S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My spin

Old 12-15-2001, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My spin

I had read the very interesting and informative thread on spin awhile back. The advice was excellent and comported with my experience as a driver. I have had several performance cars of various types over the years and am very accustomed to driving them. Last night as my wife and I were coming home from a friends party I had my first unexpected spin. It was about 40 degrees outside, the car had been sitting for about 2 hrs and we had gone about three blocks. As I approached a right hand turn marked for 20 mph I was doing about 35. I let off the throttle and the rear just stepped out. I was totally taken by surprise it was so unexpected. I corrected, gave it a little throttle and it started to come back but slid slowly up into the front yard of the adjacent home. It just kissed a tree ( which has been hit multiple times apparently) on the front. I was going so slow at contact that the airbags didn't even deploy but it did crunch the front.

I have never experienced such an unexpected loss of rear end grip in any car before. No warning, no indication that it was coming, just a sudden snap. I went back in my 300 SDL this morning and drove through the very same curve at 40 with no sweat! That was the weirdest driving experience I've ever had. I have brand new SO2's on the front and about 2500 miles on the rears. Plenty of tread. I am at a loss to explain it. Just wanted to add my experience to the collective knowledge.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

glad you are o.k.
the low temps didnt help anything. tires cold...
pretty unforegiving corner!
hows your car?
Old 12-15-2001, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was it raining? Was the road wet?
Old 12-15-2001, 07:32 AM

Sucks doesn't it. Glad our collective advice about spinning was of some help. You had the problem because the rear S-02s are (to use Beig's word) squirmy when cold. Perhaps squirmy isn't strong enough a word; they're gumballs. Not knowing this unusual fact about them, there is probably little you could have done. Bet you never forget, though, huh?

The fronts don't seem to have any unusual design choices. It's just one of the quirks of the rears. Sorry you had to learn nearly hardest way. Perhaps you've helped someone else...

Probably by the time you need new tires, we'll have a pretty good sense of your options.
Old 12-15-2001, 07:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some more information would be nice. 35mph in what gear? Was he still travelling straight, when the back stepped out. A 20mph bend sounds a 3rd or 2nd gear choice to me. That gear should have been selected before the bend. If he had actually started to turn and "Just let off the throttle" a spin isn't too surprising is it? I'm not jumping on anyone's case here, and I'm glad Lawdog is O.K., I just don't think we have all the facts.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lawdog
[B]II went back in my 300 SDL this morning and drove through the very same curve at 40 with no sweat!
Old 12-15-2001, 08:25 AM

I don't believe the tire temp is an issue with very many modern street performance tires (including regular S-02s.) It's clearly not an issue with any non-performance tires.

Does anyone know of any other high performance tire manufactured in the last few years that is so sensitive to temp?
Old 12-15-2001, 08:28 AM

Hopefully people won't start to think of "my first spin" as "my first kiss."
I'm getting scared by the overwhelming number of "my spin" stories."

How wet was it? Did you do anything out of the normal? Was there an ice patch on the road?

Weird... but you're ok, so that's fine.

Jimmy
Old 12-15-2001, 08:30 AM

I bet there was moisture on the road.
Old 12-15-2001, 08:30 AM

Sorry I'll try to add some more info. I was in 3rd gear, just entering the curve and lifted (as best I recall it all happened so fast) but the rear came loose in the middle of the curve. I felt like the car started sliding a couple of beats after I started the turn. That is what was so unusual. The turn felt fine up to the point that rear traction was gone.
The SDL has Michelins and 40 in it was a piece of cake. I'm not trying to blame the car, I'm more likely the culprit. But IMHO the tires are a significant factor. It is something I will definately take into consideration when purchasing the next set. The tires are Pole Positions BTW.

Quick Reply: My spin