S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lesson learned: ALMOST got a ticket for doing 130

Old 03-09-2003, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lesson learned: ALMOST got a ticket for doing 130

Driving up highway 5 yesterday from the Central Valley, I found the entire freeway in both directions empty for miles. I get up to 130 mph, flying by old farming shacks and billboards. About 1 minute into my acceleration, I noticed in my rear view a small speck about 1-2 miles behind me, and this speck was flying as well. I decided to err on the cautious side in case it was a CHP and noticed an off ramp 2 miles ahead in which I was going to slow down, turn off and get a bite to eat.
Jeezuz, it WAS a CHP and by the time I reached the off-ramp, he pulled up beside me and was motioning with his arms to "get off the freeway!" He stayed on the freeway. He was really upset. So I duly pulled off and parked my S in a parking area for 10 minutes, figuring he was going to turn around at the next exit, come back and ream me a new one. Not to mention a humongous ticket. He never came back! I felt relieved, because I was freakin
Old 03-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very very very very lucky my friend! I can't imagine the conversation with CHP.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:10 PM

Yea, I thought long and hard about what had happened. Even though there was no one around for miles, (except for a CHP hanging behind a shack) it was relatively safe to drive that fast. I never speed amongst fellow drivers in traffic. The incident freaked me out, because I can't imagine the cost in terms losing my license for several months, the cost of lawyers and court fees, etc, and the cost of not enjoying my S for that long. Or even worse, having an accident. So needless to say, I'm sticking close to the limit for now.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same thing Vince. Exact same story except I was going 130 and i saw a speck ahead and slowed down in time to pass him going 80. He must have not seen me. Before that I had gotten to my 145 personal top down record. I drive pretty slow since I got a ticket later for a slower speed (I was going 95 in a 65, but the cop wrote me for 80). Anyway I now get my thrills on curves, but rarely get above 85 mph (except to pass). Like you it's not worth it to me to face the costs of getting caught.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:17 PM

I know those times are tempting when there is no one else out there. However, I, not only worry about police, but I'm more afraid of deer crossing. An S hitting a deer at 130 MPH would not be a pretty picture.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:19 PM

Has anyone received a ticket going over 100 mph, and what is the cost of all of this? I can't imagine it being worth the price of getting caught...
Old 03-09-2003, 01:21 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't gotten caught, but I saw on the news that they raised it and it's something like 800-1000 dollars just in fine between 100 and 130.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:37 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by VinceD
[B]So I duly pulled off and parked my S in a parking area for 10 minutes, figuring he was going to turn around at the next exit, come back and ream me a new one. Not to mention a humongous ticket. He never came back! I felt relieved, because I was freakin
Old 03-09-2003, 01:38 PM

In California, CHPs are everywhere, when you think no ones around....THEY are around.

I would be $hiting it too...
Old 03-09-2003, 01:53 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Maybe he didn't even know you were speeding and waved you off the freeway because there was a hot pursuit coming up behind both of you. I don't really believe that but why would he wave you off the freeway and just leave, as though you wouldn't get back on and go on your merry way in a few minutes?

Quick Reply: Lesson learned: ALMOST got a ticket for doing 130