S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Talk (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/)
-   -   Replacing your convertible top with a Robbins Top (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-talk-1/replacing-your-convertible-top-robbins-top-448840/)

TookayS2K 08-08-2007 01:07 AM

Getting mixed answers here... but I guess your right though, gosixers215. Its really not that much work to take the roll hoops out.

TookayS2K 08-08-2007 10:43 PM

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Good news/bad news

Good news.. got a handy friend to come help me with my install.

Bad news.. He lost two screws AND cut my TENSION WIRE.

He thought the new top was going to supply its own and decided to finish removing the top while I was getting something to drink. My driver side tension wire is now in two pieces. What should I do?!

I hope honda supplies them.

Cyclon36 08-09-2007 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Teawins21,Aug 9 2007, 01:43 AM
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Good news/bad news

Good news.. got a handy friend to come help me with my install.

Bad news.. He lost two screws AND cut my TENSION WIRE.

He thought the new top was going to supply its own and decided to finish removing the top while I was getting something to drink. My driver side tension wire is now in two pieces. What should I do?!

I hope honda supplies them.

Part numbers 7 & 11: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...=SOFT+TOP+CLOTH

You're out $24 bucks plus shipping. Best thing would be to call around and see if a local dealer has one in stock first.

TookayS2K 08-10-2007 10:54 PM

Thanks again cyclon. Luckily my friend only managed to cut one side. I stopped him as he was getting ready to do the other. No dealers around have them in stock. One is being shipped and wont get here till thursday...

hieu512 11-15-2007 07:50 AM

nice write up, i am getting mine in next week, do you guys know anyone can help with the installation in austin, Texas?

thanks

Synchro 11-15-2007 06:17 PM

Got my top today - fantastic packaging, and I can vouch for the OEM-grade materials.

A little update tough: in the write-up it is said that Robbins doesn't include the front straps anymore, but my package does indeed have the front two bow straps, as well as the two long rear bow straps. Wonderfully enough, it also comes with those little nylon plugs needed to fill the holes left from removing the tonnau snaps. They are pure OEM goodness, just like the ones in my g/f's MY07.

And let me just say; my god, the stench! PVC preservative reeks to high heaven!

Can't wait to get this top on my car.

www.topsonline.com was great to me.

Noizemaker 11-15-2007 07:27 PM

Mine dind't come with the plugs. I got hosed! :)

my2ks2k 11-16-2007 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by Noizemaker,Nov 15 2007, 08:27 PM
Mine dind't come with the plugs. I got hosed! :)

:iagree:

it is a great top though. IMO much more expensive looking/feeling than the oem top. synchro get ready to spend a LOT of quality time with your car :D

jlstyle82 11-16-2007 10:57 AM

Wow that's some skill right there!

Synchro 11-29-2007 05:09 PM

Dang that was easy!

Even with the issues I had with my chinese rivet gun, this was an eeeeaaaassssy project.

If you know how to use a ratchet, screwdriver and a rivet gun, you should definitely try this for yourself. There are some random fitment issues I ran into, but I am certain it's just due to the normal variances from top to top as they are produced. The current front-page write up wasn't quite as accurate for me, as the upgrade kit came with re-engineered long straps that install differently than the ones pictured. They require drilling only two holes in the #4 bow, and none in #3.

Took the advice and cut up my old top to make form-fitting patches to protect the side pleats, and even went a step further and smoothed off the edge of those plastic flaps with some 600-grit sand paper.

There's still some smoothing/ironing (not literally) left to do in order to get some of the wrinkles/creases out, but I fully love this new top. It's handling the nasty weather amazingly as well!

For anybody who was like me and wasn't sure whether to get the defroster grid or not - don't bother unless you've got an MY02+. The glass does fog up if you just sit in the car without running the vents, but just running the vents at all clears it up in a minute or two - almost as fast as with the defogger grid turned on.

Awesome instructions, awesome product, and an awesome project to do over a weekend. S2000's are super-easy to work on, and you'll gain a new appreciation for how well these cars were engineered.