S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

pwsutton

Old 02-10-2020, 02:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry pwsutton

Have had a new mohair soft top fitted by a UK firm which I won't name at present. It is unsatisfactory in a number of ways:

1. Above 60 mph the wind noise in the car is almost deafening. Sometimes, depending on weather conditions, it is excessive even at lower speeds. I was never aware of wind noise with my shabby old top.
2. In wet weather water is coming into the car at the front of the passenger window. I had a problem before along the whole length of that window and fitted a new seal. The problem is now just at the front but such that, when I first move the car, there is a mini cascde for several seconds. This, of course, is leading to condensation and, at times, the underside of the roof is covered in large droplets of water which drip on me as I drive.
3. The heated rear window scarcely works. It clears a space about 1 mm either side of the electric strips but can then take another twenty minutes to clear any more.

I have taken the car back to the firm twice since the fitting. A representative has driven the car at high speed on the motorway. He refuses to acknowledge that the wind noise is excessive even though it is like driving in a wind tunnel. He says I must expect condensation. It is perfectly normal. He clearly did not believe me about the heated rear window and I could not demonstrate at the time.
Eventually he said that, if I could find a fitter who would give a written guarantee that any new roof fitted by them would eliminate all wind noise and condensation then he would give me a full refund. I said that was not reasonable as nobody could guarantee to completely eliminate these and I would not expect to have absolutely no wind noise or condensation.

I am wondering if any other owner has had similar problems with a new soft top or, otherwise, if you have been completely happy. I am also wondering if anybody would be willing to take me for a drive in an S2000 on which a new top has been fitted so that I can compare. Also I would like another owner to come with me so that they can hear my problem (and feel it, too, if it is raining hard). I live in Petersfield, Hampshire, UK

Thank you

Peter Sutton
Old 02-10-2020, 04:26 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Post this over in the UK part of the forum you might get a few more local answers Click me for uk ireland section

There has been some people with bad fitted tops and good examples it just depends on how its been done ( stitched and sealed )

Did it have a glass rear screen in before this new top ?

a lot of people recommend a place in south wales ( Jack Smiths in Swansea )
Old 02-10-2020, 05:22 AM

Received 1,344 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Here in the States most go with Canvas replacement tops (we call them tops). The original too was vinyl, of course. In fact, I suspect few here in the States under a certain age have even heard of mohair before.

The troubles you describe are not at all common with replacement tops here. So its difficult to say if the issue is the top material or the quality of the install.

You'd know more about the viability of this material in general for this purpose, for a convertible top on a sports car. I'll assume its a well known entity over there, and considered suitable and not associated with the issues you're experiencing.

I do know the top fitment on these cars is more fiddly than many other cars. So someone without direct S2000 experience, even if otherwise expert in installing convertible tops, might trip over some things.

But some.of the issues you describe, like water droplets forming on the interior roof, and dripping down, it's difficult to associate that with anything other than the material the top is made from.
Old 02-10-2020, 09:10 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

Very strange, I replaced my mohair and now with no holes there is no leak and it reduced some of the noise rattle from the frame. I still think the car is like being under a heavy wind tunnel at 85+mph