S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MG Racing CAI...coming soon!

Old 10-25-2000, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get ready for this! Giampiero has asked me to be the tester for MG's new cold air intake. I posted about this just before the last crash/hack at h-a, so some of you may be aware of this. But MG is in the process of creating a carbon fiber intake similar in design to the Mugen intake. It has the scoop design that runs over the radiator to the front and has the intake in the fascia.

They are using a cylindrical filter, which I am told, is a better style filter than a conical one. There will also be a plastic version, made to have the look of carbon fiber, but without the carbon fiber price obviously.

I will be dyno'ing Scarlet before and after the installation so gains will be documented. The anticipated price for the pure carbon fiber one is targeted at about 600 dollars. I should be getting mine in 4-6 weeks. I'll be posting more about it as the date approaches.

I can't wait...! Any questions, ask away...!
Old 10-25-2000, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go Giampiero!!! And Greg for trying it out...

Definitely interested in the results... How does CF conduct heat versus plastic?
Old 10-25-2000, 02:02 PM

Will they have to modify (read cut) the hood to make it fit like the Mugen?

Just curious.
Old 10-25-2000, 02:04 PM
Banned

That is an excellent question, Black. And frankly, I can only speculate. I would bet that carbon fiber of enough thickness would be a great insulator, certainly opposed to metal/aluminum and even over plastic to some degree. That has been one of my complaints with several CAI's on the market now for the S2000 and other cars. The intake tube is made of freaking aluminum! Wrong...all wrong!

So as I said, I can only speculate. I think it will be nicely isolated from any heat from the radiator, which is what I think you were/are concerned with, yes?

Anyone else have input on the heat conductance of carbon fiber?
Old 10-25-2000, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Mack:
Will they have to modify (read cut) the hood to make it fit like the Mugen?

Just curious.

I saw that cutting that Randy had to do for his Mugen. I am not clear on whether that will be required on the MG yet. I am leaning towards it being necessary, but I don't know for sure. I will ask Giampiero that very question the next time I speak with him.

Or maybe he can chime in here and let us know for sure...Giampiero? How about that?
Old 10-25-2000, 02:15 PM

When I was ordering some stuff from Giamperio some time back, I asked him the same question, and he said no cutting is required.
But the CAI has not been finalised yet so it can still change.

By the way Greg, how do you plan to dyno it when the effect can only be seen when the car is moving?

Thanks
Old 10-25-2000, 02:19 PM

No hood cutting will be needed,Mugen "route"
very nice looking,but cannot collect too much air due to the very small section in top of radiator.
Gimapiero
MG RACING
Old 10-25-2000, 02:25 PM

Maybe this isn't a problem, but will this design block airflow to the radiator? Is it more important to get cold air to the intake or the radiator? What are the tradeoffs?

Tedster
Old 10-25-2000, 02:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by nwk00:
how do you plan to dyno it when the effect can only be seen when the car is moving?
My local performance place uses a huge blower to simulate air movement up to 200kph.
Old 10-25-2000, 02:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nwk00:

By the way Greg, how do you plan to dyno it when the effect can only be seen when the car is moving?
While it is true that intakes are hard to measure on a dyno, one of the things that will be measureable is the effect on performance of the intake of hot air.

Perhaps a better approach would be to measure the temperature of the air coming into the box. I can also perform that test. That should give a pretty good indication of the CAI's actual effectiveneess, though not on hard cold HP gains. With those temperature numbers, you can generalize that performance would be effected by the intake of cooler air. That's not the only factor, obviously, as restriction and filter also play a role here.

Good point, thanks for asking...

And Giampiero, ciao! Com'e stai, amico? E bene che non e necessario cortare...!

That's was an attempt to say that it's good that it is not necessary to cut...! Thanks for clearing that up...

Quick Reply: MG Racing CAI...coming soon!