S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The S2k and practicality

Old 09-08-2011, 02:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The S sure is practical - the roof even folds down to allow the carriage of large bits of timber (I did feel a little conspicuous though lol)

Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

I HATE owning a truck because some jackass friend of mine will always want to borrow it. Besides, if I need a truck, I can always borrow one from some jackass friend of mine.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by g0g3tt4
What I decided:
The S2k met my needs on multiple fronts and was a win win for me and the hatch can do the rest.
I'd rather rent the truck or Uhaul on the rare occasion that I need one, rather than pay the costs of bad gas mileage and upkeep. What I don't pay in those aforementioned costs is a savings.

Well like me you have a hatch so the S doesn't have to be practical. WIN WIN!!
Take away brutal winters, camping, skiing, long road trips/vacations, my summer cottage that's in the middle of the woods in which the S would get destroyed driving through, and a high theft rate area I sometimes travel to, I'd make it my one and only practical car.

End result: It's impractical for most people as a one and only vehicle, but for some it's all you need.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:07 AM

I have a daily driver so it works out. But honestly i don't think i would be able to have just the s2000, because i don't want to park it everywhere i go lol
Old 09-09-2011, 05:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned my S2000 for five years now and use it as a daily driver.

I've discovered that I rarely ever need a larger car. We have the wife's car, but that's a Mini Cooper S and isn't exactly a moving van either.

On a daily basis, I'm driving to work. Not much else. If I need a truck for a trip to IKEA or something, I go rent one, use it, give it back, and go back to driving something I love.

I've managed at times to fit two sets of scuba gear in the trunk (including tanks) as well as camping gear, paintball gear, and in one extreme case, Camping+Paintball+stormtrooper armor all at once.

If I can't fit it in the S2000, I don't need it.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As stated, as a one and only car, it really has it limits on 'practicality'. But great reasoning and deduction work there. That's how one needs to look at things when making a big decision, like buying a car.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Mike21
The best part about the S2000 is that if for that one day I need a truck or SUV to haul anything, I've got multiple trustworthy friends that wouldn't mind swapping for a day.
I find myself in this exact same situation. If I need to borrow a truck it isn't a hassle now because my friend knows that he gets to drive my S for the day!
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM

Admittedly, my S2000 is not a daily driver. However, I can comment on the ease and cost of maintenance, a major factor in the practicality equation. While the car is a bit of a tire hog, my only maintenance costs have been the routine ones per owner's manual, plus one gas cap, a couple of batteries and some wiper blades. That is for 9 1/2 years and 48,000 miles. The routine maintenance has been at typical Honda dealer prices, i.e., pretty much the same as on a Civic or Fit. I have not replaced any brakes nor the convertible top. I consider the S2000 remarkably easy to maintain for a highly tuned performance car. I also have a leased BMW 335i (model year 2011) and I would not dare own that [beautiful but highly demanding vehicle] when the lease and free maintenance end.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:41 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had an S as my daily driver for over 7 years. Practical, no, but practical enough. I can count on one hand the times I've needed a larger car.

And, yes, the maintenance isn't very demanding, and this car is super-easy to work on.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the pic with the Wood sticking out the top...
I find myself looking for places to drive... even if it makes the trip longer. YAY!
I feel like a grown up now... I have a trunk.

Quick Reply: The S2k and practicality