S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Plans for the Future. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/plans-future-263267/)

Incubus 01-24-2005 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Will,Jan 24 2005, 08:36 AM
There's a big difference in your parents buying you one when you were 17, than a 14 year old planning to buy one in two years. In two years there will be something faster/trendier/morepowerful out there, that he will probably want instead. He's FOURTEEN, have you lost all touch with reality or have you never in your life met a 14 year old? My point is, if he's 14 and obsessing enough to buy a car, that tells me a few things: one, he's a car nut (not a bad thing). two, he's going to do what ANY car nut would do, in his first car ever, that just HAPPENS to be an S2000 (good job, mom and dad) and that is try to impress whoever is watching from outside/sitting in the passenger seat. A previous poster told a story almost EXACTLY like what i'm describing. I'm not saying this 14 year old will CERTAINLY drive like he's superman, but i'd rather him be behind the wheel of a car with less power potential (and thereby less temptation to test the car's limits--being conderably lower) than in the S2k where the temptation could prove to be too great. Drive something else first. You'll live longer.

On a side note, I do know what I'm talking about; my fiancee's parents made her drive an old Volvo 240 the first two years she was driving. She did fine. Having proven herself, they promply bought her the first BMW Z3 in New Mexico. Six months later they bought her an M3.

Prove yourself first, then treat yourself to the reward. OR get someone else to treat. Whatever. ;)

Prove yourself first? I'd say that, if this guy works hard enough to buy aa car for himself by the time he's 16 years old, then he's doing a good job. That may also be incentive not to rag out the car, if he's footing the bill. It's okay for you, Will, to express opinions, but such remarks as "lost all touch with reality" and "parents must be stupid" are not called for here. I can't imagine you in a room speaking to people and crushing a 14 year old's dream. Speak your mind, just tone it down a bit.

vietdo 01-24-2005 02:41 PM

all you gotta do is work hard n save up :) hell... im 17 and i own a s2000 :) so dont lose hope!!!!

DC_AP1 01-24-2005 02:57 PM

Well here's my story, when I was 15, I wanted an S2000. By the time I turned 16, all I got to drive around was a stupid Echo :LOL:. Finally turned 18 and I got pretty good at driving. I'm 20 now, for the past two years, I've been in Performance driving schools, went tracking, many auto-cross events and even some drifting events.
I'm actually glad I didn't get the car when I was 16, some minor accidents happened because I didn't know how to drive, expected it to happen from myself and my mom. But god am I glad I didn't get it, probably would've died. I got around to mod a turbo'ed IS300 and it was even harder to control than the S2000. Now I'm upgrading to an STI.
I know it's hard to control the urge to want one, let alone buy one. Been there and done it.

Just to give an example, we have a friend who's 17, bought a DC-5 when he was 16, totaled the car because he was dumb. Mommy and daddy bought him a TSX, crashed it, fixed it, then sold it for an S2000. Then he STILL hasn't learnt his lesson, neither did his parents and they bought him a 2005 S2000. Now after 500 or so miles, he wanted to BE COOL and showoff to his friends, did some stupid stuff in the mountain, and crashed it AGAIN. Another $15000 worth of damage was done.
The funny thing was, the cop told him, how could you have caused so much damage while you were going 50km/h in DRY ROAD?? :LOL:

Take your time with your life, it's worth way more than showing off to your friends and stuff.

webdiva 01-24-2005 05:34 PM

You can start karting now. It'll teach you good driving skills. When you get your permit, get your parents to take you to Autocross practices. Some of our fastest drivers in Vixen Racing started out karting.

Study hard. Don't do drugs. Be nice to your parents.

See you in '07, kid.

Miike505 01-24-2005 06:23 PM

hahaha. . . you should have not even asked. You should have refered to my post about a few months ago when i was 15. Oh and by the way i'm very happy with my S2000. I'm sure you will be too.

78roadrocket 01-24-2005 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by webdiva,Jan 24 2005, 09:34 PM
You can start karting now. It'll teach you good driving skills. When you get your permit, get your parents to take you to Autocross practices. Some of our fastest drivers in Vixen Racing started out karting.

Study hard. Don't do drugs. Be nice to your parents.

See you in '07, kid.

Best advice yet I think..don't get discouraged by people telling you that you can't or shouldn't do it. Just make sure that after all your hard work and practice you don't prove them right. Good luck with everything, and keep your head on straight.

-Rocket

tmkpres 01-24-2005 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by DC_AP1,Jan 24 2005, 03:57 PM
Just to give an example, we have a friend who's 17, bought a DC-5 when he was 16, totaled the car because he was dumb. Mommy and daddy bought him a TSX, crashed it, fixed it, then sold it for an S2000. Then he STILL hasn't learnt his lesson, neither did his parents and they bought him a 2005 S2000. Now after 500 or so miles, he wanted to BE COOL and showoff to his friends, did some stupid stuff in the mountain, and crashed it AGAIN. Another $15000 worth of damage was done.
The funny thing was, the cop told him, how could you have caused so much damage while you were going 50km/h in DRY ROAD?? :LOL:

Take your time with your life, it's worth way more than showing off to your friends and stuff.

Your friend is lucky to still be alive !

If you really want the S and your parents have the money to get it for you then I guess the people on this board are really not going to change your mind.

But if you do PLEASE be responsible and you dont have to prove anything to anyone !!!!!!

Victor

Will 01-24-2005 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Incubus,Jan 24 2005, 03:17 PM
Prove yourself first? I'd say that, if this guy works hard enough to buy aa car for himself by the time he's 16 years old, then he's doing a good job. That may also be incentive not to rag out the car, if he's footing the bill. It's okay for you, Will, to express opinions, but such remarks as "lost all touch with reality" and "parents must be stupid" are not called for here. I can't imagine you in a room speaking to people and crushing a 14 year old's dream. Speak your mind, just tone it down a bit.

:banghead: ... 'cause... working hard, and saving money = being able to drive well and not harm yourself and others? :confused:

Reading your posts is frustrating (as i'm sure mine are frustrating to read also) because you just don't seem to get it. Case in point, do you remember Mark Wahlberg? Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch? At the age of 14, he had dropped out of school, was selling drugs off of his mother's porch, and ran with some thugs who mugged people for fun. He himself hit a man walking out of a liquor store with a piece of wood, striking him in the EYE, causing him to lose it (the eye). Yet this did not stop him from making/saving enough money selling drugs to purchase two nice cars, one of which was a BMW 325i, before he was even old enough to legally drive them.

I sell auto insurance for a living. I do know what i'm talking about. I see 15 and 16 year old kids walking in and wanting to buy insurance. Don't get me wrong, i'm VERY GLAD they're being responsible and making themselves legal. But it breaks my heart when some kid buys a $2000 car and then ends up paying $200+ per MONTH just for liability insurance, or worse, $350+ for full coverage. Let's say you're in high school. Realistically working 20-25 hours per week. Making maybe, $6.50 to $7.00 per hour. You're going to bring home between $400-$450 per month. They spread themselves so thin it's ridiculous. You'd think they would value their car and privilege of driving quite a bit, no? No. 90% of them don't. Accidents, tickets, suspensions, oh my. In my experience people 18-23 have the most tickets, but drivers 16-20 have the most (and most severe) accidents. Hence the high rates.

It's a fact that more than 60% of new drivers have one accident before the age of 18. Would you rather that accident be in some POS Volvo, or in a S2000 that you've worked so hard for? You suggest i'm being too harsh, but i'm just being realistic. Give the kid a break; you're dangling a carrot in front of his nose that's laced with poison.