S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

miscellaneous musings

Old 03-06-2004, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default miscellaneous musings

1)I have owned this car since June 03. I'm just beginning to understand how to "drive" this machine. How long has it taken you guys/gals to fully realize what you can and cannot do with the s2k? I'm defintiely loving it.
2) Are you as totally frustated when you have to drive another car as I am ? After having driven the s2k for any length of time, most other cars seem to wallow on the road, lack response, seem dull to drive, etc. In other words I'm very spoiled by driving the car. Are you?
be safe as you cruise with attitude
Old 03-06-2004, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with #2 to the T....for number one...it did take me a while, but being used to RWD cars, it wasnt too bad.

One suggestion, go to an Auto Cross, and that will really teach you what the limits of the car are, and in a safe environment. Chances are the most damage you can do is hit a cone, and get some orange scuff marks that can be waxed out!
Old 03-07-2004, 02:24 AM

1. Lots of learning to go .
2. I can't stand driving most cars, I'm totally spoiled now.
Old 03-07-2004, 04:19 AM

I'm sure a lot of us can totally relate. I get in my wife's 4-runner now and regularly get the "you can't drive this like your car" speach (take corners too hot, takes way too long to stop etc....)

We had the opportunity to drive a new Crossfire the other day, being curious I said sure. We are about to buy her a new car (325 or G35) so it wasn't really supposed to appeal to me but of course I found myself comparing it to my S. I was wholly disapointed in it, interior felt low rent, pick-up was bla, seats were HORRIBLE!

...nice to be spoiled

Travis
Old 03-07-2004, 06:13 AM

Only have about 700 miles on this car, so the learning curve will be long. Already did an embarrassing 180 showing off to a friend. Hopefully I have learned my lesson.

I really notice how my Jeep Liberty (winter beater), wallows and slobbers all over the place after hugging the road all day in the S!
Old 03-07-2004, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by ktinley

I really notice how my Jeep Liberty (winter beater), wallows and slobbers all over the place after hugging the road all day in the S!
Tell me about it. I'm in the process of selling my S for an SUV. I've had to test drive the SUV's a few times each just to get to the point that I could compare them without expecting too much from them. The first round through, I hated everything I drove. Had to step back and keep telling myself that no matter what I buy, it won't handle like the S.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For #1, I've owned my S since June of 02' and I'm still not used to it. I grew up with GM V-6's and V-8's and still haven't got used to such a high revving car. These cars would shoot connecting rods if they revved as high as the Honda S2000 does. I find myself shifting early, maybe too early, I rarely take my car over 4,500 RPM. Maybe once or twice a month. So yes, I'm still learning after almost 2 years.

For #2, yes, my other car, a 94' Chevrolet Corsica, is about as opposite you can get from an S2000. It has a relatively powerful 160HP 3.1L V-6 but is hindered with an unresponsive 4 speed automatic transmission, slow heavy steering, and weak brakes. But, it's cheap to insure, maintain and repair, has a real trunk, seats five and only wants 87 octane.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:52 AM

I only have 1k miles on my 04, and am more and more amazed with the car every day. Last night I was in VTEC on the highway 5 or 6 times, pulling away from a couple of ricers. What an adrenelan rush!

I have managed to break the rear loose a couple of times in a controlled situation, however I recovered quickly. RWD is a blast to drive.

I had an Isuzu Trooper a few years ago, and every time I pull beside an SUV, especially a H2, I wonder how those people manage to drive those land yahts on a daily basis. I would get mentally fatigued driving the Trooper after even 30 miles.

My other car, a '67 Firebird convertible with a 428, is the exact opposite of the S, but it's fun in a different way.

On an aside, one think that amazes me is that some "car guys" don't even know about the S. I told a friend of mine who is really into cars that I bought an S, and his response was "yeah, there are a lot of ladies in my neighborhood who drive an S". The S is one of the best kept secrets in the car industry.
Old 03-07-2004, 10:51 AM

I agree with the autocross suggestion - great way to learn a car. I did my first RWD autocross a couple of Sundays ago and this is gonna be a FUN car to learn! I'm in a rental Camry right now (don't ask) - it's like driving the Titanic.
Old 03-07-2004, 03:37 PM

Still learning how to drive it (have had it less than a month!). The responsive handling is unbelievable. About the same performance as the '97 Firebird Formula I had, handles much better, accelerates as good or better once you start rolling -- unfortunately no comparison off the line.

I drive a '03 4Runner V8 for commuting (DC traffic is miserable, DC roads are terrible, and you need the height to see what is up ahead). It is such a different driving experience that I truly appreciate being able to drive the S again.

Quick Reply: miscellaneous musings