S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Our s2000's are Aging (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/our-s2000s-aging-1105251/)

Gotpepsi 11-10-2014 01:23 PM

Our s2000's are Aging

Because our cars were discontinued years back, Ap1 parts are also slowly being discontinued. With age, miles, and accidents, fewer cars are being sold in stock and good condition. Currently my car has 105,xxx miles and others have 140k+ on their cars; knowingly that these cars can't necessary last forever, have any of you all stock piled parts to keep them running as long as possible? What is your plan of action once these cars get older and is it even reasonable to plan that far ahead?

I feel that our cars are finally becoming dated. Newer cars have push button starts, keyless entries, navigation, Bluetooth and sensors everywhere. Our s2000s are very basic. Does that bother any of you all?

HUNTERANGEL121 11-10-2014 01:43 PM

OEM parts may be discontinued. But I don't really think the market is dying.

But once a car is like 30 years old, then it would be pretty hard to find parts...
Basic cars aren't a bad thing... In fact, I'd rather not have all of these sensors and assist stuff.

Adrenalize 11-10-2014 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi (Post 23400214)
I feel that our cars are finally becoming dated. Newer cars have push button starts, keyless entries, navigation, Bluetooth and sensors everywhere. Our s2000s are very basic. Does that bother any of you all?

Bro we got dat push button, just gotta flick that key and push da clutch.

Secondly, and more seriously, the fact that the S2000 is very basic is why they are so fun to drive. They take nothing away from the driving experience and let you experience driving in its purest, most raw form. These cars are sought after for that very reason.

GSteg 11-10-2014 02:35 PM

It's suppose to be basic. If you want bluetooth and all that stuff, then a Z4 or Porsche Boxster may suit you better.

HUNTERANGEL121 11-10-2014 02:36 PM

Compare it to older civics, E36 m3s, and such. As far as I know, there's still a market for them.

cosmomiller 11-10-2014 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Adrenalize (Post 23400244)

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi' timestamp='1415658239' post='23400214

Secondly, and more seriously, the fact that the S2000 is very basic is why they are so fun to drive. They take nothing away from the driving experience and let you experience driving in its purest, most raw form. These cars are sought after for that very reason.

:thumbup:
Very basic and very good at what is does. It seems that when a certain technology is replaced by something newer, it takes a while for the newer to really match the older. Examples are vinyl records and the very good zero tangential turntables, amps and other components that most "modern" stuff cannot touch in music quality. Look how good reel to reel machines are/were compared to what we have now!

Our little rear wheel drive car is a great engineering achievement. When is an all gas 4 banger going to match ours? (Volvo is working on one) Perhaps with the ongoing development of 3D printing (seems to follow a "Moores" law in increasing ability) we will be able to make parts the way Jay Leno makes parts for his Stanley Steamers.

Who cares if we have a talking NAV system or 4G connectivity with the web when we are tearing into a curve? Do you need a trip computer to tell you that 128.269 miles are remaining or can you just see you have half a tank of gas?

Sometimes frills are fun. I really thought my 1964 Lincoln Continental was great with the remote vent windows, suicide doors and even a remote antennae switch. It is/was a different beast for a specific purpose too. The S is designed for one thing really, and it was designed and manufactured extremely well. It is a classic in my book. I am more than content with what I have.

HUNTERANGEL121 11-10-2014 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller (Post 23400331)

Originally Posted by Adrenalize' timestamp='1415659660' post='23400244
[quote name='Gotpepsi' timestamp='1415658239' post='23400214']I feel that our cars are finally becoming dated. Newer cars have push button starts, keyless entries, navigation, Bluetooth and sensors everywhere. Our s2000s are very basic. Does that bother any of you all?

:thumbup:
Very basic and very good at what is does. It seems that when a certain technology is replaced by something newer, it takes a while for the newer to really match the older. Examples are vinyl records and the very good zero tangential turntables, amps and other components that most "modern" stuff cannot touch in music quality. Look how good reel to reel machines are/were compared to what we have now!

Our little rear wheel drive car is a great engineering achievement. When is an all gas 4 banger going to match ours? (Volvo is working on one) Perhaps with the ongoing development of 3D printing (seems to follow a "Moores" law in increasing ability) we will be able to make parts the way Jay Leno makes parts for his Stanley Steamers.

Who cares if we have a talking NAV system or 4G connectivity with the web when we are tearing into a curve? Do you need a trip computer to tell you that 128.269 miles are remaining or can you just see you have half a tank of gas?

Sometimes frills are fun. I really thought my 1964 Lincoln Continental was great with the remote vent windows, suicide doors and even a remote antennae switch. It is/was a different beast for a specific purpose too. The S is designed for one thing really, and it was designed and manufactured extremely well. It is a classic in my book. I am more than content with what I have.
[/quote]
But with new tech, you could be like "Ok Google, how fast can I take this corner" right as you're turning....
And then the active lane assist chimes in because you went into another lane while talking to your car. :)

namedonelettere 11-10-2014 03:12 PM

Our cars were basic the day they came out. This is on purpose. Honda wanted to build a car with as little distractions as possible.
Just you and the road.
Also there are still not cars that have come to replace the driving experience of an S2000 for the middle class.

Mr. Slowly 11-10-2014 04:30 PM

Lololol. You funny. My second car is a 1992 Acura Legend. They shipped half a million of them to North America over the course of five years. Today, they are considerably more difficult to find or buy in any condition than the s2000. It is, furthermore, an unpopular car to own in 2014. I have no problem finding the parts needed, dealer or otherwise, to keep it on the road. There were a few years when manual transmission rebuild kits went out of stock and the end seemed truly near, but they've since reappeared. If you want OEM vanity parts like floor mats or shift knobs, sure, those are gone.

So buy a spare set of floor mats and you'll be fine.

MikeekiM 11-10-2014 04:37 PM

Hmmm... Why do you say that it's an unpopular car to own in 2014? I'm a big fan of the Legend, and based on the photo you posted, it looks like yours is in fantastic shape!

I love seeing older cars that have been taken care of by their owners... It is so easy to drive around in a 2 year old car in amazing condition... It's tons more difficult to keep a 10-20 year old car in the same amazing condition...