S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New owner - convertible top

Old 03-20-2017, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rpg51 / NDAZONE : thanks for the responses...exactly what I was asking. Many thanks.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:47 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by NDAZONE
Most people on this board have needed to replace the elastic straps on their soft top. I have never had to do this and I believe it is partially because the top is always stored in the folded position.
Not sure I buy into this theory. My 02 was garage stored with the top up and latched for 15 years and rarely driven (8K miles in 15 years) and the oem straps you are referring to are in perfect condition. I wonder if it is the number of cycles that affects those straps more than anything else?
Old 03-21-2017, 03:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
NO!
No on the EZON or the blue top?
Old 03-21-2017, 08:10 AM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Ok, for the past 17 years I have always stored my car with the top down. Most people on this board have needed to replace the elastic straps on their soft top. I have never had to do this and I believe it is partially because the top is always stored in the folded position.
Even if storing top down did save the straps, who cares. New straps are like $15 and can be changed in 15 min with basic hand tools and no mess, and doesn't require any skill.

Worry about preserving the top, not the straps!
Old 03-21-2017, 01:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Even if storing top down did save the straps, who cares. New straps are like $15 and can be changed in 15 min with basic hand tools and no mess, and doesn't require any skill.

Worry about preserving the top, not the straps!
What a concept. And to think that all these years my main focus was on preserving cheap elastic straps.
Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:58 AM

What a concept. And to think that all these years my main focus was on preserving cheap elastic straps.
Thank you for sharing.
You are the one that mentioned preserving straps as a benefit of top down storage.

Others are saying top down storage is not healthy for the top itself, and recommend unlatched top up storage (which I concer with).

So if one has to choose top up or down for storage, its clear which one has a better financial advantage.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:30 PM

You are the one that mentioned preserving straps as a benefit of top down storage.

Others are saying top down storage is not healthy for the top itself, and recommend unlatched top up storage (which I concer with).

So if one has to choose top up or down for storage, its clear which one has a better financial advantage.
How do you figure?
Your "clear" conclusion is based purely on conjecture, whereas mine is based on personal experience. Your argument is baseless.
For 17 years I have stored my top down over the winter storage period (5 months) and every spring, when it is warmed up, the top goes up perfectly and is in practically new shape. My straps comment was merely a side note.

The OP asked for experience with storing the car and whether top up or top down made any difference. My posting was on message and irrefutable.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K632
No on the EZON or the blue top?
No on the blue top...lol.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:02 AM

How do you figure?
Your "clear" conclusion is based purely on conjecture, whereas mine is based on personal experience. Your argument is baseless.
For 17 years I have stored my top down over the winter storage period (5 months) and every spring, when it is warmed up, the top goes up perfectly and is in practically new shape. My straps comment was merely a side note.

The OP asked for experience with storing the car and whether top up or top down made any difference. My posting was on message and irrefutable.
My grandpa smoked every day of his life, and never got cancer.

So smoking isn't bad for your health.

My conclusion is irrefutable...

In case you missed the point, even though we didn't observe a negative outcome of Gramps behavior, doesn't mean there weren't any. Others (more than one) are saying top up storage is healthier for the top.

If there is even a possibility that top down might not be good for tops longevity, its totally worth it to sacrifice the straps toward that end...
Old 03-23-2017, 11:30 AM

Smile

My grandpa smoked every day of his life, and never got cancer.

So smoking isn't bad for your health.

My conclusion is irrefutable...

In case you missed the point, even though we didn't observe a negative outcome of Gramps behavior, doesn't mean there weren't any. Others (more than one) are saying top up storage is healthier for the top.

If there is even a possibility that top down might not be good for tops longevity, its totally worth it to sacrifice the straps toward that end...
Of course you realize that the human body and a canvas material are slightly different. Keeping the top down for a few months in a garage has not been proven to be bad for the longevity of the top. In fact I have proof of the opposite.

I do think that keeping the convertible top down for a very long time, especially in very hot temperatures may shrink the convertible fabric. However, storing the car in poor conditions, with the top down forever is not what I was stating in any of my previous posts. Furthermore, I was not advocating anything, I was merely responding from personal experience to a question from a new owner.

I am really not sure why you keep bringing up the straps. Obviously you have had to replace yours, poor thing. To possibly clear up your confusion, I don't store my car with the top down to preserve anything, I do it since it is, and always has been, third or fourth car which is mostly driven with the top down.

Since you have exhibited such a strong interest in convertible top storage, here is link for you: Convertible top - will it last longer up or down? - Chevelle Tech. After all, we don't own the only car that has a fabric convertible top.

Respond what you will, I am done with this conversation. Have fun with your research.

Quick Reply: New owner - convertible top