S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Noise from dash is driving me crazy!

Old 03-15-2004, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a noise that seems to be coming somewhere from behind my dash or possibly behind the firewall (doubtful). It sounds like a rubbing sound or like the sound a toad makes when you pick it up! It's not a "ribbit", though it's more of a barking toad. Obviously, it's driven me past the point of sanity... I'm hearing this sound mostly on bumpy streets like the one I live on, even when the car is in neutral.

Anyone dealt with any noises from behind the dash?

I had my buddy drive while I positioned myself upside down in the passenger seat with my head down at the floor. I heard it less at that point. I wish I could just drive like that, as the sound wouldn't bug me as much, but that was REALLY uncomfortable and restricted my visibility considerably.

Help, I'm losing it.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:15 AM

Try doing a search. I remember seeing a few threads discussing the problem with dash noises (some were caused by the rear-view mirror on the windshield). Since I don't have the problem, I didn't pay much attention to the threads. I also remember seeing a thread about tightening the nut behind the round hole on both sides of the dash (you see the holes on the sides of the dash when the the two doors are open). I don't know if that will help. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:12 AM

Pull down both sun visors and see if you still have the noise.

If you don't, get some self adheasive rubber bumpers or velvet pads,
from Lowe's and stick them where the visors are making contact.
Old 03-15-2004, 09:40 AM

Do you have the noise with the top up? I have an awfull squeek with the top down that I can't locate, but sounds like its coming from the dash. When the top is up it goes away.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:00 PM

Interesting. Thanks for all the tips, I'll give these a looking into. If it doesn't work, I may be forced to go kill a toad for sport.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 PM

IMO, you need to replace your speakers. With the OEM speakers, you can't really play them loud enough to cover the squeaks.
Old 03-15-2004, 05:04 PM

dave I got the a similar problem on the MY00's but the noise seems to be coming from the door panels. Im too lazy to open it up and check it out so I'll just have to upgrade my speakers =)
Old 03-16-2004, 01:22 PM

The hardest part is trying to determine where the sound is coming from. I think it's from behind the dash, but then it sounds like it's behind me or next to me. R_Duff recommended I take a vacuum cleaner hose and put one end up to my ear and then move the other end around. Is this the best way to locate the sound?
Old 03-16-2004, 03:02 PM

I got that too...It stops when i put my hand on the dashboard. I'd like to open up the dash but I dont have a nice garage to do it in.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:58 PM

Dave, the best I can do is to find the previous thread about tightening the hex bolts to the side of the dash to eliminate a possible source of noise:

Vibration in the dashboard...anybody?.....easy fix here

If you find anything, let us know.

Quick Reply: Noise from dash is driving me crazy!