S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

S2000 Performance Parts

Old 10-17-2001, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 Performance Parts

I'm taking a trip with a friend of mine who will be buying an S2000 next month to Japan. We're going there for the sole purpose of buying performance parts for the S2000. Anyone have any recommendations? I know it's kind of hard to extract more power from the S2000, for example, I believe it was SCC who did a dyno-test with the Neuspeed exhuast, and the S2000 actually LOST power. Your guys input would be really helpful and appreciated. Dyno sheets wouldnt hurt either
Old 10-17-2001, 02:49 PM

Pick up some JDM keys and have a group buy for the board. See this link.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...ghlight=jdm+key
Old 10-17-2001, 03:48 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DannyMKIV, great sig, btw...

Well, here's my take on thes whole idea going to Japan for parts like this. We went over to Tokyo in June and toured the Tochigi plant and Mugen...etc. Great freaking trip.

Purchasing stuff over there presents some unique issues...we didn't do it mainly because it would be a hassle to carry around. This is easily circumvented by having the company ship it right over, however. If you are going over thinking that it will be cheaper to get the goods over there, I don't think that is necessarily true - especially when you factor in shipping. I think you also need to factor in the tarrifs that may be imposed when you get the goods. I don't proclaim to know how that works, but you should get ahold of how it does so you don't get any surprises.

There are tons of tuning shops, many of which we visited, like several of the ones in HyperRev. Crazy little places that are hardly bigger than a 2-3 car garage...

This is all I can think of now...I'll post more if I think about it.

Tokyo is amazing place...you will have a terrific time!
Old 10-17-2001, 03:53 PM

Thanks on the compliment.

We're going mainly because well, it's an excuse to go to Japan for 10 days. Cost isn't really an issue with this guy, believe me he has more money than he knows what to do with, the parts he wants such as the JDM ish, like Spoon, Mugen, Zero Sports etc... are pretty hard to get over here. And we'd rather deal with real tuners as opposed to hokey guys in suits trying to make a buck which is sadly case with most companies over here (Neuspeed ahem). Either way we're going to Japan to buy parts and its gonna kick ass, we just need to know what parts are effective as far as tuning the S2000. I've always been into Toyota's, was never really a Honda fan, I saw an S2000 running at the street races on Saturday night, bone stock it was sitting right next to modded Z28's and Firebirds, really impressed me. My car (95 Supra w/ single turbo conversion) would tear it apart. But it was still VERY impressive to watch a n/a STOCK 4-cyl run right next to a modded muscle car Much respect. So...any suggestions on power adders for the Honda roadster?
Old 10-17-2001, 03:59 PM

Pick up a copy of the Japanese HyperRev edition, it has everything you might be interested in buying and the locations, addresses and numbers of the business including trading hours. Some places are quite easy to go like Mugen or Spoon but some performance tuners are out in less populated areas, it's not an easy effort for Japanese illterate tourists but I'm sure you'll find your trip a fruitful one. Don't forget to negotiate prices, Japanese are flexible when you tell them you come all the way for them, trust me.

Old 10-17-2001, 04:01 PM

Cool! Thanks man, any idea where I could get this thing before December?
Old 10-17-2001, 06:23 PM

tell me more about the Neuspeed exhaust losing power. This is one that i was considering but now perhaps Comptech is the answer.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:59 PM

sorry, but where did you see that info about neuspeed losing power? any dyno charts to prove your claims? because i have dyno charts that'll say otherwise.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by DannyMKIV
Cool! Thanks man, any idea where I could get this thing before December?
FYI-I have the Hyper Rev books in stock at this moment ($35.00 plus shipping).
Old 10-17-2001, 07:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny, since you are asking, I would start and finish with a tour of Mugen and outfitting the car with Mugen performance equipment. The Mugen HQ is in Saitama. I don't know, however, if you can actually buy stuff there. When we were there, we just about bought every piece of Mugen/F-1 stuff from their showroom gift shop, but I don't know about buying car stuff there...you may have to go through an authorized reseller. If you go Mugen, there are no chances of a loss of performance...

Other than that, the HyperRev book is a good source. You could find them at a Japanese book store perhaps, but Tim/MG Racing sells them, too.

We visited Honda Twin Cam and Type 1, which is a pretty big Spoon dealer. I think we hit a few others. Keep in mind that these little performance shops are pretty hard to find and you will be wise to have some local folks help you navigate not only the HUGE city of Tokyo, but it's kind of hard to get around if you drive. You should be aware that addresses are not sequential like they are here. Addresses were allocated to buildings according to the age of the building. That can really complicate things, as you can imagine!

Have fun and post when you get back...!