S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Manual driving experience

Old 11-01-2005, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual driving experience

The more I read the posts on this wonderful forum, and the more I read about this car, the less and less I feel that I can learn how to drive a stick on an s2k. I have friends that have manual transmission cars, such as Integras, and those were their first cars, and learned how to drive stick with those cars. Before doing all of the reading I have done on this car through these forums, I figured I could do the same if/when I was to purchase one, since the car I have now, and the car I had before it were both automatic.

But, with all of this talk of over-revs and the talk of the car being more for the experienced driver, I realize I need some more experience driving a manual before taking the plunge

Here is my dilemma. No one in my family drives a manual, and the friends that have sticks either live too far away for me to practice very often on them, or dont want me to drive their car because of lack of experience haha...Nice catch-22, huh?

So, should I rent a car maybe for 4-5 days that's manual and just drive it tons those days to better learn? Also, some of you speak of schools that will not only help me get used to driving stick, but also help me in handling a rwd car (which I've also never had). Anyone know of a website they could point me to so I could find a school like that near me? How much do they cost on average?

btw, I live in Lexington, Kentucky

Thanks for all the help!

Adam
Old 11-01-2005, 11:51 AM

I know this doesnt help much, but its not often that rental companies have manual tranny cars. You might end up having to use a specialty type rental car place (luxury rentals and those kinds) in order to get it done. It may be different where you're from though so I cant really say for a fact. Good luck though. I learned stick when I bought my car haha. I had to have my dad drive it home from the dealer

Edit: Oh, and I just wanted to add. Even though I dont have one, the S2k doesnt seem like it'd be a hard car to learn on. The tranny is awesome, the clutch has almost no travel or pressure to push down (compared to some cars I've driven. Go drive a mustang mach 1 or cobra and feel how hard it is to push down their clutch... my god haha)
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59 AM

Yeah, not a lot of rental companies have manual transmission cars. I thought about that too.

Prior to getting my S2000, I had at most 1 hour driving experience behind a manual transmission. I read about the basics and was taught what I needed to do mostly by my boyfriend. All that driving experience was pretty much behind a Civic and it's so different than the S2000. (Didn't want to try driving his AP1, though, and potentially break it... haha.) I actually think it's easier to drive my S than it was others' Civics. Maybe I'm just more comfortable?

So I'm pretty much learning how to drive a manual in this car. I haven't had too much trouble other than the beginner jitters of some stalls when starting to move (which was fixed with practice in front of my house). Just practice.

With the driving schools, I definitely recommend it. I haven't personally taken a course but I would love to and would when the opportunity is presented.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:59 AM

Learning to drive stick in the S2K shouldn't be hard at all...there's not much clutch travel and you have a lot of room to rev, it's pretty hard to redline anyway. Don't worry, you'll be fine.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

You'll learn very quickly if you buy a manual car!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by hope2owns2k,Nov 1 2005, 12:48 PM
The more I read the posts on this wonderful forum, and the more I read about this car, the less and less I feel that I can learn how to drive a stick on an s2k. I have friends that have manual transmission cars, such as Integras, and those were their first cars, and learned how to drive stick with those cars. Before doing all of the reading I have done on this car through these forums, I figured I could do the same if/when I was to purchase one, since the car I have now, and the car I had before it were both automatic.

But, with all of this talk of over-revs and the talk of the car being more for the experienced driver, I realize I need some more experience driving a manual before taking the plunge

Here is my dilemma. No one in my family drives a manual, and the friends that have sticks either live too far away for me to practice very often on them, or dont want me to drive their car because of lack of experience haha...Nice catch-22, huh?

So, should I rent a car maybe for 4-5 days that's manual and just drive it tons those days to better learn? Also, some of you speak of schools that will not only help me get used to driving stick, but also help me in handling a rwd car (which I've also never had). Anyone know of a website they could point me to so I could find a school like that near me? How much do they cost on average?

btw, I live in Lexington, Kentucky

Thanks for all the help!

Adam
here are your options
1) probably the easiest way is to find a driving school with manual transmission vehicles and lessons and learn the proper way.
2) else if you are >25 you can probably rent from a specialty rental place that offers manual sports cars e.g. miata (cheapest car with manual tranny)
3) pretend you are about to buy a manual tranny vehicle (e.g. economy car with a manual tranny) and do one of those 24 hour test drives...i remember GM had this a while back and there are manufacturers and dealers willing to do this. I'm pretty sure they'll run a credit check on you though.

Really it only takes a few hours to be not able to stall and drive around, albeit you probably won't be rev matching correctly, have some jerky starts and shifts, and riding the clutch a little.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:15 PM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

First of all, no need to worry about whether you can drive a manual or not until you have the car, and once you do, the S2000 is the easiest manual out to learn on. As long as you don't burn the clutch, or crash in the process, you'll be all set; the car shifts itself.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:30 PM

If you absolutely have no access to a manual transmission car, then enroll in a driving school that teaches stick-shift. Like Adamn said, I don't think any rental companies offer cars with MT. If you end up in a situation where you're driving your new stick car off the lot (I know some people who have done this, myself included), do some reading prior to it. It's not that hard, you'll do fine.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:34 PM

I guess I'm just most nervous about the infamous "overrev". I've heard stories of people having an overrev the first day they get the car due to lack of experience, thus costing them an arm and a leg to get it repaired. Thanks for all the responses! I like that idea of "test driving" a car for 24 hours!!
Old 11-01-2005, 12:35 PM

I'm in process of teaching my wife to drive stick. She is doing pretty well in an economy car, but when I tried to put her behind the wheel of an S, it was really painful to see. Each time she tried to take off, the car started shaking violently back and forth. I suppose she could learn with time, but kind of damage would she inflict on an expensive car in process?

I suggest that you find a driving school and take some classes. Not all schools have manual transmission cars, so you have to check a few places before you find one that does. 6 hours with an instructor will cost something like $150. That should give you enough experience to be able to rent a car from a luxury rental place like Rent-A-Vette. I bought my first stick-shift car after 4 hours with an instructor and some time ( an hour total ) driving friends' cars. I was able to test-drive it and to drive it home.

I'm not aware of any manufacturers that offer 24-hour test drives at the moment. Subaru had this program last month but I think it was discontinued. GM site does not show anything either.

Quick Reply: Manual driving experience