S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Rear fog lamp

Old 12-24-2001, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear fog lamp

I was watching Motorvision on Speedvision and they were compairing the Porsche Boxter s and the s2k. When they showed the rear of the s2k there was a fog lanp intergrated into the bottom lip on the rear bumper. Not liking the way people drive in fog, my thought is whether this can be retro fitted or not. Has anyone done this, or are there members with cars that have this feature?
Old 12-24-2001, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this thread! Siepel does a good job of explaining it.
Old 12-25-2001, 06:02 AM

I may be the only one in NA who's fitted the rear fog light so far. After I installed it a few weeks ago, I told Siepel how to do the cutout; he needed to install one fairly quickly so his NA model would meet Euro specs. I haven't done the wiring on mine yet; that's a project for later this week.

The light attaches to a couple of plastic studs that project insde the bumper, and are exactly the distance between the mounting holes on the light brackets. You have to carefully do the cutout using a home-made template. The switch is identical, and functions the same as the cruise control switch; it will fit in the blank on the right side of the dash - except it rocks the wrong way. You also need a switching relay and a seperate fuse. It's almost impossible to get the light to function exactly like the Euro model unless you want to spend countless hours taking off the dash panel to get to the CPU behind the gauge assembly, but with minimum wiring, you can turn it on and off (only) when the headlights are on.

Here's a pic of the foglight and brackets, and another pic with it installed:

Old 12-25-2001, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-25-2001, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by FSures
I was watching Motorvision on Speedvision and they were compairing the Porsche Boxter s and the s2k. When they showed the rear of the s2k there was a fog lanp intergrated into the bottom lip on the rear bumper. Not liking the way people drive in fog, my thought is whether this can be retro fitted or not. Has anyone done this, or are there members with cars that have this feature?
So which did Speedvision recommend, the Boxter S or the S2k?
Old 12-26-2001, 06:15 AM

Motorvision said that the S2000 was a pure sports car with no frills. The interion showed where they saved money and the build quality was not up to the Porche standards. They liked the S2000. Said the Porche motor lived on torque and the S2000 lived on revs. Also said that a few options on the Porshe bought 2 S2000's.
Old 12-26-2001, 12:08 PM

I wish someone had a digital copy of this. Loved it when the S2000 was sliding around all the corners! And to see the two of them ripping through the snow-covered hills was awesome.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Y2KS2K,Dec 25 2001, 10:02 AM
I may be the only one in NA who's fitted the rear fog light so far. After I installed it a few weeks ago, I told Siepel how to do the cutout; he needed to install one fairly quickly so his NA model would meet Euro specs. I haven't done the wiring on mine yet; that's a project for later this week.

The light attaches to a couple of plastic studs that project insde the bumper, and are exactly the distance between the mounting holes on the light brackets. You have to carefully do the cutout using a home-made template. The switch is identical, and functions the same as the cruise control switch; it will fit in the blank on the right side of the dash - except it rocks the wrong way. You also need a switching relay and a seperate fuse. It's almost impossible to get the light to function exactly like the Euro model unless you want to spend countless hours taking off the dash panel to get to the CPU behind the gauge assembly, but with minimum wiring, you can turn it on and off (only) when the headlights are on.

Here's a pic of the foglight and brackets, and another pic with it installed:

Do those brackets holding the fog lamp housing come with the fog lamp housing? Or are they part of the USDM bumper cover? Or would I have to get these separately?
Old 11-29-2008, 12:56 PM

Thumbs down

Thanks for bringing back a thread from 7 years ago...
now please
Old 11-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

What's wrong in bringing back an old thread? People always complain to use the search function instead of posting a new thread.

Quick Reply: Rear fog lamp