S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rattles? (Again, especially with hardtop...)e

Old 09-12-2003, 04:09 AM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Rattles? (Again, especially with hardtop...)e

I've mentioned this before, but what's the latest consensus about rattles in the S2000?

I have a rather new car that's driving me up the wall because it has little plasticky click/click kinds of rattles on rough roads that are driving me up the wall. Stuff like that just completely drives me crazy because no matter how well the car drives it makes me feel like I'm driving a Kia. Therefore I've been thinking of taking a substantial depreciation hit and swapping it for an S2000, as if I'm unable to enjoy my current car I might as well have something else (John Ritter should prove yet again that life's too short to be upset at things like how much your hard top rattles.) My dealer's got their last 2003, and frankly I'd rather have the original with the 9K RPM redline than the new 2004 model, so I would need to decide quickly.

If you have a hardtop, your input would be especially appreciated. I know that most convertibles have lots of squeaks with a hardtop as the body flex makes movement against the top inevitable yet torsional rigidity is really only provided by the windows if they're up.

I have to admit I've had pretty bad luck with interior trim rattles of late; my 2001 Audi TT had more than my 1997 Jeep Wrangler did, ironically enough.

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-12-2003, 06:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BillK
I've mentioned this before, but what's the latest consensus about rattles in the S2000?

I have a rather new car that's driving me up the wall because it has little plasticky click/click kinds of rattles on rough roads that are driving me up the wall. Stuff like that just completely drives me crazy because no matter how well the car drives it makes me feel like I'm driving a Kia. Therefore I've been thinking of taking a substantial depreciation hit and swapping it for an S2000, as if I'm unable to enjoy my current car I might as well have something else (John Ritter should prove yet again that life's too short to be upset at things like how much your hard top rattles.) My dealer's got their last 2003, and frankly I'd rather have the original with the 9K RPM redline than the new 2004 model, so I would need to decide quickly.

If you have a hardtop, your input would be especially appreciated. I know that most convertibles have lots of squeaks with a hardtop as the body flex makes movement against the top inevitable yet torsional rigidity is really only provided by the windows if they're up.

I have to admit I've had pretty bad luck with interior trim rattles of late; my 2001 Audi TT had more than my 1997 Jeep Wrangler did, ironically enough.

Thanks in advance...
What year is your stook? Any TSB's you can have the dealer do to take care of some of those rattles?
Old 09-12-2003, 06:58 AM

the s2000 with hardtop rattles much less that a regular one, the soft top rattles occasionally.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The hardtop will rattle especially over rail road tracks and crappy road. I have had my hardtop for over 2 years now and it always rattles more. It doesn't drive me nuts, but it is very noticeable especially compared to having the top down or the soft top up. I will get a single weird dash rattle very infrequently that goes away with a with slap to my dash!!
I have 40k miles on a 2 1/3 year old car. I would say compared to most cars, especially my buddy
Old 09-12-2003, 08:16 AM

Originally posted by BillK
....my 2001 Audi TT had more (rattles)....
I can solve most of your rattles...don't buy a TT, they are dog shit..no offense, but....
Old 09-12-2003, 08:48 AM

yeah there is a reason why they created the site named "www.myaudittsucks.com"
Old 09-12-2003, 08:57 AM

Maybe pm the hardtopguy.
He installs them and if you tell where the rattle is coming from maybe he can help.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:42 AM

i have same problem although it's only when i have the hardtop on. it seems to be coming from the upper right latch that secures the top to the car. that's why i leave it off in city driving...is that bad?
Old 09-12-2003, 03:20 PM

There are a couple thing you can try.
1. If it's making a creaking noise try lubricating the rubber seals with either Shin-etsu grease, or spray silicon on a rag.

2. Check your front latches to see how much tension they have, they should take some force to snap shut when you close them. Also check the front strikers on the window frame to see if there getting a groove warn in them from the latch hooks. I had the original latches and strikers replaced on mine because the original latches had almost no tension at all and the strikers were worn. The new latches are noticeably tighter than the original ones ever were (I think they may have redesigned them).

3. While you're checking the strikers make sure there tight, mine came loose because they didn't put loctite on the screws. If you put loctite on the screw make sure you use the blue kind, if you use the red you may never get the screws back out.

4. If you do replace the latches and strikers put a small piece of black electrical tape in the strikers were the latch hook grabs hold to prevent future wear.

I hope some of this info helps, I know what you're talking about with the rattles and squeaks. My hardtop is a lot more quiet now.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by 106Dart
There are a couple thing you can try.
1. If it's making a creaking noise try lubricating the rubber seals with either Shin-etsu grease, or spray silicon on a rag.

This is the only noised my hardtop makes. My latches are silent, but the back rattles around a bit on nasty roads. I figure it's normal...it rarely bothers me.

Quick Reply: Rattles? (Again, especially with hardtop...)e