S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My S is safer than your S

Old 04-01-2006, 09:50 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts
Default My S is safer than your S

Over the past couple days, its come to light that S2000's in different markets (North America, Europe, Asia) have different "safety" features. This is what I've caught so far:

With NAs, you have to press the unlock button twice on the fob to get the passenger door open. On E models, you don't - one click and both doors unlock.

With NAs, if you lock the door from inside using the door tab, both doors lock, but when you pull the tab to unlock the doors, only the driver's door unlocks. With E models, both doors unlock.

To start an A or NA S, you have to press the clutch pedal in. On Es, you don't.

On all S's, you have to come to a complete stop and pull the e-brake to drop the top. Its pretty well known however that you can bypass the speed and/or e-brake sensors to drop the top while in motion with or without one click of the e-brake.

So we have a solution for this problem, but I'm wondering if anyone's looked into how the door locks operate differently and if there's a way those of us with NA S's can modify our locks so both doors unlock with a single fob press or when the door tab is pulled.

Also, are there any other market specific features that bug us that maybe we can find solution to by looking at S's from other parts of the world?

Just thinking...
Old 04-01-2006, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best safety feature in any S is the driver, regardless of MY or where you are on this tiny planet.
Old 04-01-2006, 10:10 AM

Looks like the japs are jealous of our humongous trouser snakes and they do these things just to piss us off
Old 04-01-2006, 11:43 AM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Well the double door thing is part of some strategy to keep sneaky crooks from climbing into your back seat when you unlock your car, but I don't see why we need it on a two door roadster.
Old 04-01-2006, 12:31 PM

i'm with SakiGT on this one, let's figure out the passenger door unlocking-from-inside conundrum for the usdm s2k's! I can't believe since the car was introduced in late 99 that they still haven't addressed this "not a big deal but still annoying" (IMHO) issue. meanwhile, they've changed the cupholders, shift knobs, the finish on the radio door and other dash/console bits, added VSA, changed the steering wheel, added headrest speakers, etc. ... and left the door unlocking thing unchanged!
Old 04-01-2006, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mikes256,Apr 1 2006, 11:10 AM
Looks like the japs are jealous of our humongous trouser snakes and they do these things just to piss us off
A Jap? Bet you are 50+ and white huh? Why ARE you driving a JAP car btw? Pontiac just came out with Solstice.
Old 04-01-2006, 04:06 PM

only thing that's ever bothered me is when i need to let someone in. and i have to reach over and unlock the door.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard that either Sweden or Finland has the OEM NAV option and the steering wheel on the same side as th US. I don't know if it is true, but would like to know more because that would mean there is LHD OEM bezel. Hope this applies to your thread. I would also like to know if there is an easy way to change how the door locks function. I would probably only go for it if it were something like the no A/C with defroster code though.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:40 PM

There is NO OEM Nav option in Finland
Old 04-01-2006, 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Apr 1 2006, 10:50 AM]

To start an A or NA S, you have to press the clutch pedal in.

Quick Reply: My S is safer than your S