S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Oil on the Dipstick

Old 02-20-2001, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There has been a lot of discussion regarding failed engines, oil consumption and checking the oil.

When checking the oil you will find that there are "Xs" stacked on top of each other stamped on the dipstick on both sides to show the "normal" range of oil level.

If one side shows 2 "Xs" have oil and the other side does not show any, which side is the correct one?

Thinking it through: The dipstick goes through a tube that ends where there is oil splashed everyshere. If the dipstick is supposed to poke into and measure the level of a puddle of oil, wouldn't it make sense that it should be on both sides of the dipstick?

Please check both sides and use the lowest level as the correct level.

Woodwork
Old 02-20-2001, 11:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodwork
[B]There has been a lot of discussion regarding failed engines, oil consumption and checking the oil.

When checking the oil you will find that there are "Xs" stacked on top of each other stamped on the dipstick on both sides to show the "normal" range of oil level.

If one side shows 2 "Xs" have oil and the other side does not show any, which side is the correct one?

Thinking it through:
Old 02-20-2001, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SilverSurfer
[B]Woodwork, how about this..the other day I checked the oil and one side was all the way to the top when i turned it over it didnt register any no oil on any of the X's?
Old 02-20-2001, 12:11 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by SilverSurfer
[b]Woodwork, how about this..the other day I checked the oil and one side was all the way to the top when i turned it over it didnt register any no oil on any of the X's?
Old 02-20-2001, 01:24 PM

Silversurfer:

I would NOT be starting the car until there was oil all over the end of the dipstick.

I was probably not clear. When there is oil splashing all over inside the engine there is a possibility of oil being inside the tube. When the dipstick is pushed back down the tube some of this oil can get on the dipstick. If there is oil on one side and not on the otherside, the end has not been sitting in the pool of oil in the pan.

There must be oil on both sides of the dipstick.

It is ok to check the oil more than one time to get a feel of where the real oil level is.

HTH,

Woodwork
Old 02-20-2001, 01:43 PM

The reason both side isn't equal is that the dip stick isn't parallel to the pool of oil. It is normal of course. I would judge it with the lower side.
Old 02-21-2001, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all due respect Woodwork, I disagree. I went out to check the oil after reading another post about complaints of inconsistant readings. The car sat all weekend. I checked about 10 times trying to get inconsistant readings. I did notice that once, for some unknown reason, one side had absolutely no oil. All the other times it was up to the full mark consistantly, both sides. I think that the dip stick may rub against the tube when it is pulled out, and can scrap the oil off. I do recommend taking out the stick and wiping it clean before taking a measurement. I agree that if it's inconsistant, do it again.

I also checked the oil after running the car and it gets about 1/2 X low before letting the oil drip back into the pan.

Am I the only one who is comfortable about checking oil in this car? I find it as easy as any other car I've checked.

[Edited by S2WOOOW on 02-21-2001 at 10:30 PM]
Old 02-22-2001, 05:05 AM

Thanks woodwork, We appreciate your input. I have noticed an inconsistency also. It seems to be about one x different. Lower level is on the driver side of the dipstick. From the top, the tube looks like it may be just a little out of plumb. This may account for the difference.
Old 02-22-2001, 05:26 AM

Originally posted by wirejock
Thanks woodwork, We appreciate your input. I have noticed an inconsistency also. It seems to be about one x different. Lower level is on the driver side of the dipstick. From the top, the tube looks like it may be just a little out of plumb. This may account for the difference.
Same here!
Old 02-22-2001, 08:15 AM

I would say that if one side shows nothing and the other side registers oil it means that you are scraping the sides of the holder when you are reinserting the dipstick. Check the oil after the car has been sitting overnight and see if the reading in different. You are probably at least 11/2 quarts low.

Quick Reply: Oil on the Dipstick