S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Random Technology High Flow Cat

Old 06-07-2006, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random Technology High Flow Cat

After a long search on the forum, i found that the best aftermarket product is the Random Technology high flow cat, i found also that random tech must use a 4" cat to equal in performance the oem cat.
But on their website, they propose a direct fit cat for the S2000, is it a 4" version, or do we need to buy a 4" universal cat ?

Every comment are welcomed

Sab
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 AM

Spend your money on a test pipe or elsewhere.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:47 AM

I have already a test pipe but i need a new cat to pass the vehicle inspection here in belgium and my oem ca is broken.... And of course, i don't want to spent 1500$ to buy the oem one (yes, it's the price here)
Old 06-07-2006, 05:30 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a used one from these boards. They usually run $50.

By the way, it's not recommended to run a high flow cat with a supercharger or turbo. FWIW.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since my cat was used as the "test pipe" for Random Technologies to develop a cat for our cars I'll speak up.

When they received my cat they found that it flowed almost as well as their 3" version. They said it didn't flow enough better for them to feel comfortable advertising it as a "high flow version" when compared to stock. They also said our cat flowed more than any other OEM cat they'd ever tested.

They had to go to a 4" cat to flow enough better to be worth selling an S2000 replacement. Yes, it fits. Just like the OEM cat the center is bigger than the in/out pipes.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:40 AM

. . .
Old 06-07-2006, 07:11 AM

Sorry for the double post, it keep coming back saying an error had occured and didn't show my post
Old 06-07-2006, 07:19 AM

What I dont understand is that a test pipe will give you a power gain, but a hi-flow cat will not. whats the differnce?
Old 06-07-2006, 07:55 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think we need to differential between the S2000's OEM "high-flow" cat with aftermarket "high-er flow" cats. Since our cars already come with the hi-flow type, a higher-flow aftermarket type does not always mean a "better" one. However, in the OPs case, since he's looking for a new cat, then sure, get an aftermarket one if it'll save some money over a new OEM one. But then, the suggestion of finding a used OEM one is the best option of all if it's only for passing vehicle inspection.
The more application question to ask here is, "Will the R.T. cat pass inspection?"
Old 06-07-2006, 09:41 AM

I can tell you if it will pass the vehicle inspection since i work for the belgian national office of the vehicle inspection and i'm currently managing all the aspect of the emission check here, and of course i have all the testers and all the stuff to check the emission of the S2000.
We don't check if the CEL is on for each car, we just do a check for the emission and the car need to be under 0.3% of CO at 2500rpm and at the idle under 0.5% of CO, for the lambda, it's near 1 with a tolerance of 3%. That's it.
This year, we will introduce for the first time in europe the OBD check for the vehicle, for emission, engine management, ABS, airbags, ESP and all the safety stuff.
It's one of the reason that i can't stay with my test pipe, if my boss find that i run with a test pipe, i will be fired...

So i need to buy a used oem cat from someone here or an aftermarket....

Thanks to everyone for your help...

Sab

Quick Reply: Random Technology High Flow Cat