S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Previous Gen Mustang GT v. S2000

Old 01-29-2001, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tonite, my friend and I ended up at a light against a Mustang GT. It had huge exhausts, huge wing, clear corners and the dude had racing seatbelt pads so he was serious. So it's our Celica GT-S v. the Mustang. hahaha

my friend's crazier than i so we're jetting down this four lane w/ median road with lights every block or two at 100mph+. like i said crazy... and off the line, the GT-S stuck it out pretty well... but once we got into fourth gear or so going up hill, it was no contest and the GT pulled and that mile stretch of road went by really quickly.

So now i'm wondering.. although i don't have the balls or wits to drive this fast on a city road late at night (no other cars), i'm wondering how my s2000 would do against this car from a light if i dropped the clutch and did that Sev thing.

the rush was amazing. is the s2000 that fast cuz i've heard that our car can pull on the new GTs pretty easy and can hang with the cobras at speed. if it is that fast... DAMN I AM GETTING MESELF TO A DRIVING SCHOOL TOMORROW.
Old 01-29-2001, 11:17 PM

Eazy answer. The S2000 is in a totally different league to a Celica (ie. a lot faster) and so you'd do a lot better in the S2000.

To give you a perspecive on local numbers:
- S2000 0-100km/h =6.6secs
- Celica GT-S 0-100km/h = 7.8secs.

And this is only to 100km/h, after that the S2000 is a lot quicker than the numbers here indicate.
Old 01-29-2001, 11:21 PM

i'm talking on the streets, though. you remember that topic where i showed you guys talk on the newcelica.org board about a GT-S taking an s2000? street perspective.
Old 01-29-2001, 11:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I routinely "administer smack" (as the kids like to call it today) on Mustang GT's...especially the earlier versions. In fact, I don't consider the garden variety GT much of a challenge at all...

No big deal...
Old 01-29-2001, 11:45 PM

'on the street' performance - here you have 2 options:
a) You either do an 'idle' launch and then floor it.
b) You rev it and drop the cluth and then floor it.

If you're doing (a) in both cars then S2000 will roll over the Celica. If you're doing (b) then it will roll over the Celica even more. The Celica has similar engine to the S2000 but a fair bit weaker (and smaller). I know that the Celica is ligther but not by that much while the S2000 has a fair bit more power.

Even if bellow 7k revs the Celica can keep the S2000 honest, that will last only the 1st 2-3 secs (until you hit 7k revs for the 1st time). After that you're at 6k+ revs while you keep the foot down (and shift) and then you're flying away.

Celica can 'hang' with the Prelude VTIR, but then again Prelude is not in the S2000's league ... even in terms of 'on the road' performance. Celica can't match TypeR Interga (in all the tests here the TypeR whoops the Celica in every respect) and that still does not match the S2000.
Old 01-29-2001, 11:49 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GT's of any generation are no match (stock) for the S2000. If you lose to a stock GT let alone a GT-S you should turn in your keys. Beating a cobra comes down to a good launch. Loosing to one would not be as shameful. Mustanks are easily (and cheaply) modified and that's always a danger. An exhaust, ECU and CAI will put them out of reach.

Mr. Needle why are you always talking about such nonsense. S2000 vs. M3, S2000 vs. ///M, S2000 vs Audi, S2000 vs. Mustang. How many of these cars have you actually driven? Are you just talking shit or is there some point to it?

It sounds to me that you are just dreaming about owning a car to impress your friends with. What are you driving presently?
Old 01-30-2001, 05:35 AM

The current model 4.6L GT is pretty fast but is still no match for the S (stock vs. stock). The previous body style 4.6L is a joke and pig. You don't even need to launch and you should easily take them. The older 5.0's are probably the most formidable and when stock are no match for the S above about 5 MPH. The S2000 is an amazingly streetable car when driven properly. I find that most Mustang owners are delerious and think that they own Ferrari's or something. I have had many Mustangs try to race when I'm on my bike (CBR 900 RR w/ schnitzer turbo) which is completely ludicrous. It's fun walking away from them on one wheel though.
Old 01-30-2001, 08:05 AM
Sev

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B]The current model 4.6L GT is pretty fast but is still no match for the S (stock vs. stock).
Old 01-30-2001, 08:15 AM

CBRs... nice. This GT was definitely modded. And it's hard for me to envision the S2000's power. If it can walk the GTs, then I'm sold and maybe even over my head on this one.

And Cthree, what's the problem, old man? I've driven most of the cars I might've mentioned in my topics, not all. And what does having driven/not driven the cars have to do with anything? What if they exist and I see them, read about them, friends own them, et cetera? It seems that these topics do get a lot of interest and input. And the point is, there's more to cars than the S2000. I'm planning on buying one, but f-ck that if I'm going to sit pretty and talk about headrest pad modifications, leather console covers, "what kind of mileage are you getting?" polls, and blindly admire the little engine that could. So if discussion surrounding the S2000 and car-related topics is something you don't want on this board, then just lock up the topics or move them like you and your mods have been doing so freely these days, whatever. I really don't care. Other than that, I say just do your own sh-t and let me and others who are car fans enjoy a solid internet board you set up.

And Greg, you no longer should feel you have to put a disclaimer on saying things like, "you go, dawg!" or "laying the smack down." Your driving ability and the things you do in that freakin' Scarlet II of yours entitles you to speak like a crazed lunatic. haha Props to you, bro!
Old 01-30-2001, 08:33 AM

About the Celica...I'd imagine the S2000 would leave it with a bleeding ass. A guy I know had trouble racing a Prelude SH. Granted, driver does play a huge roll, and later...that Celica guy trashed his ride, but still. I have to agree with DavidM on this. Space, I'd bet on the S over the Celica anyday so long as the S driver wasn't making frequent stops at the local nursing homes to check on his girlfriend of 85 years.

And yeah...CThree, you got a fine bulletin board dude. People enjoy it, I love it an' don't even have the S2K. but Space is right, I mean, why not compare the cars?? R&T, C&D, MT, an' damn near every other big car mags do it...why shouldn't we talk about street racing? After all...that's what the S2K's made for, and if you drive it any other way...I'm sorry, you're wasting your time...just pass those keys over to my broke ass and give me a shot at coming close to Sev's times...

Quick Reply: Previous Gen Mustang GT v. S2000