S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Was this S2K in an accident?

Old 08-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was this S2K in an accident?

I had finally convinced myself that an S2000 is not a practical choice for rural NH. I was just about to go get a quote on placing an order on a brand new blue 2013 Subaru WRX hatchback, but as I'm pulling into the dealer I spot this black S2000. Now the S2000 is my realistic dream car and among my top 10 favorite cars of all time. The WRX is simply the practical choice I had almost settled on. I at it looked high and low.

I would like some advice. Is this gap normal or was this car in an accident?

Was this S2K in an accident?-vfkwv.jpg

It is hard to tell from the picture but there seems to be a rather large gap on both sides of the bumper near the taillight. Also I was the gap between the trunk and the taillights seemed larger on the right side. I was able to stick my finger through the right gap but not the left. It was not a huge difference, but just enough to be noticeable.

Other pictures:

Was this S2K in an accident?-bz8mz.jpg
Was this S2K in an accident?-02vng.jpg

Also would anyone be able to run the VIN for me? Thanks everyone!
Old 08-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Syn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gap below the taillights is normal, and yes, it is annoying to look at. I wouldn't be too concerned. Check for matching VIN stickers on the body panels and run a Carfax.

These cars are fine for any part of the country by the way. Just get snow tires if you drive in the winter and you'll be fine.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:08 PM

Where is the location of the VIN stickers? I saw one under the trunk when I opened it. Where else should I look? Also what is a reasonable price for this car? It has 60K miles, a K&N filter (no other noticeable mods), and some small scratches (4 or 5 total), and one patched soft top hole.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

feel the lip inside the quarter panel and see if the fenders are rolled. and check this screw https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/438...er-conversion/

(the first picture)

if its over tightened it will cause a gap where you have pointed out
Old 08-16-2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by s2cho
feel the lip inside the quarter panel and see if the fenders are rolled. and check this screw https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/438...er-conversion/

(the first picture)

if its over tightened it will cause a gap where you have pointed out
I will check that out. Is it okay to post a VIN # here? If someone has car fax please run this for me: JHMAP21407S003667
Old 08-16-2012, 05:16 PM

yes that's normal, had exact same gap on my sebring ap2.

also, the vin stickers are on EVERY PANEL. literally, every panel!

starting from the front:
1) front bumper
2) driver side fender
3) passenger fender
4) hood
5) driver side door
6) passenger door
7) driver side rear quarter panel(it's located where the tire info should be, when you open the door you will see it, this is a SEPARATE STICKER FROM THE DOOR STICKER)
8) passenger side rear quarter panel
9) rear bumper
10) trunk

make sure you have all 10 stickers with matching vin!!! if you made sure all 10 vin stickers are present and match up, then there is extremely little chance the car was hit. if some of the vin stickers are missing, that obviously means the stickers were either painted over, or that specific panel was replaced due to damage.

a vin is also etched onto the firewall under the hood, you can see that clearly when you look under the hood. another vin plaque is also etched under the windshield in the dash.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:34 PM

Wow, thank you that is very helpful. Did not realize there were so many.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:51 PM

Can't run a free carfax, but here's a site where you can run an auto check report.... http://www.tecius.com/vin/
Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 PM

Just got to my desk and ran it real quick. No accidents were ever reported, but that doesn't mean it wasn't ever in one. As someone else said, the only way to be sure is to check the vehicle out in person. FWIW, my BB AP2 has the same gaps.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:10 PM

yup, confirming what the other people said, those gaps are normal for some strange reason. car looks nice from the outside. the hole in the top is a bummer though.

Quick Reply: Was this S2K in an accident?