S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Problems buying S2000 out of state

Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems buying S2000 out of state

So, I was looking to purchase one more S2000 and it's been very hard to find one in the local, so I started searching out of state. I found one I was looking for in another state.

I talked to the seller confirming details of the car (clean title, no accidents, stock, etc), ensured the title was in sellers name and details matched up, talked through process of getting a PPI and going to the bank (doing a wire between banks) to complete the transaction if everything looked good. After getting the verbal ok with this process, I then booked a flight (non-refundable) to come see the car.

I get a message after I booked saying they do not want to show the car due to concerns about getting funds. I tried explaining that the wire was guaranteed and that would be the most secure way to do the transaction. Despite my efforts to explain and establish trust, the seller refused to deal with me and show me the car. At this point, I was down $500, not to mention the loss of time.

Has anyone had similar problems buying an S2000 or other car out of state and how did you deal with it? Is there a better process for buying cars out of state that safe guards both the buyer and seller?
Old 02-06-2016, 05:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my car from AZ via eBay. I was scared, never purchased anything this big on eBay before. For flights I always buy southwest, can cancel the flight and reuse funds another time. I told the seller we can go to the bank together and get a cashiers check or cash when there, after I see the car and I'm satisfied with PPI. The seller was awesome and I got lucky.

Sorry to hear about your situation, but it might be that they found another buyer.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are so many scams people are afraid to get ripped off. A quick google search says bank wires can take days sometimes and can also be reversed or have the funds frozen. If that is true or not I don't know but it is enough that I would not accept a bank wire.

Is there a reason you can't do cash/cashiers check? If the car checks out go to the bank together and get the cash/check and sign the car over. Since it is out of state you may have to open an account with a different bank that is in both areas before you go.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Simple word for private sale or purchase: Cash.

Or buy a S2000 from a reputable Honda dealer who has fully inspected and serviced the car just before the sale. Mine even had the brakes flushed and new fluid put in; alignment, etc.

-- Chuck
Old 02-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased many cars out of state, including multiple S2000's. I also recently sold one to an out of state buyer. You can usually feel somebody out over the phone and make sure both parties are feeling comfortable with the terms. If each party has the others drivers license, copy of title, and bill of sale, that should help. The seller can also hold the car until the funds hit the account. The seller can also accompany the buyer to the bank to ensure the wire is legit.

Maybe the seller got a better offer, or sold it to a local buyer...
Old 02-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I flew down to Little Rock, AR to get my AP1, was on craigslist down there. I arrived with cashier's check in hand, seller was waiting for me at the airport, drove us to his house. I then took it for a drive alone, came back, signed the title and left.

Beforehand, I got the seller's full name and address and did as much background online as I could. Google street view from 2007 showed their very nice house, AP1 in their driveway, confirmed seller's age, etc...
Old 02-16-2016, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I was a seller I wouldn't trust a wire transfer. Too make scams these days.

Last car I bought was out of state. I booked a flight, the guy meet me at the airport, drove me back to his house, i checked out the car, paid him cash, and he signed the title.

Cash is king

Even when the seller pays me cash, I still whip out a counterfeit pen to check if the cash is real. I am that paranoid about getting ripped off lol
Old 02-17-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gotpepsi
If I was a seller I wouldn't trust a wire transfer. Too make scams these days.

Last car I bought was out of state. I booked a flight, the guy meet me at the airport, drove me back to his house, i checked out the car, paid him cash, and he signed the title.

Cash is king

Even when the seller pays me cash, I still whip out a counterfeit pen to check if the cash is real. I am that paranoid about getting ripped off lol

Ditto this except I got a cashiers check from my bank(chase) went to his bank (Wells fargo) who verified the funds. Seller signed the title and I was on my way driving back home. I don't like the Wire transfer Bull
Old 02-17-2016, 11:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cash or Cashier's check is the only form I would accept when selling my car. A wire transfer is a big no no for me.

If you can procure a wire transfer, there is no reason why you can't get the cash or a cashier's check in the first place.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

The purchase process needs to be mutually agreeable with the payment process detailed in a Bill Of Sale. I've bought cars using cash, Cashiers Check and wire transfer both in state and out of state. The process needs to be detailed in the Bill Of Sale which can be as detailed as both parties feel necessary. With computers/scanner one can generate the Bill of sale, sign the form, and send it as a PDF file to the other party to sign.

Quick Reply: Problems buying S2000 out of state