S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My engine is being torn apart...

Old 05-12-2004, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My engine is being torn apart...

This is the 3rd time the CEL came on and its the same code that cause cylinder #2 misfire. It happen when i reached 30k, took it in and they did the spark plug recalled. I thought it was fine until it appears the 2nd time...the service guy check everything. I even mention to them about the injectors and they said its was fine and told me that sometimes it just throw off the code for no aparent reason. Well, after driven for a couple hundred miles, the damn CEL came back on again Don't know why but this is getting frustrating. They gave me a rental and said it will be a couple a days before they can tell me what's wrong. Hope you guys don't have similiar problem like i did. SUX !!
Old 05-12-2004, 11:53 AM

you are lucky you are still under warr.
I am paying to have the same problem fixed.
Old 05-12-2004, 12:22 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

When you say they checked everything, what does that mean?

An easy check is to swap the coil pack from one cylinder to another. If the problem follows the coil pack, it's a bad coil. If the problem persists it is likely and injector.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruexp67
When you say they checked everything, what does that mean?

They checked the coils,injectors, plugs and whatever that's not internal..

Yes i'm glad that its cover under waranty
Old 05-12-2004, 10:38 PM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

let us know what the problem was.
Old 05-17-2004, 11:28 AM

Any updates?
Old 05-17-2004, 01:18 PM

I am in the same situation. My car been back to multiple dealers with misfire code. First it was cylinder #1, now its #1, #2, #3, and the dealer said it could be a bent valve too. But what I don't understand is that if it was a bent valve, a bent valve would be noticable all the time.

Any sugestions? H E L P!
Old 05-17-2004, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hard to believe the engine would have to be torn down for this...but

Are you sure the dealer you are working with has skilled S2000 tech(s)?

Note to all:

This is just my opinion, but I have determined who the two best S2000 wrenches (techs) are in Richmond. One works at West Broad Honda, the other at Richmond Honda. The service center has these guys specialize in the S2000 so they know the proper fluids, procedures, and have seen many of the common ailments and TSB's.

This is really the best way to do it.
Before I would let anyone tear down the engine, i would want to know that a tech who is experienced with the car has been all over it, and ruled out any externally serviceable malfunction. I have zero tolerance for those who let anyone "take a whack at it", just because they have a set of Snap-Ons and have been to tech class. You could be a great Accord tech, but without expertise in the S2000, I would not want you playing doctor with my car.
Old 05-17-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All:

It is possible for a valve to be very slightly bent from hitting the piston but the engine will still run. Every time the valve closes the valve spring will make it "straighten" to seal against the valve seat. The valve is still bent but since the spring is pretty strong it will straighten and seal. If there is any leakage in the combustion chamber the OBD II will detect a mis-fire and turn on the check engine light. Usually a P0301,02,03,04 misfire code but all you may feel is a bit more vibration.

After ?? time the valve head will stress and break off and make lots of bad sound. That is why some people say that the engine quit running on a city street.

The over rev took place many miles ago.

HTH,
woodwork
Old 05-17-2004, 06:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodwork
Hi All:

It is possible for a valve to be very slightly bent from hitting the piston but the engine will still run.

Quick Reply: My engine is being torn apart...