S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Looking to Reduce Oversteer

Old 08-08-2006, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Reduce Oversteer

Im tracking my stock s2000, I am noticing that every so often, the rear end things its really the front end. I am looking for some advice to properly adjusting this oversteering problem, not to mask it.

Which would be masking it and which would be correcting it?
1) Larger width tire in the rear keeping front the same
2) Increase in front sway bar stiffness
3) X-bracing (where in the car, f or r )
4) strut bars (where in the car f or r)
5) Suspension Dampening (square all around, soft up front & stif rear or vice versa)
6) or just going wiht the bump steer kit

Looking to make the car more neutral than having it understeer
Old 08-08-2006, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There could be a thousand answers to your questions. You really need to be more specific. When does the oversteer occur? At corner entry? Mid - corner or corner exit? Was it power -on oversteer? Lift-throttle oversteer? What tires are you running? What are your tire pressures? What were the track conditions?

It could be a million different answers. If you notice that in general the S2000 oversteers, then you may just not be accustomed to RWD driving. How much experience do you have on the track? I'd suggest you find a good driver and have him drive your car, and watch how he drives it. The oversteer you see may just be poor driving technique.

If its not driver, and you actually know what you're doing, you can cross out 3 and 4 from your list. They will do absolutely nothing to the driving dynamics of the car. Increasing the FSB will give you more steady-state understeer. Larger tire stagger or more tire in the rear in relation to the front will give you more understeer in all areas of the corner in general.

Suspension dampening can do a bunch of things, if you don't know what you're doing you can be worse off than stock.

The BSK (bump steer kit) will help in general to keep the rear settled (especially on bumpy roads) , and will give you the ability to run more camber with less toe-in (which will save wear on your tires). I recommend it, but only once you've clearly identified what the cause of your problem is.

Sri
Old 08-08-2006, 06:40 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Upgrade to MY04 parts in the rear suspension.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:37 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

I agree with "Pantyraider"but generally speaking,but generally,more rear tires,(or stickier),softer rear suspesion(a la MY-04),and increased FSB,will give you more understeer.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Masking or correcting the problem???

Just something about that statement that I don't like...its ok though, call it whatever, just I wouldn't call it a problem, more of a normal behavior of a Rwd car and I don't know if it needs any correction. But we all drive differently so I'll chime in here.

I don't know what masking it means. I'm guessing you mean to be able to hide it as if oversteer is covered up and doesn't happen from your type of driving, but when searching for it, it still exists? I could be wrong, but that's what I gather. A quick rememdy is tires...increase the grip in your rear vs your fronts, this can be accomplished by not replacing all four tires next time you need tires and just do the rears with new tires, provided that your fronts still have enough life left. I replaced my rears this way many times as I wear out my rears first, and normally go through two cycles on the front before I replace them, and when it is set up this way, I think you will get some of your desired result. Aside from tires, I think you can balance the suspension where the fronts are stiffer than the rear, this way the front won't grip more than the rear and keeping you planted and not oversteering.
Old 08-08-2006, 08:09 AM

cheapest... and first thing you can experiment with is your tire pressures. Try to increase the front and decrease the back by a lb to see if you it makes a difference.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:25 AM

The 00-01 tend to oversteer the easiest but it the most lively to drive. Just remember to keep it in check and not to let it step out to far. That how I drove it for a year before I started to modify it. Now it just worse but is more predictable
Old 08-08-2006, 10:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

would an x-brace help since it reduces chasis flex?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:29 AM

ok just to clarify some information.. Yes i am not used to RWD driving, however I am increasing my knowledge of it. I have been adjusted to FWD track driving with 3-4 years experience with it. I would not call my self an amzazing driver, but rather a good one, and typically in the events I would enter with my FWD car (i.e. Solo 1), I would place a consistant 3rd. I have been driving RWD within that time frame, but seldomly and not enough to push the car hard enough to learn its manovering characteristics. I have had my s2000 since last July and I am getting more and more used to the oversteer at the exit of a corner to just after mid corner (obviously If I am feeding too much power to the ground). I am definatly not used to "drifting" a RWD car and much prefer (at this point in time while taking my car to the track) a more neutral handeling ride (I seem to start "slower" to learn the car but all too quickly do I see my speeds increase). So hopefully this better explains my scenario.

As for Tires, I am running
Hankook Z121
Front 205/55/16 (im not too sure on pressure .. bad memory.. but 35)
Rear 245/50/16 (I think 33.. i usually leave a 2-3psi difference in front to rear)

1/4" toe in in the rear
-2.5 camber rear

Suspension.. stock.. with an X-brace for front and rear as well cusco subframe bars sitting at home waiting to be put on piece by piece and properly tested when I have some available track time.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:30 AM

Now you guys say convert the rear suspension to 04, what will this do? and what exactly am I changing and why? or should I just go with the bump steer kit?

FYI, the reason I say Masking or properly correcting it, is I was told by quite a few race car drivers that there are 2 ways to fix a problem, by Masking it (i.e. fixing something of the car to do the opposite... if the car understeers, just throw on a rear sway bar to make it oversteer instead).. or to properly fix it (i.e. figuring out why exactly is it understeering and fixing that particular problem at the source)

Quick Reply: Looking to Reduce Oversteer