S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Sat Nav advice

Old 10-13-2018, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sat Nav advice

Are there any recommendations as to what sat nav sits comfortably in the cockpit or on the dashboard?
Old 10-13-2018, 04:19 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I just use my phone and Waze. I have a vent mount magnetic phone holder I use on the right side drivers vent. Puts the phone at a perfect viewing angle.

I know a lot of folks also like the Modifry mount...
Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by datadr
I just use my phone and Waze. I have a vent mount magnetic phone holder I use on the right side drivers vent. Puts the phone at a perfect viewing angle.

I know a lot of folks also like the Modifry mount...
This -
With a vent clip it sits at the perfect height and nothing is better than WAZE these days anyways. Looks fine also.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:29 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

I will tell you what I have used all over the west US, Asia, and Europe, especially those places far from celll service that eliminates phones and Waze.

You need a Bad Elf and just pair it to your phone or iPad. I use (and all the crews I fly with) City Maps2Go (Ulmon) for both phone and iPad. Download them before you go, use them offline. I do pair that with my TomTomVia and with the iPad. I have been able to navigate and find places you cannot find on a paper map or phone OTS. It was a Godsend in Ireland last year, driving around Iceland for 2 weeks 2 years ago (totally without cell service) and Italy this summer.

The TomTom can fit on my stalk by Akron mounted to the front pax seat bolt or a suction cup on the windshield. The iPad can also be mounted on the stalk (universal T connector) or just loose. The key again is the Bad Elf which is great. My airline allows its use with our issued iPads in the cockpit, it is far more accurate than the built in GPS in the iPad and gets better reception. Mine is the Pro + which also used the Russian constellation and has its own baro. I can use it backpacking as well. Battery lasts over 24 hours.
Old 10-14-2018, 01:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Response 1

Thank you for the comprehensive advice
Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I use the Modifry Dash mount with a RAM Mounts X-Grip and my iPhone running to the head unit. Great location, as it's at eye level and audio options + turn directions are available through the speakers. I'll second the notion to get some sort of offline maps app though. Going through the American SouthWest on a road trip a few years ago, I lost all nav ability. Not a problem, but I was also trying to find and reserve a hotel while on the road which was a huge issue.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:46 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I'm not convinced a mobile phone is a full substitute for a GPS (Sat Nav in the UK) receiver. Garmin has been my go-to GPS system the past few years. Inexpensive and both mine get updated features and maps several times a year by just plugging them into my PC. Quite different from the 2016 (I guess) data and maps in my year old, very expensive, Ford "Sync" in-dash system. I typically run redundant GPS systems and when Sync and Garmin disagree I take the Garmin route.

Took one of my Garmin's to the UK and Ireland 3 years ago with a UK/Ireland "Sat Nav" map chip in it; and downloaded the France/Belgium maps two summers ago in France. Car rental in both the UK and France could provide a Sat Nav system at extra cost -- more cost than buying the Garmin.

There are inexpensive mounts that use the CD slot in the radio as a mounting point. Good placement in most cars.

-- Chuck