S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

to mod or not to mod...

Old 12-07-2000, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is the question.
i was wondering how many people are going to keep their stook exactly the same way they got it from the dealer. and for those who are modifying, when will you know when to stop? 500hp?
Old 12-07-2000, 03:30 PM

All I am going to do is add a front spoiler, but that's even a maybe.

In terms of performance mods... I'm hoping in the coming year more stuff will come out but as of now, I'm staying put.
Old 12-07-2000, 03:40 PM

i believe 350HP would suffice
Old 12-07-2000, 03:41 PM

Rico, my view on mods is pretty clear.

My experience with other vehicles/bikes etc is that after market mods are usually not as good quality as original equipment and need to be done in combination with other mods.

This involves a fair degre of experimentation, hoever, I am convinced 95% of us never get it quite right and end up with something that is less than the original.

The mods also cost us a lot of money which we never get payback on when we sell and in most cases we will reduce the resale value compared with a stock vehicle.

The only reasonably succesful mod I have made is the replacement of the muffler on my Suzuki 1200 Bandit bike. It frees up heaps of power and sounds great but does cause the bike to noticeably surge at constant throttle sppeds (and yes I spent a lot of time rejetting the carbs to try and eliminate this).
Old 12-07-2000, 03:49 PM

Pipes on a bike is a given! They usually free up about 20lbs, had a few HP, look and sound wonderful. My RC-51 sounded like a sewing machine until I slapped on some Titanium Arrows, now I have the V-Twin boom.

As for the car, I'm really happy with how it's set up and worried that one mod might lead to another, to another, ad nauseum.

I am intrigued by the supercharger but would like to see a dyno before *that* amount of cash is put down. There is nothing like owning a sleeper car. Mind you the stook certainly doesn't fit into the sleeper looks category but you'd certainly surprise alot of big liter supercars.
Old 12-07-2000, 04:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Id be done when I shave 2 sec off the 1/4 mile while at the same time, improving the already exxxelent handling.
Old 12-07-2000, 06:16 PM

It seems to me that the spoon lower front x brace and rear lower brace are no-brainers. They elevate the already good structural rigidity to the spectacular.

Stereo upgrades are a must if you want to listen to music while you drive. The stock stereo is good only in the off position.

I'm not sure about intakes, headers and exhausts. I would need to know that the intake does not cause any driveability problems, and yeilds an actual improvement in power output. I've heard the Mugen headers make a funny noise (hissing?). If they sounded stock, I'd get them for the power increase. People seem to be paying about a grand for exhausts, not for power or performance improvements, but for the increased and "improved" sound. For me there's no benefit side of the cost benefit balancing there.

Superchargering. There's the rub! 340 HP with some improvement in low end torque would be sweet! We've discussed the cost/risk - benefit balancing on that option. For me, the appeal of an extra 100 HP is really appealing.

Just my 2 yen.

2x6spds
Old 12-07-2000, 07:16 PM

The S2000 is one of the most complete cars out of the factory I've ever driven. I'll probably just keep it the way it is.
Old 12-08-2000, 03:59 AM

I got caught up in the mod madness with my Camaro SS, I don't race so I will probably just spend my moolah on stereo and gadgets. I might get an STB and thats about it.
Old 12-08-2000, 04:02 AM

I love the car stock w/ no body modifications, however I have been adding interior stuff like Rick's goodies (they're awesome!) and the Honda factory accessories one by one

Quick Reply: to mod or not to mod...