S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Replacement Tires

Old 03-19-2001, 10:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by s2k000L
did you go with the stock sizes.....
Yes, mine are stock sizes. This is the third set of tires (2nd after the oems) so I am glad for the break in price and longer lasting. I havn't decided what to go with next. Maybe oem on Spoon wheels or A032Rs with 245 rear, and 205 or 225 front.
Old 03-19-2001, 10:45 AM

S2KALI

The reason I want info is I have not been real happy with the S02 tires. I have hydroplaned a couple of times on wet roads when I was not going overly fast. I caught it ok each time with no mishaps other than loss of pride and courage on future wet roads. I am not real concerned about cost other than I would like to get a little better wear as the Stook is my daily driver. I am not concerned about cold but am very concerned about the wet. I am also lazy and really dont want to have to have the tires shipped and then ask someone else to install. I would rather buy at Costco or Goodyear and have them handle it. Not asking too much, am I?
Old 03-19-2001, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by Prolene
Originally posted by s2k000L
Dunlop Sport 8000's all around....
I am currently running SP8000s as well. They do not have as much grip but are much more progressive than stock or AO32Rs; I can sense limits of adhesion and adjust via throttle or brake. This is fun for me and inspires confidence in what the car is doing. The limits of adhesion are still very good, but track wise it would probably result in slower times.
I want to add my testimonials to Prolene's SP8000s as I've taken a ride with Prolene in his car, and I was VERY impressed (scared) with the tires' performance in the canyons' sharp sharp turns at speed. The tires gave all the proper warnings as it's about to lose it, and I daresay that Prolene has pushed the SP8000s far more than I would dare on the S02s since my experiences with my S02 is that when you lose grip, there's no warning at all (drifter's dream?). I was very impressed with SP8000s.
Old 03-19-2001, 11:56 AM

I stuck with S-02 OEM's after reading all the discussions b/c despite the slight price diff in other tires I looked at, at 189 a tire, I figured I'd (pardon the pun) stick with the OE tires beacuse they really do drive great for me, especially since my S2K only goes out when its dry. I changed my stocks out at 13900 miles and while they "looked" ok, the compound had changed already.
Old 03-19-2001, 12:26 PM

Legalrep,
I don't think you were asking too much. But your initial question was not very specific. Now that you've narrowed down you requirements (wet weather handling, better wear, local purchase and installation, handling not the biggest issue, etc.) I would recommend the same Dunlop SP8000 that others are recommending. I put these on my last car--an Integra GSR--and I felt they were an excellent purchase. I once had to drive nearly 100 miles through an El Nino storm and yet the SP8000s seemed to just grip even more than in the dry--great reassurance in such a crisis. One other suggestion, go to Tirerack.com and input your requirements into their online configurator. It will provide you with a good comparison between brands. And you don't have to purchase anything. Just copy the name and specs of the tires and take the info to your local Discount Tires, Costco, or Goodyear center and buy them there.

PS (for others interseted). I found that my local Honda dealer charged the least amount to install tires I ordered from Tirerack. Just $60 to balance and mount. They even agreed to receive the order so I didn't have to figure out how to put four tires in the S2K.
Old 03-19-2001, 01:19 PM

How do the Dunlop Sport 8000 compare with the Micheline Pilot Sports? Is it the consensus of most who have replaced their tires with other brands to go for bigger, i.e. 225 on front and 245 on rear to approx. the factory S02s? Also, is it ok to just change the rears for now if I change brands or is it much better to replace all 4? Lastly what kind of warnings do you get from the Dunlop sport 8000s before they cut loose? It appears they may be better/safer than the S02s since there have been threads about the snap oversteer problems. Would the Dunlops or Michelins cure or lessen this problem? So many questions. Never concerned myself with tires on my other cars. Thanks for all input.