S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

not sure where to post this......paint chipping!!!!

Old 09-01-2002, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default not sure where to post this......paint chipping!!!!

ok heres the run down....in feburary i was in an accident and the car was pretty bad $12000.00 worth of damage and 3 months without her
anyway i have the yellow and because of the nature of the damage and color of the paint it had to be entirely repainted....this is where the question comes it......
1. there are decent size chips of paint comming off of the car in different areas the hood, sides, doors ect.....the back bumper is bran new so it only has the new paint on it not the old, well there are no chips there...i am wondering is there to much paint on the car and thats why it is chipping?
2. the yellow is 100% differnt then the stock yellow i found this out when i went to a meet on friday night and jims yellow was a lot differnt than mine.
3. the body shot is saying that they can only fix a couple of the chips cause the other ones are from "rocks" well my stock paint never did this and you can tell that it is not from rocks hitting the car.
4. now that i know that the color is off anyway what should i do should i say to the body shop that they have to paint the car again and make sure the paint doesnt chip because the "rock" thing is bs....what should i do......................HELP!
thanks jen
Old 09-01-2002, 12:04 PM

Your best bet is to complain, complain, complain. They sound shady to me, talk to other body shops and cross check what they say. Check the invoice and see if it says anything like Honda Spa yellow pearl for the color, because if it does and thats not the color make them respray it.
Keep us posted
Xv7vX
Old 09-01-2002, 12:45 PM

Sounds like a poor paint job to me.

Michael
Old 09-02-2002, 08:53 AM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Jen,
Sounds like the paint prep could have been not up to par if this is amajor issue. There's a body shop in Woodbury that I can recommend, if you want someone else to look at it.

Ken
Old 09-02-2002, 09:16 AM

If the paint didn't match to spec, I would have asked them to re-do the entire paintjob. I understand that you may not have noticed the difference in color until seeing another yellow one side by side.

If they are willing to fix some of the chips, why not do them all? It only makes sense since they will already have the paint mixed. I would not stop making noise and being a pain in the ass to them until you are satisfied with what they offer.

Oh yeah...btw, did you ever win that radio station contest where we voted for you??
Old 09-02-2002, 09:16 AM

Jen, as I told you when we met at the last meet, you have to many "mills" of paint on your body. This is what is causing the paint to chip off. I have tried to describe this to other S2000 owners that get into an accident and have it repainted. There is a process that our car has to go through in order to be properly painted.

In your case they should have stripped the car down to bone and started the process of repainting your car from scratch.

There is two ways to rectify the situation.

1. As long as the shop you brought your car to was considered a "Pro Shop" by your insurance agency, they have to garauntee the work. You can have it redone if the workmanship is not up to par. Obviously its not.

2. You may have to go to small claims court and bring an estimate on having the car stripped and repainted, so the proper amount of damages can be recovered.

There is too much to type on this topic, so just call me or email me and I can guide you through the motions.

I can explain in detail how the car should be repainted, refer you to a body shop that specializes in S2000's, and tell you what actions to take to get your way!
Old 09-02-2002, 10:09 AM
Former Moderator

if you went to this shop through your insurance company then call your agent. They are the ones paying for it, they have to pay for it to be done right.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:14 PM

On the up side, your new paint color may be much easier to match than the original spa yellow.
Old 09-02-2002, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Snowdon
Sounds like a poor paint job to me.

Michael
Michael, You're right on. This story gets my blood boiling. Typically, most body shops offer some type of satisfaction guarantee that stays in effect even after you take the car home. How enforecable these things are is a different question. At this point, I would sue!!! Plain and simple.

Body shops are becoming increasingly pressured by insurance companies to compromise quality for cost. Some are not even capable of working on certain cars to begin with. The result is a disaster like this one.

JEN: SUE BOTH THE INSURANCE COMPANY AND THE BODY SHOP!