S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Possible Owner Has Questions bout S2K/Financing.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Owner Has Questions bout S2K/Financing.

Hey all, well after working for a while, making some good cash, its time to get a new ride. After days, weeks, months of contemplating if i should get a convertible, i decided im only young once (19), and go ahead with it. At this point, I've considered the BMW Z4, 01-04 SLK230K, and possibly a 350z Roadster, but I highly doubt the last one. I would ideally like to get a new car, and lease it, and was curious to know just how well the car holds its value in comparison to the other ones. I'd be pretty bummed out if theres low residual value left on the car when I'm through with it. I was planning on putting about 5gs down, and get payments as low possible, 36 months, 15k annual mileage. Wanted to get some insight from people who have leased/financed and share their experience.
One problem, or shortcoming should I say, is that I dont know how to drive a manual.
yeah i know, start bashing and all, lol im expecting a fair share. but i was curious as to if its easy to learn on the car without screwing up the clutch, etc.
Was also curious about the comfort level in the car, im bout 5"10, kinda bulky guy lol so just wanted to get an understanding of that.
I test drove the Z4, 2.5 Litre and was pretty impressed with the smoothness of the car and was hoping that the s2000 would be just as smooth, if not better. I'm sure performance wise, s2000 will spank it, but in terms of luxury, smoothness, is it as good, worse, or around the same.
I really appreciate all the help, and I hope to make the right choice with some good advice. Trying to wrap this up when schools out, summer's in to put the top down and cruiseee.
thanks again
Old 04-21-2005, 06:47 AM

1.) I hope you're not going to let car payments run your life and keep you too busy working to go to college full time. Make sure and get an insurance quote for all these cars before making your decision.

2.) I'd say get a manual beater first for a couple months in case you get stopped going up a hill or something. You also don't want to be replacing the clutch on the S2000 by the time the lease is up.

3.) It's true you are only young once, and that's no time to be an indentured servant. Also, what happens if you are 19 and all of a sudden have a bunch of tickets and can't afford the insurance but, still have 3 years left on the lease?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:23 AM

As for the clutch it depends how quick you pick up driving a stick. You can beat the clutch up pretty bad in a day (like a female friend did to my clutchmaster race clutch on my old car when trying to teach her) but you can also get the hang of it within a few hours.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

at 19, you probably are not making enough money. yea, you can "afford" a lease payment, but at what cost.

Unless you work for a rich relative, it is very unlikely you are making $50K a year or more.

I can say this: you may be able to afford the car, but you won't have time to go to college FULL TIME. THAT is what you should focus on.

Too many of my friends spent all their money on cars at 18 or 19 and still hold crappy paying jobs because they didn't go to college. The nice car so young literally ruined their financial lives. It happens all the time.

Yea, you may be able to swing community college part-time, but it is definitely not the same thing as "real" college.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:10 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

If you lease, you don't want to put any down. Better to do a no money down, higher payment and keep the money in the bank. If something happens to the car, you'll loose the downpayment.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by steven975,Apr 22 2005, 06:39 AM

Too many of my friends spent all their money on cars at 18 or 19 and still hold crappy paying jobs because they didn't go to college. The nice car so young literally ruined their financial lives. It happens all the time.
Eloquently stated in a blunt manner. Dude, you are being warned/advised about sinking into a financial abyss. Don't be the fat kid with a pocketful of quarters in a candy store!
Old 04-22-2005, 08:18 AM

ya if ur in college i would not have a luxury car. U have to worry about people stealling it one, and two worrying about car notes while in college is not a good thing. I would just get a beater and learn how to drive stick while in college, then get the car when you get out. Oh, and another thing, iwouldnt lease either, waste of money cuz a S is a car you are gonna wanna drive and u will prolly put more miles than the lease lets u on it...
lastly, i would have some minimum driving skills (manual tranny) before drivin the S
Old 04-22-2005, 10:51 AM

If you cannot pay cold hard cash for a car, you cannot afford it period.

Disclaimer: There are no initiatives within this post to crap this thread. Unit-X (and affiliates) reserve the right and is not responsible for any possible mischievous behavior by any other member regarding to and or relating to this post. Unit-X (and affiliates) and the board of s2ki shall under no circumstance have liability in comfort, consoling, or any kind of grieving otherwise provided by a another user and/or any third party. Unit-X (and affiliates) reserve the right to not give a shit even if Unit-X (and affiliates) has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Signs of ignorance, sophomoric, and lack of common sense is futile and should not be taken lightly. Those who fall under this category is advised to log off immediately and seek professional help. This post does not apply to those who can pay cash for the car but have money waiting for other things such as housing, investments, bitches, or children schooling. Read at your own risk.

Unit-X
Old 04-22-2005, 03:58 PM

I had a lot of fun when I was 19, and none of it revolved around what I owned.

If you need to rely on a large purchase to enjoy life (at any age), I suggest you make more friends or find a hobby.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by allkingz,Apr 22 2005, 03:58 PM
I had a lot of fun when I was 19, and none of it revolved around what I owned.

If you need to rely on a large purchase to enjoy life (at any age), I suggest you make more friends or find a hobby.

I was so poor growing up, if I hadn't been born a boy, I'd have had nothing to play with...

Quick Reply: Possible Owner Has Questions bout S2K/Financing.