S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Not a single S2000 spotted in Paris

Old 03-22-2001, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rick`s chances were almost none to see a lot of stooks,
give you an example:here in lisbon theres maybe 100,but you can drive for weeks and only see one ,but saturday mornings all the s2k join up at a very in coffee shop by the river,
this saturday you can probably see 15 all together,and thats nice.
by the way were having our second portuguese meet,honda portugal is going to help out and were expecting over 120
now thats awsome
Old 03-22-2001, 12:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by shingles
[B]Also I think another reason american cars aren't popular is the size.
Old 03-22-2001, 12:36 PM

Hi Guys,
Only recently discovered this site after searching for info on the S2000. Congratulations on an excellent, enjoyable and informative site.
Im actually British, but moved out to Paris for work reasons 1 year ago. Since the move, I have been without a car, for the first time in my eligable life, and have spent a few months researching what I wanted to buy. Ive dried dozens of different cars; SLKs, Boxters, TTs, M3s, Elises, even XK8s. However, having been a previous very happy Prelude VTEC owner, I couldnt have made my choice without giving the S2000 a try.
Now, my grasp of the french language (let alone their driving laws) isnt exactly 100%, nevertheless, a friendly dealer was prepared to let me take a test-drive. This was exactly one week ago today, and suffice is to say, my search has come to an end! Even better than that, I take delivery of my 2001 Silver/Black Stook tomorrow afternoon!
As im sure a lot of you can relate to, reading the posts in this forum has got me way too excited about getting hold of my new baby, and I have to tell you that waiting for delivery of this car takes me back to that feeling you have on X-mas eve as a kid, when you just are way too excited to sleep! (im 28 by the way )
Contrary to popular belief, the french price of the stook doesnt seem too bad to me...i dont know the conversion rate, but i can tell you that i payed 233000 FFr for mine...that is an on-the-road price, including new vehicle registration, a tank of petrol, security marking on the windows, not to mention a hardtop and cd-changer thrown in for free! (this seemed like a pretty good deal to me, but then I would have payed full price for all of these extras if necessary...just give me the damn car!)
Its true, there are very few stooks in Paris...ive only seen one on the road, and out of interest, it was a blue one (looks rather feminine, i agree)
By contrast, there are a lot of American cars out here, especially Chevrolets, but it does depend on your area...the further west you go in Paris, the more you see, as thats where lots of the American-based businesses are located.
Anyway, enough waffle...if have some questions, and would be most grateful if someone could answer me;
1) The "secret compartment" that i see mentioned so often...what is it, and where is it?
2) Im sure its gonna tell me in my manual when I pick it up tomorrow, but at what stage does the VTEC become operational in a new vehicle?
3) After how many KMs is the engine considered broken-in, and what special precautions do i need to take until that time?
4) Are there any other French/Paris-based Stook owners out there?
5) I bought the car first and foremost for performance, and was fully aware of the limited luggage space. Having said that, I was very interested to read about the trunk "saddle-bags"...is there such a thing as an external luggage carrier that could sit somewhere on the trunk for fixing bags etc to, that you see for so many other 2 seater cars? (or am I just being ridiculous?)
Thanks in advance for your help, and keep up the good work!
And wish me luck as I pick up my stook in Paris rush hour tomorrow evening!!!
Now, where did I put those sleeping pills.....
Old 03-22-2001, 12:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In Paris, Hondas and all other Japanese makes are not abundant. You see some, but not many, which leads me to conclude that there's a heavy import duty on Japanese cars.
They're french, ...what can you expect?

Yep, I hated Paris and its' people (long story). Would rather take my chances finding something fun to do in Paris, Texas.

Glad you made it back and had a good time Rick.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:05 PM

I've been to Paris and Normandy several times and I have to say the only people that pissed me off were American tourists. All the French people I interacted with were nice. No different than big city people of any country. My sister-in-law left her really expensive Movado watch in a hotel room in Brittany and I called them up and they Fed-Exed it back to the States before we even got back.

American tourists on the other hand. ARRGGHH. You can always tell the Americans because they are FAT and dressed like idiot tourists. Wearing shorts and those Teva river-rafting sandals even in nice places like the Louvre. I could go on but I see how the Europeans tend to stereotype us Yanks as boorish slobs.

I loved not being able to find any fast food and having to walk everywhere in France. I lost about 10 lbs in the 8 days I was there last time, being the slightly fat American that I am.
Old 03-22-2001, 01:12 PM

now, being a non-american and living in Paris, I couldnt possibly agree with the comments posted about. But hang about, now you mention it, the stereotypical american tourist you descibe above does sound rather familiar!
And for information, theres no damn Burger King or KFC in France..i know, ive been looking (being the slightly-fat ex Brit that i am!)
Old 03-22-2001, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PariS2K
[B]Hi Guys,
Only recently discovered this site after searching for info on the S2000. Congratulations on an excellent, enjoyable and informative site.
Im actually British, but moved out to Paris for work reasons 1 year ago. Since the move, I have been without a car, for the first time in my eligable life, and have spent a few months researching what I wanted to buy. Ive dried dozens of different cars; SLKs, Boxters, TTs, M3s, Elises, even XK8s. However, having been a previous very happy Prelude VTEC owner, I couldnt have made my choice without giving the S2000 a try.
Old 03-22-2001, 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PariS2K,

There actually is a KFC in Paris, near the Pompidou Center (forget the street). We walked past it after leaving a jazz club in the neighborhood late one night. But with the great food everywhere in Paris, why would you ever want to set foot in a KFC? You can get all the fat and calories you want from French cooking.

1Y2KS2K,

Boy, are you right. The designs of even average cars in Europe are far more varied and stylish and make American cars look downright dowdy. Plus there are so many more choices, all the more amazing given that the market is smaller. I guess that says something about the rotten aesthetic judgment of the typical US car buyer, whose tastes American auto manufacturers seem to have captured in endless focus group research.

Another great pleasure was the scarcity of those ugly, gas guzzling, environment-bashing SUV-truck things.
Old 03-23-2001, 04:40 AM

In addition to KFC, Domino's, McDonalds, there IS also a Burger King near the Champs-Elysees in Paris. At least there was when I ate there 3 years ago. Terrible food...........shouldn't have wasted my hard-earned francs eating there!
Old 03-23-2001, 11:01 AM

Not of course that im recommending eating junk food, nor do i want to turn this thread into a fast-food debate, but just for the record;
1)junk food is bad, and yes, paris is full of wonderful restaurants...but if you live here, and eat the wonderful food all the time, there are some time that only something truely unhealthy will do (eg BK/KFC), especially the morning after a heavy night!
2)nope, theres no longer any Burger Kings in France...my source says the last one closed down about 2 years ago (although there may still be one in one of the airports)
3)regarding the alleged KFC..never noticed it, ill keep my eyes open!
4)picked up my stook 2hours ago, and its bloody wonderful...see main board for my experience!

Hope to get some pics sorted soon...but ive got a weekend of driving ahead of me yet...The Loire Valley, I think (although i dont think im gonna be able to bring back too many bottles of wine!)

Laters!

Quick Reply: Not a single S2000 spotted in Paris