S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ohlins installed and thoughts.

Old 08-24-2003, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohlins installed and thoughts.

Well, after much research I finally decided to go with Ohlin coil-overs.

The main thing I was looking for was more control at higher speed. I had found that the stock shocks allowed a lot of position change, felt like it foated over rolling rises above 50 miles an hour and seemed unstable above 80. Not bad mind you, but after 30K miles I felt it was time to try and make an improvement in the way the car handles.

I had the shocks installed last Wednesday and am set for alignment this week. I had read on this forum that someone felt a good starting point was 6 clicks from full hard. Since the manual is in small print I didn't see Ohlins recommendations for 16 clicks until after rechecking and driving 100 miles from the shop to home.

To my surprise I found that the car was quite smooth on a smooth road and felt smoother over small bumps, such as road markers and cracks. The ride over larger bumps, or smaller pot holes were quite firm and, basically, too dam hard for every day driving. While I new this would be great on the track, this is my every day driver, and I often take my wife on various weekend runs. While this could normally be changed very quickly, a sub woofer box we had installed in the place of the rear tire kept us from installing the adjuster in the right rear until Friday when I could modify the Sub enclosure. Since I didn't want to run the left and right uneven I just left them the same until Friday.

Now that this is done and I have the shocks set on 16, as per the manual, I am quite pleased with the ride. The care seems to ride smoother over all road surfaces and seems quieter do to this change in ride characteristics. While it is smoother and rides very well, it is definitely firmer? This may seem a contradiction in terms, but the car now handles all bump with less shock transferred through the car while keeping positional weight changes to a minimum.

The car basically feels like someone glued the tries to the pavement. One thing I don't like at this point is that the steering feels much slower and the car seems less neutral. I am passing this off until I get the alignment done though. It looks like when we lowered the car the front tires are now towed out quit a bit, and camber on all four is quite a bit greater than before. I know that tow out will usually quicken steering and turn in so I am a bit anxious to see how the car drives when its done. I haven't had the alignment done for some time and not since I had changed to 17" wheels and tires. I will report in as soon as I get the alignment done on how it drives.

At this point while the car does handle way better, I am not thrilled at this point with making the change. A lot of this is due to all the time it is taking to get everything just right. The sub woofer issue was unexpected and then driving home with the shocks set way too stiff kind of cooled off any excitement I had when the shocks arrived. Now I have to make some final adjustment in ride height before alignment and hopefully I will be done. Another issue is deciding on a final ride height. I like the way the car looks lowered, but this is a definite disadvantage around town and going in and out of some of the parking lots around hear. Just one more fly in the ointment is the lack of wrench to adjust the spring purch. Ohlin didn't send one and I am 100 miles from the shop that installed them.

I have the car currently set with the car lowered 1" all the way around. The fenders are now 25 1/8" off the floor with pressures set even. I had set height form the rims, but thought some of you would appreciate the reading from the ground.

Thanks to all for the great information I have been able to find on this board. I will keep you informed on my feelings after everything is done.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the post. Let us know how it is after the alignment.

What other manufactures did you consider? Pros cons? What were your priorites in a coil-over system? I too am looking for a set down the road but I have heard tuning the S is a rather difficult task.

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the review. Did it get rid of your initial need which was to reduce/get rid of the choppiness at high speed and wobble? I'm assuming setting 16 is the softest, is it still way stiffer than stock at that setting?

Where is the valving adjuster on the front and back? Assuming front is at the top of the tower and accessible from the engine bay and the rear from the spare tire area. Is that right?
Old 08-24-2003, 09:21 PM

I had considered Bilstein's adjustable. I believe PSS 9? From what I have heard these would be really good on the street and still trackable.

As far as stiffness goes, the car feels more compliant over small bumps but firmer over undulations. The whole car is simply more stable. When I was coming home I ventured up to 90+ in a section where I know the car had felt a bit twitchy in the past. At that speed, even before alingnment, the car felt absolutely planted and smooth. I had never felt anything that good at that speed before, but this setting is just too stiff for every day.

I can't wait to test it after alignment. As far as the setting, I don't know if this is the softest. I would assume not because this is what the factory recommended to start with and made suggestions for tuning up and down.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:09 PM

Sloopy,

A few more q's, if you don't mind:

1. What are the spring rates compared to stock?
2. Does Ohlins offer only one kit for the S? If so, why did you choose the Ohlins over, say the Teins?
3. Finally, how much was this kit? PM if you prefer with supplier and price.

Thanks.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the info Sloopy

PH, here's some info I found with a little search

Key features:
Old 08-24-2003, 11:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SEVNT4
[B]
Spring Rates:
Old 08-25-2003, 03:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by mwy23

or thats ~5.5k front, 8.3k rear
I think you mean 5.5 and 6.5
Old 08-25-2003, 10:07 PM

Sorry for the delay.

I bought the them from Naake Motorsports and they were excellent to deal with. I made the order on a Monday, they stated they would be hear by Friday of the same week or Monday at the latest. They arrived Friday. Naake sells shocks and custom shock rebuilding for the racing market only. Not only were they very good to deal with, they requested my feedback on the shocks so they can share with other owners. They can also service and rebuild as needed.

They have them listed for 799.95 each and gave me 10% off of that. Their web site is WWW.naake.com. I had sent Comptech several e-mails and received no info. When I called and asked about purchasing I talked to someone who new nothing about the shocks, gave me a firm price, and told me to call if I wanted to order. I guess they don't need the business so they got what they wanted.

My next purchase will probably be a supper charger. Given my experiance I will buy the Vortech.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:47 PM

Thanks Sloopy. Sounds like Naake is a rather knowledgeable, reputable shop catered to racers. I'll give them a shot. Do they carry the SHOWAs, marketed by SPOON? Iam leaning towards these or the Ohlins.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Ohlins installed and thoughts.