S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New '06! Question about hardtop & ears

Old 08-16-2006, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New '06! Question about hardtop & ears

I'm the proud owner of a new '06 S2000, but I'm finding out my ears are a touch sensitive and didn't realize this during my test drives. When I drive even with the top up I'm getting ear pain that I think is from wind buffeting. I didn't buy the car for the convertible and really like the way the car looks with the hardtop. Anyone with the hardtop have similar ear pain issues before they put the hardtop on? Its an expensive accessory and would like some advice before I plunk down the cash. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-16-2006, 08:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How can you have wind buffeting from when the Top is up? No wind hits you.

If your sensetive to sound then thats another issue. Might want to get a pair of ear plugs?

Just for giggles, wear ear muffs. Do you still get the pain then?
Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 PM

Yeah, I know it sounds a little weird. Its not like wind is slamming me in the ears, but I can feel some air pressure maybe?? I tried some sticking some cotton in my ears while my wife drove the car today and it still hurt afterwards. I've driven in louder cars before, but this is the first time I've had this problem.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

putting the windows up helps
also try the taller rick's diffuser
Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 PM

I would say a trip to the dr's is in order before a trip to the honda dealership for a hardtop seriously though...
Old 08-16-2006, 09:38 PM

buffeting or buffering? They mean opposite things and I think that is confusing to readers. Please describe what you think is causing the ear pain, more wind or less wind with the hardtop.

I have an OEM 03 hardtop. Depending on the installation, there can be some wind noise. Part of the installation testing calls for adjusting the sides (there are some screws you can't see I think) to adjust for wind noise and water. One of the tests after the installer puts on the hardtop is to run a water hose over the hardtop and make sure no water gets in and to drive the vehicle and listen for wind noise. Is there wind noise? And at what speeds? This probably needs an adjustment which Honda can fix or the installer if it was someone else. If you have a lot of wind coming in even with the windows up, your installation "fitting" needs some tweaking. That can be fixed.

If it's something else please describe it in more detail.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:24 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by noodles_2005,Aug 16 2006, 10:40 PM
When I drive even with the top up I'm getting ear pain that I think is from wind buffeting.
Are your windows up or down? With top up and windows down, you can get a far worse air pressure differential (varying) at head level than with windows up. You need to try to experiment with one window up (other down), reverse this and then try with both windows up. A hardtop will not resolve this situation as it seems you are particularly sensitive to pressure differentials. The rake of this car's windshield and vent design may be causing this differential. If your experiment does not find a suitable compromise, I'm afraid the combination of the car's design and your medical condition will make this car unliveable.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:32 AM

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

What about trying some earplugs?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:12 AM

The hardtop will quiet things down and since you didn't buy it for the convertible you might as well buy one. They are spendy, but hold their value well in the used market in case you ever decide to sell it.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:00 AM

Well really, your only solution is the following;

Grow out a sick handle-bar mustache, get aviator goggles, a leather driving cap, a scarf to go around your neck, and some gloves.

You need to follow this exactly in order to prevent what you're experiencing now. If you find that this does not correct the matter, you may want to try a tobacco pipe in addition.

Quick Reply: New '06! Question about hardtop & ears