S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

real "mag" wheels...

Old 07-14-2001, 07:19 PM
dbw

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real "mag" wheels...

apologies first for sounding a bit out of touch, but is anyone making real magniesium wheels for the street?? in the *cough* old days i used to buy campi wheels for my racing abarths and they were indeed a sight to behold..strong and soooo light[with that telltale yellow/green oxide paint on the inside surfaces..].a friend had some BBS two piece wheels on his corvette with spun aluminum rims and magniesium centers[[not to mention cool composite brake cooling funnels that mounted to the outside of the wheel itself]...again,racing units but way light for their immense size.. my assumption is that these days aluminum is the material of choice for street applications..but is anyone aware of "real" mag wheels our there????
Old 07-14-2001, 08:28 PM

I have been doing quit a bit of wheel searching over that past few weeks, and remember seeing at least one set of true magniesium wheels. I will sift through my bookmarks when I get to work on Monday. I doubt they had an application for the S2K, though.
Old 07-14-2001, 11:06 PM

Doesn't Volk have a magnesium version of their TE-37?

http://www.volkracing.jp/lineup/volkracing/te37mag.htm

However, it doesn't look like they have anything to fit an S2000.
Old 07-14-2001, 11:39 PM
dbw

yea..mebbe...but "mag" has become a bit generic and right below are te37 "gravel"..what's that all about????
Old 07-15-2001, 12:07 AM

i am sure speedline make a magnesium wheel, my brother has a set on his 01 cobra mustang, but it may be a composite, ie a mix.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:03 AM

Yes ... Speedline makes magnesium wheels but not any of them will fit on S2000s ... I have a confirmation from Italy, that's where it is originated from. The offsets don't suit us, I'm afraid so. But they will be good if they do rather than just seeing them in video games is tempting.

Old 07-15-2001, 02:11 AM

Originally posted by blacks2k
i am sure speedline make a magnesium wheel, my brother has a set on his 01 cobra mustang, but it may be a composite, ie a mix.
ie alloy
Old 07-15-2001, 02:11 AM
Col

Here in Oz Simmons make full magnesium wheels but do not recommend them for road use. Magnesium is a lot more brittle then the aluminium alloys although much lighter. They also have to be specially protected as they oxidise very easily.

Simmons make a lot of race wheels and can make any offset / width / diameter using their three piece but at l;east here in Oz the magnesium race wheels are very expensive but with the Oz peso being ~1/2 the US$ you should get a very good deal.

Their reputation for race wheels is second to none and have been in business for lots of years.
Old 07-15-2001, 02:25 AM

Sounds good to me ...

Old 07-15-2001, 11:36 AM

Have you checked if any of Technomagnesio's wheels fit the S2000? I know Comptech used to sell magnesium wheels for the NSX, and I think they were 17", but I don't know about the offset. Anyways, if you want to contact Technomagnesio to find out, their homepage is www.mimwheels.it.

Quick Reply: real "mag" wheels...