just practice, so wait until you are confident, and slowly build up your skills, 5000rpm, 6000rpm, etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by ruiner,Jul 7 2005, 08:23 PM
I've been driving for 10 years, but only on automatic. My wife and I recently purchased an s2k and love it! It's going to be her daily driver (she's been driving manual for 10+ years).

She's taught me the basics, but does anyone have any tips for long time drivers, first time manuals?
Learn on a P.O.S car before you get into the S. This car is pretty powerful and can be intimidating if you have never driven a manual. I learned on a Toyota Tercel. No intimidation factor there.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:57 PM

Thats good advice, I learned how to drive a clutch in a parking lot. Just don't get frustrated, its takes a little while to be confident with driving a clutch in traffic.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2005, 09:20 PM

Here's a tip I havn't heard yet,

Try driving when it's idling at around 2k rpms.

It's really easy since it's harder to stall, it should allow you to get a hang of the clutch.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vAnt,Jul 8 2005, 12:20 AM
Here's a tip I havn't heard yet,

Try driving when it's idling at around 2k rpms.

It's really easy since it's harder to stall, it should allow you to get a hang of the clutch.
That leaves him about 3 minutes, assuming he didnt drive to the parking lot and the car is totally cold.

BlueS2....I agree with what you are saying, but on cars like corvettes and such....cars that have very high low end torque. The s2000 is completely torqueless that low, so its very easy to learn. The only thing that is a bit tough to learn on the s2000 would be 2 things...light flywheel, making your actions quicker to be correct, and a stiff clutch.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:23 PM

I suugest even before turning on the engine push in/slowly let out the clutch pedal about 100 times to learn exactly where it starts to grip. You should be able to feel it.

I say 100 times due to "muscle memory" effect.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:30 PM

I got my s2k in February 2005 and I learned how to drive manual with this care. IMO, this is a great car to learn to drive manual. These forums has been a great resource for me to learn more about my car. I read a lot of good advice about driving the car. My advice would be lots of practice and avoid the hills or inclines until you get used to driving. I am having a great time with my car and I am continuing to get more experience with it.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 PM

i agree with the car being easy to learn stick on. the clutch is very soft and it is really easy to find the clutch grab point. u just need patience. i would agree with that guy who said to learn the clutch and only the clutch without the gas. learn to get it moving without gas and you should be all downhill from that
Old 07-07-2005, 11:24 PM

You guys are right this clutch is easy. I would hate to hear if he messes it up because he has never driven a stick before. Honestly the hardest part is getting out of first gear because it is so touchy. You could stall at any sec or give it too much gas and sprint forward faster than you may think. Definitely do an empty lot first for a few days just to get the feel.

Quick Reply: Learning to drive . . .