S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Ringing metalic sound at >8K RPM - Is it normal?

Old 11-16-2000, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While sitting behind a traffic light, I was bored so I decided to rev the engine and listen to it. I noticed that at and above 8Krpm, there is s background ringing metalic sound. It is not coming from the interior and definitely from the engine since I am able to hear it consistently after numerous trials.

Does anybody else notice the same sound?
Thanks!
Old 11-16-2000, 12:20 PM

Ditto, I think. At high rpms under acceleration, there is a distinct ringing sound. At high rpms under deceleration, there is a distinct rattling 'bucket of bolts' sound which I used to think was in the exhaust, but which I've recently heard attributed to the clutch by those who have had the grind repair. I haven't been able to isolate the ringing source.
Old 11-16-2000, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I get this ringing sound at the track. It has even come through on some of the video tapes from not only my car, but another S2000 (not Nick's). I thought I was losing my mind (or what's left of it) ...

In Alex's S2000 the ringing was much more pronounced. It is an odd sound...I haven't been able to figure it out as I'm usually very very busy when I hear it!

Any thoughts as to what this could be?!?

Old 11-16-2000, 12:56 PM

me too, metallic jingling at around 6k rpm and up. I never noticed it till it got colder and I started driving more with the top up.

It seems to be coming right from the stick, like the gearshift knob has a bell on it or something.

anyone else??

Old 11-16-2000, 01:56 PM

Someone once told me the "bell" sound can be produced by the timing chain. I've only heard it while accelerating very hard.
Old 11-16-2000, 02:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

never heard it and i hit VTEC each time i drive. btw- for some reason i cant imagine hitting VTEC in neutral... i guess there would not be a problem doing it, just seems without airflow the engine might not disburse the heat quickly enough?
Old 11-16-2000, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by asin:
I noticed that at and above 8Krpm, there is s background ringing metalic sound

Does anybody else notice the same sound?
Thanks!
As I noted earlier the ringing or bell sound only occurs in my car when accelerating very hard. Not just zooming through VTEC but powershifting above 8000 near redline. When you release the clutch there is a distinct "bell" ringing sound. Someone on this board thought it was produced by the timing chain "popping". The noise is usually accompanied by a chirp from your tires.
Old 11-16-2000, 09:19 PM

I have the same ringing (bell) sound ever since I got the car. At about between 7000-9000 rmp is when the sound could be heard.

Back in the days, I took it to the Dealer and the Technician guy found out that the sound is produced in the gear itself.

He took the car up to that rpm range and while shifted into gear, he would then pulled the stick back and held it tight in that position, only then that the sound disappeared. For example, if you shift into 2nd gear and pull the stick and hold it tight in that position, that sound will disappear.

My car is now still at the dealership after the 1-2 grind fix because I brought this problem to the Technician guy...again.

As soon as I find out why or what is causing the sound, I will keep you guys updated.
Old 11-16-2000, 10:30 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Shift/tuning fork?
Old 11-16-2000, 10:32 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

someone said VTEC doesn't engage if speedo is at zero? i don't know

Quick Reply: Ringing metalic sound at >8K RPM - Is it normal?