S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

A Long Cold Winters End

Old 03-16-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you lucky enough to have lived outside of the snow belt all of your lives it may be hard to understand what the first really nice Spring-like day means after the winter we in the North East have suffered through this year.

Today was that day.

It is a frustration that you do your best to suppress. If I had a garage I could go out to it on a cold winters day and do some detailing or some such small task to keep me connected but alas my S2000 has been under a car cover for the last 3 months. Yes every once in awhile I start her up but I don't dare take it out on the salted and sanded streets. So with that in mind you can imagine my elation when today turned out to be the nicest day the North East has seen in months.

After checking the oil and bringing the tire pressures back up to 32 psi, I started it up and dropped the top. I plugged in my new i-Pod I got for Christmas into the adaptor for the factory radio that I had installed one mild winters day. Last night I had programmed a nice driving mix and it is great not having to switch CDs all the time. I wiped down the car with a damp cotton Lemon Pledge towel (best detailing trick ever) while the S2000 warmed back to life.

Fully warmed up I ran through the gears a bit on the way to pick up my Fiance'. Got it sideways a bit around a corner just for fun, both the car and I kicking up our heels to celebrate the coming of Spring. After I picked up Lori we cruised down to the Ocean Parkway which is located on the barrier beach that runs parallel to the South Shore of Long Island (NY) a few miles off the mainland. We headed East from Jones Beach and cruised with the magnificent Atlantic Ocean to our right and the Scenic Great South Bay to our left.

Man EVERYBODY who owned a car or bike that was stored for the Winter was out today. We passed them cruising the beach road and met many of them when we stopped at the old Oak Beach Inn (The OBI). This is a favorite informal gathering spot for both bikes and cars. I checked out some nice cars and bikes and some folks checked out my S2000 including a fellow out on his Honda RC-51 who also happens to own a Black s2000. I told him to check out this forum. After a pleasant half hour we got back in and motored across the Robert Moses Bridge to Fire Island. There we saw a couple of Deer, a lot of Geese and lots of neat cars and bikes all enjoying the day like we were. We turned around by the Light House which is now fully restored and operational thanks to many volunteers and public donations.

Heading North back onto the mainland we motored up to Sunken Meadow which is a State Park located on the Long Island Sound which is the Body of water on the North Shore of the Island. Long Island is Long (East to West) but not very wide (North to South). After a nice lunch at the "Dock" restaurant overlooking this magnificent view of the Sound we walked along the beach a bit and checked out some of the sweet cars and bikes that showed up at that location. We meandered our way back West checking out interesting side roads on the North Shore until we arrived home where I wiped the S2000 down and put her under the covers for a well deserved rest.

Maybe it is the joy of such a perfect day of motoring after the long dreary Winter but today illustrated to me in Technicolor the pure bliss of driving a highly responsive roadster with the Woman you love beside you on an absolutely perfect day. I think it is like seeing the changes in someone you haven't seen for years as opposed to those who see that person everyday not noticing those changes. Maybe driving an S2000 everyday jades some of us and we forget just what a wonderful machine it is.

Well I am here to tell you that a long dreary Winter and one perfect Spring-like day can sure remind us.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:58 PM

Nice post Bieg. This day was long overdue for us as well. It was SO nice out today ...but I had to work!
Old 03-16-2003, 04:16 PM

Hey Bieg I was out there with you but I took my tour all the way out to Sand City at the end of Eatons neck in Northport. I still only have 240 miles on it so I need to put them on so I can keep up with the Porsches and vettes and all the others. Are you near Deer Park? I saw a Silverstone S with Superleggas the other day and posted on 2Ska local to see if it was anyone who was on the forums? no one answered so I thought not. Do you go down to OBI on Sunday? The vettes hang there early(around 10:00 to 11:00) But I love cars and go down to look at all. Was it not great to have the top down finally!!! Yeah !! Maybe we can hook up at OBI if you are going on Sunday sometime??
Old 03-16-2003, 04:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Neb is absolutely filthy with salt spray and other road crap. I promised myself I wouldn't do this to my little S, but I seriously needed a drive.

I got a little "tense"around some of the potholes that I couldn't avoid, but man I can relate to this post, Bieg. May winter's back be permanently broken!

Great day.
Old 03-16-2003, 04:21 PM

Nice post.

Hopefully winter is over and it will get better from here on out!

Cheers
Old 03-16-2003, 05:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by legendzzz
[B]Hey Bieg I was out there with you but I took my tour all the way out to Sand City at the end of Eatons neck in Northport. I still only have 240 miles on it so I need to put them on so I can keep up with the Porsches and vettes and all the others. Are you near Deer Park?
Old 03-16-2003, 05:55 PM

Yeah... the weather gods teased us here by giving us a couple of 75 degree days last week. And now it's in the 40's again.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:16 PM

Oh man, did that winter ever suck. I don't remember ever seeing so much snow in one season. Just rediculous.

Oh well, here's to a great driving season ahead of us all!
Old 03-16-2003, 06:21 PM

Beig man, I was right behind you. I could not believe how nice it was on the Island today. I took the car out and ran by the beach as well. But I had to cut it short for a family gig. Its a little cold out now, but what a fantastic day for a ride. Everybody and their mother was on the roads... which is both good and bad. Anyway, death to winter! Long live spring!
Old 03-16-2003, 06:36 PM

I've been sweating my butt off all winter and even had to turn the a/c on with the top down. Hey, the south ain't all that it's cracked up to be. We suffer down here too!

Quick Reply: A Long Cold Winters End