S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My car almost burnt up in flame.

Old 04-01-2001, 07:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No this is not an April-fool joke. But the joke could have in on me.

I was staying at my girlfriend's place last night and I dozed off. I woke up in middle of the night and decided to go home. When I got outside, the ambience was filled with fire-burning smell and while briskly walking to the parking lot, I got to see the fire truck and the fire fighters working to extinguish the fire somewhere. I couldn't see clearly as to what is going on because of all the smoke and commotion but my heart started to race as I got closer and discovering that the fire is raging in the vicinity of where I parked my car.
Holy smoke!, it wasn't my car but the car in front of me, late model Mitsubish Gallant, was up in flame! The firefighters were frantically working to put the fire out from the engine bay! Oh Gosh, this was no time to stick around to be like a spectator but a time to get my butt into the car and get the heck outta there in nano-second.
As I quickly drove off to the safer area, my head was filled with all sorts of thought of what could've been.
I couldn't assess any damage done to my car clearly because it was still pitch black outside but it looked to be ok. The front of my car was covered with a film of fire-extinguishing material and the engine bay reeked of burning smell but I couldn't find any damage done to my car, thank God!

I guess I was very lucky and certainly luck was on my side that night.
This couldn have been certainly very very worse. If one thing didn't go right at that time I would certainly be without my car today and so is with many owners of the cars there. Still the visions of my car blowing up in bits and pieces haunt me and scare the heck out of me.
Damn!
Old 04-01-2001, 07:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car had caught fire from the Mitsubishi Galant, do you think Honda would have claimed it was your fault for not checking the engine oil every fill-up?

GREAT that you escaped trouble. The work you've put in that car is amazing!
Old 04-01-2001, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am suprised that the fire dept. let you get that close to all the activity.
Old 04-01-2001, 08:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Randy,

Was his engine bay the furthest or closest end to your baby? If it was closest, I would check your paint for blisters or discoloration from the heat. If the fire was contained to the engine bay and it was the furthest end, you are probably ok (other than a near heart attack!)
Old 04-01-2001, 09:41 AM

Ironically a car actually did catch on fire at my work the other day... electrical short.

Old 04-01-2001, 05:20 PM

I have had a car drive up behind me while on fire. At first im thinking. "cool" hes got a little flame action there below the engine. Then it dawns on me that there is no way thats normal.

Talk about scary. I jumped out and yelled "Your on fire." He proceeded to pop the hood and billows of black smoke started comming out. Scared the $@#$ out of me. Sad part was I wanted to get out of there and laid on the horn while at the red light. (about 5 cars in front of me) Nobody moved till the light changed I went to nearest store and called fire dept. Turns out the guy had just installed some engine mods and probably left a spark plug wire disconnected inside a dirty compartment. (It was an old school "Z")

Sucks to have that happen. Worse than an accident IMO.

I have also had dealership mechs leave plug boots on my old mustang disconnected and found them arcing to the body later that day. Im glad I always keep my bay clean. Never went to that dealer again.

Tsu~

'01 yellow/black #4588
"Brittney"
Old 04-01-2001, 05:30 PM

You'd be amazed at how many car fires there are.
I go on one almost every month. Rarely do we go more than two months without one. And that is just my station.

dave
Old 04-01-2001, 06:35 PM

Remember the Pontiac Fiero? The first year they came out, one out of every 230 or so caught on fire. Pretty good odds.
Old 04-01-2001, 09:28 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

Hmmm.. might be time to do some Nomex MuZMats.

Good thing the car didn't explode.
Old 04-01-2001, 09:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Speed 2000
[B]Remember the Pontiac Fiero?

Quick Reply: My car almost burnt up in flame.