S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Not your typical AP1 vs AP2 question

Old 10-21-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 139 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Not your typical AP1 vs AP2 question

Looking into buying a S2000. I'm fairly set on a 2002 GPW/Red AP1 model but just to maybe sway me into an AP2 and pass the time while I find one, some questions if you please.

So AP1 vs AP2, what are the problems/quirks associated with each model? I know the basics, 2.0l vs 2.2l, AP1 =9000redline vs AP2=8000redline, AP1 = a little more tail happy but what have been the observed problem areas or quirks specific to each? Or maybe categorizing into AP1 vs AP2 is too general as I understand Honda was constantly updating the S2K...What quirks/problems during which model years?

I plan on doing some road trips with this so what about gas mileage? any significant (observed) change in gas mileage between the two models? road noise?

I do plan on modifying the car although it will be kept to a minimum. Only changes I plan to make are lighter driveshaft, lighter flywheel, front sway bar, maybe a drop-in K&N filter and perhaps a tuned ECU upgrade. anybody have any experience with these modifications that would care to report driving impressions? I'm especially interested in how, if, the front sway bar had any impact on the rear end not being so happy.

I think that's all for now. Thank you for reading and I hope to be a "true" member of the club someday. If you know anybody with a 2002 GPW/red S2000 for sale send them my way!

-Chee
Old 10-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Best thing to do is read. There is so much information on here. Go to the different sections like under the hood or naturally aspirated section and read up.

Also search for Flashpro by Hondata.

Most importantly read this https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=572250