S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

?'s for 00 and 01 owners

Old 10-17-2003, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget everything you hear..... '00-'01 are great S2Ki's. With your budget you should be able to get 1. The '02-03's will cost u much more when all said and done. The SPA yellows by me are always cheaper for some reason (yellow de-values i guess).

This is what i wish i knew before i bought mine.
Check for this stuff/good to have:
Glass widow is huge (I HATE THE PLEXI GLASS) - hard to see out of just LAME nice Honda.
Clutch replacement a must - weak original clutch plate (ON SOME) TSB from Honda.
Window not going down automatically (they fixed for free) - this actually is a pain in the ass. I didnt think it would bother me it did.
1-2 Grinding - Is a problem with some cars, the Linkages are stiff, some grinding ... but its OK. Exaggerated like others have posted.

RECOMMEND: Get s2k from Honda dealer and buy if offered a bumper to bumper warranty 100K (its expensive to fix this car). Have them do ALL TSB's before it leave's the shop. Or if you buy it privately see if Honda will cover some of these TSB's (outlined above).

I got these things fixed for free (extended warranty) besides likages cause im going to live with the stiffness plus they deny a problem - ty Honda.

Breakdown of repairs after less than 30k miles:
$1300 clutch plate, window prob. $200 not sure, Plugs/Wires (TSB).... so on... warranty $1100. Covered. 100%

HOWEVER THESE ARE FAIRLY MINOR AND ITS A FANTASTIC CAR!!!!! THEY SAY NEVER BUY 1ST GENERATION OF ANY CAR. I DONT KNOW IF L8R YRS HAVE THESE PROBLEMS OR NOT.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RedY2KS2k
I can only speak about a sample of 1:

Old 10-17-2003, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks a lot everyone. This is all useful knowledge. To me the window is not a very big issue because I want a HT. Several of you mentioned trans fluid as well as learning to drive the car as a cure for the 1-2 grinding. What Trans fluid do you recommend. Once again, thanks for all the help and I hope to move from enthusiast to owner very soon.

Ryan
Old 10-17-2003, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few threads going in the talk forum right now about oils and fluids. If you want really technical info talk to Road Rage.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:19 AM

I've used Redline, Royal Purple, and Mobil 1 for my tranny but have gone back to the Honda MTL. I also change the tranny and differential fluids every 10k miles. It's easy to do with a lift.

As 3ngin33r mentioned, do a search to find all the info you can imagine.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:41 AM

(continued)

The stock stereo is a DISCRACE!! Not a big deal... to me it was
amp/Deck/sub/front speakers = $1100 at least. It rocks now but it's an additional cost. On top
of 30k - ty Honda.

City/Urban drivin is ROUGH - obviously. Im used to it now.

Noisy inside of the car.

With that said I Cant stop driving this amazing vehicle.
Old 10-18-2003, 07:04 AM

Old 10-18-2003, 10:08 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matth3wq
Forget everything you hear..... '00-'01 are great S2Ki's. With your budget you should be able to get 1. The '02-03's will cost u much more when all said and done. The SPA yellows by me are always cheaper for some reason (yellow de-values i guess).

This is what i wish i knew before i bought mine.
Check for this stuff/good to have:
Glass widow is huge (I HATE THE PLEXI GLASS) - hard to see out of just LAME nice Honda.
Clutch replacement a must - weak original clutch plate (ON SOME) TSB from Honda.
Window not going down automatically (they fixed for free) - this actually is a pain in the ass. I didnt think it would bother me it did.
Old 10-18-2003, 11:07 AM

similar experiences here...i have a black '01....my major bitch is my paint. It is completely full of paint chips.

I, like the rest experienced a few 1-2 grinds, but i haven't experienced it in about 9 months. My rear window is for shit, but i don't take very good care of it. I drive with the top down a lot. I wouldn't worry about the tweeters. Just install some rears.

I bought my S with about 7k miles on it a little over a year ago and am approaching 32k now. I drive the shit out of it...HARD! I have gone through tires like crazy, but that's about it besides a lot of oil changes. I did have the top latch strikers replaced with the hard top ones to resolve a very annoying rattle. My clutch disc buzzes still even after the tsb done, but a loud stereo covers it up nicely.

good luck! you will love your S!
Old 10-18-2003, 11:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 01 and the back window is fine as long as you take care of it. I'm getting a hardtop and snow tires for the winter since I plan on driving it more. The trans feels better when rev'ing higher, I've always noticed some clunkyness when granny shifting. If you trans is acting weird, do some 7k+rmp shifts and then see how it feels. It might just be my car but it seems like everything get 's back in sync.

Quick Reply: ?'s for 00 and 01 owners