S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 04-23-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the title is clean, body panels matches the Vin #, has paper work for maintenances and engine rebuild then I believe is not a bad deal. Make sure you do a compression test on the motor.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New help with the value of used s2000

Hello fine s2k folks- I was wondering about the value of my year 2000 s2k. I have nice near mint gray s2k with 85k miles. The engine had a case of piston slap. The slap was making a noise. I took the block out and took it to a import performance shop be machined. The shop said that I need the block sleeved and I am getting JE pistons and skunk 2 rods. The cost is over 3 grand just for the machining and parts. I was wondering if that will make the car more valuable when selling? The shop said the sleeved and updated block will be good for over 1000 hp on boost. I wanted to get some input from the s2k folks on this matter? Any thoughts.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I wouldn't say that will make the car MORE valuable than it would be if in perfect OEM condition.
Upgrades/mods/aftermarket parts don't typically add value to cars.
That being said - to the right buyer it might be in a unique situation. I won't not apply that thought to the average buyer though.
The following users liked this post:
Jrow inventions (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:18 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

That work reduces the value of the car, at least in my eyes. From what I've learned on this site, once these engines are cracked open and worked on....it's just not the same.
The following users liked this post:
Jrow inventions (04-23-2018)
Old 04-23-2018, 09:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Personally, my thought is the buyer's perception will be negative. 85k engine issues imply a hard life on the engine, especially if performance upgrades installed. Bringing it back to stock for sale may result in a lot of documentation on why engine rebuild was required. I am a newer owner, with a nearly stock configuration and I would not have been a buyer, at any price, for an 85k engine rebuilt car.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for compression test. For a high mileage car I think it is a must. A car like this is a good deal or bad depending on how much additional work you need to do and your expectations of what you want from a high milage car like this.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PapiChuloNica
If the title is clean, body panels matches the Vin #, has paper work for maintenances and engine rebuild then I believe is not a bad deal. Make sure you do a compression test on the motor.
Okay so I contacted him, he claims to have all maintenance records and engine rebuild recipt from 70,000 miles ago with matching serial numbers on motor and paperwork. He said it was all installed at Kiwi Motorsports in Newhall and all work was done there.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeGee1

Okay so I contacted him, he claims to have all maintenance records and engine rebuild recipt from 70,000 miles ago with matching serial numbers on motor and paperwork. He said it was all installed at Kiwi Motorsports in Newhall and all work was done there.
I'd ask for copies of some of the more recent maintenance records and physically go into Kiwi Motorsports and ask them if they remember this car. Let them know that you are considering purchasing it and see if they are willing to tell you any potential issues with it and what you should look out for.

I would 100% do a compression test prior to buying.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eight
I'd ask for copies of some of the more recent maintenance records and physically go into Kiwi Motorsports and ask them if they remember this car. Let them know that you are considering purchasing it and see if they are willing to tell you any potential issues with it and what you should look out for.

I would 100% do a compression test prior to buying.
I agree go talk to Kiwi Motorsports and good luck. Hopefully, the vehicle is well maintained. cheers
Old 04-23-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Pricing is going to somewhat dependent on how rare or plentiful these cars are in your area. You've already received lots of good advice from the others here. Obviously your budget also plays a big role in such a decision.

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3