S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Our s2000's are Aging (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/our-s2000s-aging-1105251/)

GSteg 11-10-2014 04:41 PM

Keeping an older car like the Legend in good condition costs money as the newest one is already 20 years old. Cars cost less to buy as they get older, but the parts and labor stay the same. Doesn't make sense for a lot of people to buy a $2,000 car if a single repair can cost almost as much as the car's worth.

Mr. Slowly 11-10-2014 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by MikeekiM (Post 23400429)
Hmmm... Why do you say that it's an unpopular car to own in 2014? I'm a big fan of the Legend, and based on the photo you posted, it looks like yours is in fantastic shape!

I love seeing older cars that have been taken care of by their owners... It is so easy to drive around in a 2 year old car in amazing condition... It's tons more difficult to keep a 10-20 year old car in the same amazing condition...

Agreed! I love seeing 80s and 90s cars in clean shape.

Originally Posted by GSteg (Post 23400436)
Keeping an older car like the Legend in good condition costs money as the newest one is already 20 years old. Cars cost less to buy as they get older, but the parts and labor stay the same. Doesn't make sense for a lot of people to buy a $2,000 car if a single repair can cost almost as much as the car's worth.

That's exactly it. As reliable as the legend was through the 90's, time has caught up. Ownership ranks have really thinned out over the last five years in particular. Now I'm running into people who don't even know what the car is. If people don't ever see a particular car on the road, it just becomes any old car. Drivers around me on the road treat me quite differently in the legend now. I'm cut off more often and people a quarter mile up the highway move to the fast lane when I pull out. The Average Joe knows most old cars to be dirty and broken. How dare they get in his way.

RedCelica 11-10-2014 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Slowly (Post 23400546)

Originally Posted by MikeekiM' timestamp='1415669836' post='23400429
Hmmm... Why do you say that it's an unpopular car to own in 2014? I'm a big fan of the Legend, and based on the photo you posted, it looks like yours is in fantastic shape!

I love seeing older cars that have been taken care of by their owners... It is so easy to drive around in a 2 year old car in amazing condition... It's tons more difficult to keep a 10-20 year old car in the same amazing condition...

Agreed! I love seeing 80s and 90s cars in clean shape.

Originally Posted by GSteg (Post 23400436)

That's exactly it. As reliable as the legend was through the 90's, time has caught up. Ownership ranks have really thinned out over the last five years in particular. Now I'm running into people who don't even know what the car is. If people don't ever see a particular car on the road, it just becomes any old car. Drivers around me on the road treat me quite differently in the legend now. I'm cut off more often and people a quarter mile up the highway move to the fast lane when I pull out. The Average Joe knows most old cars to be dirty and broken. How dare they get in his way.

Im sure the same thing was said about the Chevelle in the 1980s...hang tight yall...time will tell.

Da New Yawka 11-10-2014 08:26 PM

These S2000s are pretty bullet proof mechanically. So that should help long term.

redlineracing 11-11-2014 02:42 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong,but I think every car maker is required to make OE parts or license them to be made for 20 years.After that,aftermarket parts makers may take over.Should not be a problem.

\rlr
Carolina

takeshi 11-11-2014 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi (Post 23400214)
I feel that our cars are finally becoming dated. Newer cars have push button starts, keyless entries, navigation, Bluetooth and sensors everywhere. Our s2000s are very basic. Does that bother any of you all?

No -- it as like that when they were new. If one wanted a bunch of features then an S2000 was the wrong choice.

billios996 11-11-2014 08:34 AM

The simplicity of the s2k is what will make it relatively easy to maintain long term. From my experience, it is the excess of sensors, computers, displays and other BS electronics that fry first. Fortunately, our cars are pleasantly analog, like tube amps and record players ( :tipwink: Cosmomiller). It's the soft parts will fail on us - bushings, hoses, gaskets, seals. This is where we'll see our cars aging. We're already seeing drive train mounts turning into a common forum topic, for example.

not4s4l3 11-11-2014 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi (Post 23400214)
Because our cars were discontinued years back, Ap1 parts are also slowly being discontinued. With age, miles, and accidents, fewer cars are being sold in stock and good condition. Currently my car has 105,xxx miles and others have 140k+ on their cars; knowingly that these cars can't necessary last forever, have any of you all stock piled parts to keep them running as long as possible? What is your plan of action once these cars get older and is it even reasonable to plan that far ahead?

I feel that our cars are finally becoming dated. Newer cars have push button starts, keyless entries, navigation, Bluetooth and sensors everywhere. Our s2000s are very basic. Does that bother any of you all?

Guys here answered most of the questions. As per my nick I intend to take mine to my grave! (brrrr!-I'll need a big coffin!)

On a serious note, have a look at some threads here with people still running strong at 300k+ that is awesome imho and a think
to be proud of! :)

Chance S2K 11-11-2014 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121 (Post 23400235)
Basic cars aren't a bad thing... In fact, I'd rather not have all of these sensors and assist stuff.

Originally Posted by Adrenalize (Post 23400244)

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi' timestamp='1415658239' post='23400214

Bro we got dat push button, just gotta flick that key and push da clutch.

Secondly, and more seriously, the fact that the S2000 is very basic is why they are so fun to drive. They take nothing away from the driving experience and let you experience driving in its purest, most raw form. These cars are sought after for that very reason.

Originally Posted by namedonelettere (Post 23400357)
Our cars were basic the day they came out. This is on purpose. Honda wanted to build a car with as little distractions as possible.
Just you and the road.
Also there are still not cars that have come to replace the driving experience of an S2000 for the middle class.

All of this!

So many newer "sports cars" end up being just as bulky and overloaded as their economy class counterparts. IMO a sports car should be minimal, it should do one job (go fast) and do it well. The driver and the road.

kevinS2OOO 11-11-2014 09:29 AM

The S2000 is aging, but it ages very very well. Both appearance and mechanical wise. The S2000, even the AP1, doesn't look like a 10 year old car at all.

There will come a day when parts are hard to find but the car is so well-engineered that it will last longer than you expect it to. And because it is simple the difficulty of fixing anything won't go beyond what a Japanese 4 cylinder level.