Go Back  S2KI Honda S2000 Forums > General Interest > S2000 Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help deciding: AP1 Supercharged or AP2

S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need help deciding: AP1 Supercharged or AP2

 
Old 08-27-2017, 12:32 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding: AP1 Supercharged or AP2

Long Story short,
used to own a miata but sold it (7 years ago) ,regretted and ever since I sold it I wanted it back. Now, I have about $15k and looking at CL found me some higher mileage s2k.

With the budget I have test drove two s2k:
2001 AP1 selling at $15,000
- with kraftwerk supercharger installed in 2010 now with 180,000 miles. Stock boost.
- Clean carfax with two owners only and have maintenance receipts shown to me like a brag book
- car is very clean inside out

2007 AP2 selling at $12,000
- stock 150,000 miles with three owners
- minor rear accident repaired by Honda.
- no maintenance receipts
- car has ripped seat on both drive and passenger
​​​​​​- soft top needs a patch

The supercharged AP1 feels very same with the stock AP2 below 5k rpm but it changed to a monster after that. It is going to be my weekend car.

I do feel the supercharged AP1 is slightly over priced being the age and mileage but it is very tempting to own a supercharged s2k.

thoughts?? opinions...
Corso10tx is offline  
Old 08-27-2017, 03:51 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 190
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

You should be able to find a lower mileage AP1 or AP2 for 15K and if you up your budget a few thousand dollars you can find an awesome low mileage S2000. I purchased a cheap 2001 from a Honda dealership and could have purchased a low mileage 2006+ with the money I've put into the car (luckily the car is great now).
klapamos is offline  
Old 08-27-2017, 07:14 PM
  #3  
 
WVCR-V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 584
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

I recenlty saw a 2004 with only 47k or so miles on it for 18500 obo. I think it may have been on this site. Thta's a HUGE difference compared to the 150k miles one. If you can mange 17-18k that's where these cars really start to get nice.
WVCR-V is offline  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:24 AM
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 99
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

where do you live that s2000 prices are so high? I picked up an 06 with 175k miles for 8k in good condition.
kerby is offline  
Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: North Chicago Suburbs
Posts: 498
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default

For reference I paid $11K for an '06 with ripped seats, 92K miles, brand new top, painted door and fender, with little historical documentation...so the '07 is overpriced.

On buying supercharged are you handy working on cars? If not probably best to stay away. You need to really consider that most people will not pay the premium for aftermarket enhancements such as a supercharger and many consider it a negative. Ask yourself what the 2001 with 180K on the clock is worth stock and it quickly looks very overpriced.
lookstoomuch is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Corso10tx (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 08:02 AM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kerby View Post
where do you live that s2000 prices are so high? I picked up an 06 with 175k miles for 8k in good condition.
I live in Dallas, Tx
Corso10tx is offline  
Old 08-28-2017, 08:03 AM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch View Post
For reference I paid $11K for an '06 with ripped seats, 92K miles, brand new top, painted door and fender, with little historical documentation...so the '07 is overpriced.

On buying supercharged are you handy working on cars? If not probably best to stay away. You need to really consider that most people will not pay the premium for aftermarket enhancements such as a supercharger and many consider it a negative. Ask yourself what the 2001 with 180K on the clock is worth stock and it quickly looks very overpriced.
Good point.
Corso10tx is offline  
Old 08-28-2017, 11:36 AM
  #8  
Community Organizer
 
lane_viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,633
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch View Post
On buying supercharged are you handy working on cars? If not probably best to stay away. You need to really consider that most people will not pay the premium for aftermarket enhancements such as a supercharger and many consider it a negative. Ask yourself what the 2001 with 180K on the clock is worth stock and it quickly looks very overpriced.
I agree, If anything the Supercharged cars should be cheaper than Stock IMO. Sounds like the sellers live in a dream world.
lane_viper is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Corso10tx (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 12:15 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
GuthNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Oregon
Posts: 832
Received 66 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

It appears that you're open to a variety of year models. A quick glance at your local craigslist reveals a number of options that seemingly fit your budget and appear to be much better buys than the two you've already mentioned. (As a side note, it also appears that S2000s in your area are selling for cheaper than they are here in the Pacific Northwest.)

Is there a specific color you are wanting or some other factor not previously mentioned?
GuthNW is offline  
The following users liked this post:
Corso10tx (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 03:10 PM
  #10  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GuthNW View Post
It appears that you're open to a variety of year models. A quick glance at your local craigslist reveals a number of options that seemingly fit your budget and appear to be much better buys than the two you've already mentioned. (As a side note, it also appears that S2000s in your area are selling for cheaper than they are here in the Pacific Northwest.)

Is there a specific color you are wanting or some other factor not previously mentioned?
yes, I'm pretty open to year models. I'll definitely look up Craigslist again. Thank you.
Corso10tx is offline  

Quick Reply: Need help deciding: AP1 Supercharged or AP2


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands